PDA

View Full Version : The underwhelming hair club thread

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
This is a support club for those of us that have underwhelming hair (to other people, anyway) ie: it's not perfectly straight, or it's "too straight," "too thin" etc etc ad nauseam. For whatever reason, our hair is overlooked or worse, we receive negative commentary on it...

I'm at peace with my hair - I don't have the thickest or most awesome-est hair ever and I do not care, I can't remember the last time anyone said anything nice to me (in person) about it but I can remember the last time someone said something negative about my hair.

I say, OWN your hair, love it - it is what it is and it is yours, you are unique - you do not have to live up to someone else's ideal of what "good" hair is.

Gvnagitlvgei
August 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I can't say that others make negative comments but I certainly do and I've wanted to chop it off various times. This thread is a reminder to just love whatever, however it is. It just is and if I am growing it long, I take all the circumstances it finds itself in...tangles, breakage, dryness, oiliness, short strands, longest thin strands...all of it lol. Nice thread. And I'm not going to cut but will roll with the punches until I'm satisfied.

Cleopatra18
August 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I am in too,other people dont say negative comments about my hair too but I am the one who is defenitely not satisfied.I hate my ends,my natural texture and the growth rate ofcourse.I will need to post a big rant soon lol.thanks for this thread.

christine1989
August 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Mine is currently pretty underwhelming- wavy/straight combo with a good deal of frizz. I figure it could be worse. I'm glad it is not damaged or split. Still, it needs a lot of work to look like some of the awesome pics I see on LHC.

MsBubbles
August 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Great thread idea! My hair is thin, has no body to it, and hangs in pieces when I wear it down. I also have a really obvious roots problem:rolleyes:. But I am enjoying it! It's the longest I've ever had it!

Rennire
August 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
The only negative comments I get on it are from my family and I just tell them that I will not apologize for wearing my hair in its natural state. It isn't like I'm doing anything terrible to it, I'm just letting it grow and do its thing! My hair is frizzy most of the time and pretty thin too but that's okay. Having long hair might not make me look good but it does make me feel good!

Juneii
August 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Not sure if I fit here or not because I receive wonderful comment from everyone here. But in real life I get next to no comments on my hair. I live in an area where every girl owns a blowdryer, flat iron, and curling iron with a multitude of hair products. The pretty perfect hair is pin straight, smooth curls, or very voluminous hair. Whereas mine is just... there. It's straight but not the kind of pin straight you get from flat irons and while it is thick, it doesn't fluff or puff out like theirs do.
In comparison to the dyed, bleached, and layered hair of the asian girls I see here, my hair is quite boring and uncared for to others.

Despite all that, I have come to peace with my unbelievably dull hair and I now love it. :)

Centaur
August 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
My hair is underwhelming - It is not very long, and it is thin.

I don't get a lot of negative comments...well, sometimes my parents get on me again about cutting my hair and "getting a more stylish" cut.:rolleyes:

It is more that my hair is just underwhelming.

But, regardless of all the above, it is my hair, and I will do what I can with it and make the most of it.

triumphator!
August 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah mine won't really cooperate when it's down. It just hangs there awkwardly in a REALLY stretched out body wave, so it's almost straight, but not really...

virgo75
August 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
:lol: @ this thread title!

But thanks for making it. :)

My hair definitely qualifies: It's not thin, but not really thick either, it's super fine so that it doesn't "hang" very well. It just kinda sits there like a poofy black cloud of frizz. :shake:

Even when I try to encourage the curls, it mostly ends up being frizzy because of how fine it is. When I straighten it, it's still "puffy" because it's so fine.

But I'm hoping that I'll be happier with it when it's longer. :flower:

Qwerty Uiop
August 26th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I am so in!!!!

It has a very short terminal length, is a nondescript colour, thin, just wavy enough not to be straight, but it's my HAIR! I don't want to cut it off just because it will never be unusually long or otherwise compliment-worthy.

I mostly get rude comments from my parents. Everybody else pretty much ignores it because there isn't much to notice about it.

PrincessBob
August 27th, 2010, 01:47 AM
My hair is thick and tailbone long, but can be pretty underwhelming, I guess. I only really get comments when I am brushing it, or wearing my big hair sticks. It's a lackluster brown that is only mildly wavy, though it has a bunch of really kinky wires that mix and tangle with the rest of the hair and until this summer (and the LHC forums) could only really look "nice" in pride braids. It doesn't like to cooperate, even the simplest-seeming things like Rope Braids come out looking and acting quite erratic and unkempt.
Tough though it was, for one of the local fairs I wore my hair differently every day (that's 10 days, kids-- thanks for the tutorials!) and the people who saw me ever day were a little more forthcoming with the comments. Even then, they commented on my accessories more than the hair. I never wear it down, and because of the thickness braids take of a super great deal of length.
Meh. I may never be Godiva, but we all like to hear how pretty our locks are once in a while, right?

Toadstool
August 27th, 2010, 02:29 AM
mine is really short because I'm growing out a pixie and everyone hates my henna. (except me).
Love the thread title!

Katurday
August 27th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I'm in. A wonderful mixture of straightness and kinky coarse hairs leaves me with permanent "frizz". Its modaretely thick but looks not thick at all. Its very slippery and I've got poor coordination so I can't even impress people with bun or braiding skills. So what do I do? I'm growing it out and dying it funky colors. They can give me underwhelming hair, but they can't make me keep it that way!

This thread reminds me of a Sloan song.

Dreams_in_Pink
August 27th, 2010, 03:36 AM
A thread made for me! My hair's never looked "nice" unless it's styled in some way. It's always less than perfect. But i've learned to accept it because i cannot change it permanently.