PDA

View Full Version : cosmotology...

fisher2
August 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM
ok im going to cosmo to be a hairstylist but i have to learn everything else included in beauty so i was wondering what do i need to read up on now what are the hardest things to remember? i heard skin and nail desease but no idea on which deseases so i was wondering what ones do i need i would love to talk to someone whose gone thru it

kwaniesiam
August 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi there!

What school are you planning on going to? I go to Empire Beauty School, it's the largest chain of schools in the US. I'm going to graduate very soon, hopefully in a few weeks :D

I really enjoy doing hair, it really helps if it's something you've always wanted to do. Personally I didn't find the theory part of the cirriculum difficult at all. The textbooks my school provides covers everything and all of the tests are very simple multiple choice questions that were covered both in class and in the book.

I haven't taken state boards yet but I will be doing so very soon after graduation and will be needing to read up on everything. I think the hardest part is remembering state laws and things specific to your area that will be covered when you go over state board exams as well as the rules and regulations about sanitation. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me, and good luck! It's nice to hear from a fellow aspiring stylist around here.

fisher2
August 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
im doing a place called boces its like a tech school run locally

http://www.ulsterboces.org/CTCenter.cfm?subpage=332

chelssix
August 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm less than 200 hours away from graduating, and I can safely say that the theory isn't difficult- study DURING the course, and you will be fine.

fisher2
August 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
what things do i need to know? i heard i needed the scientific names of some deaseses and i want ro know what ones i need to know

Addy
August 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
It's hard to say exactly what you need to know and learn as all curriculum is different! You'll find that you not only need to know scientific names for nail diseases but also all the muscles and bones of the body too. Least I did! :D

fisher2
August 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
wow this is gonna suckkk lol but atleast i get to play with hair for a living after it

BrightEyes
August 28th, 2010, 10:56 AM
It's hard to say exactly what you need to know and learn as all curriculum is different! You'll find that you not only need to know scientific names for nail diseases but also all the muscles and bones of the body too. Least I did! :D

This is exactly what I was going to say. In addition to actual haircutting/coloring and nail diseases and such, I had to learn the systems of the body. I really had no idea we would be going into all that.

But you know what, I actually enjoyed learning it all. It was fun to see how the human body relates to cosmetology, such as how the skeletal structure of a person's head (roundness vs. flatness) made a certain haircut look really nice on that person. So go with the additude that you are going to learn all you can.....and have fun! I had so much fun at beauty school and made some of my very best friends there. It was one of the best times of my life.:flowers:

fisher2
August 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
well i found a site that has an online quiz type thing for it so thats cool i can take notes based on that quiz