PDA

View Full Version : Rude hair comments

Mariah!!
August 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I just was reading the thread about long hair sightings, and on one of the pages it said that a 15 year old girl with mid thigh length blond hair and a mom with mid back length hair were in walmart, and the woman who posted it that her daughter gets a ton of rude remarks on her hair all the time! I guess most people don't appreciate long hair these days. Well I know that people on here have seen my posts on how I hate that I never get compliments on my hair... I was just wondering about it and thought hey maybe I will start a thread! SO... do you get more compliments or nasty comments about your hair? Tell us the rude remarks you get about your hair!

CurlAhead
August 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I don't often get compliments, maybe about that it is curly (my straight-haired friends like curls, though they have never seen my 3b/c curls), but when I was younger and had curly (pretty frizzy :( did not know how to handle it, lol), long hair, they often said I looked like a witch or so, haha :p Or they sometimes said stuff like "Ohh.. how.. lovely hair.. *giggles*" I think it was the curls that was their problem, but I don't know. Now I don't care about what they though, because my hair is pretty messed up anyways these days. :rolleyes:

Soraine
August 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Someone once told me that if I grew my hair long, my head would look very small and swamped over by hair and it would be unattractive, and told me to get it cut. I think she was just jealous because she was forever complaining about her hair!

My good friends comment upon occasion how I look like a 'Greek goddess' with all my hair, and that really makes my day! Though I can't see the relation because I have really dark hair and it's straight. Doesn't really register with the image of sunkissed, blond, curly-haired Greek goddesses I have in mind. Maybe it's because of my updos, which are mostly braids.

bumblebums
August 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I usually wear my hair in a bun so nobody says zip.

RachelRain
August 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Well, since the threatening to cut my hair comments are more stalkery and annoying than rude (to me, anyways), I'll have to say everyone in my boyfriend's family, who seems to think it's both hilarious and original to ask me about the logistics of having long hair in the bathroom.

... yes, it's sooooooooo difficult to move it over one shoulder, right? And it's so amazing that one would consider this - my mother in law actually tells anyone who mentions my hair that 'she actually pulls it over her shoulder if she has to use the bathroom.' (Really, again, common sense. Why would that even be worth mentioning, especially to someone you don't know??)

Juneii
August 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
often it's just "your hair is so long!"

Lunami
August 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've heard things like "your hair really should be longer" when i had short hair. I cut it short to get rid of my dye but she would never understand something like caring for your hair or skin. However it really hurt me because i loved my hairstyle all though i did want to grow it longer. It did discourage me from growing my hair longer. It seems most young women think long hair is the only way to go and i don't like to "fit in" with that. I don't care for other peoples hair length, short or long. Just because someone has long hair it does not make them prettier in my eyes. Long damaged hair is not prettier than short damaged hair either...

So i guess i'll confess it right here that i think about cutting my hair short again from time to time. A big deal of that is probably the thing about me not wanting to look "the part".

RachelRain
August 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I've heard things like "your hair really should be longer" when i had short hair. I cut it short to get rid of my dye but she would never understand something like caring for your hair or skin. However it really hurt me because i loved my hairstyle all though i did want to grow it longer. It did discourage me from growing my hair longer. It seems most young women think long hair is the only way to go and i don't like to "fit in" with that. I don't care for other peoples hair length, short or long. Just because someone has long hair it does not make them prettier in my eyes. Long damaged hair is not prettier than short damaged hair either...

So i guess i'll confess it right here that i think about cutting my hair short again from time to time. A big deal of that is probably the thing about me not wanting to look "the part".

I loved short hair. I actually think I look best with it right about shoulder length. I've just always wanted it knee length and got repeatedly so fed up that I chopped it off to where I was comfortable with it, and this time I'm determined to get it to that goal before I lop it off. :) I do miss it though.

christine1989
August 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
When I had longer hair I don't remember getting either compliments or negative comments. Maybe if more people had noticed I would not have cut it. When I had a short pixie cut many people commented on it and all of the comments were good so I was inspired to keep it for a number of years. This is why LHC is so great- all of the positive feedback and encouragment from members keeps us all going even when those around us are negative or don't notice our progress.

Arielle8960
August 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
The rude comment I get that makes me really mad is "long hair is so scraggly"/"your hair is scraggly". Like "long" and "scraggly" somehow magically became synonyms. I've seen unhealthy long hair out there, but tons of not-so-nice mid-length or short hair and I doubt people are insulting short hair as being "scraggly".

I, too, hate that I never get compliments, but that's why LHC is so great. It's like a giant hug for your hair.

MissManda
August 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I always got compliments on my ~tailbone-length hair when I was a child and I am starting to get them now that my hair is at waist length. I did get one mean comment on how my "flat-ironed hair looked SO unnatural" a couple of weeks ago, but that's about it. :shrug:

I used to get a lot of nasty comments from my paternal grandmother, however. She hates my hair for some reason (she may or may not be jealous or she just might think curly hair is superior to straight hair, I don't know) and she would tell me how "flat, stringy, boring, unhealthy, and lifeless" my long, healthy, shiny, thick hair is. :rolleyes: She brainwashed me into thinking my hair was "thin," even though it would probably take all of my family's hair to equate to my ponytail and told me that my hair would never grow back once I cut it because it is so "fine." Ugh. All of those comments really hurt because everyone else seemed to absolutely love my hair. I never saw anything wrong with it and my 12-year-old self just thought that is how my hair was and accepted it. Now I don't live with or see her anymore, so I don't have to put up with that :poop:. I wish I had held onto my childhood self's wisdom, but I'm quite sure my hair is and will be in even better condition when my hair grows back.

irishlady
August 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
"Long hair makes your face look long, you should cut it."

To that person: Ummm no, I'm not going to cut it, and I have my personal reasons for not cutting it, and it doesn't make my face look long, you're just jealous.

I have also had people touching my hair, without my permission. It actually scares me and makes me feel sick, I don't like it when people touch me, especially ones I barely know! Just a matter of personal space.

Gumball
August 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It's always interesting, as a guy, to be told my hair makes me look like a girl. The rest of me apparently is far from doing that! Depending on the person, it's time for quick education!

I've had this conversation with lots of people younger than me, since usually those my age or older don't even bother with commentary. At least to my face anyway! Who am I to know?

"Does your mom ever wear pants?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Boys wear pants. Do they make her look like a boy?"

"No. Oh."

Aaaand lesson learned!

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I don't often get compliments, maybe about that it is curly (my straight-haired friends like curls, though they have never seen my 3b/c curls), but when I was younger and had curly (pretty frizzy :( did not know how to handle it, lol), long hair, they often said I looked like a witch or so, haha :p Or they sometimes said stuff like "Ohh.. how.. lovely hair.. *giggles*" I think it was the curls that was their problem, but I don't know. Now I don't care about what they though, because my hair is pretty messed up anyways these days. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid, the other kids called me Medusa due to my curly/wavy hair (it wasn't really frizzy though.) Sadly, they mocked a girl in our class that had the most amazing natural shade of red hair I've ever seen, it was dark red and her hair was curly, too. They called her "Ketchup Head." It is possible I may have said it to her as well, trying to deflect the bullying off of me - I still feel bad about that, nearly 30 years later. :(

I cannot remember the last time someone said something nice about my hair in person, but I remember a former coworker expressing her opinions about my hair - it was never "hey it's fine the way it is." I also remember long ago, a business woman I knew saying I would never get a job with hair like mine, it was "unprofessional."

It used to bother me even here on this board that the amount of comments I would get when I posted a photo were seemingly nil, but I stopped caring about that. It's my hair, I wouldn't change it for all the tea in China. If people think it's not thick enough, or not pretty enough or whatever that's their opinion and they can keep it to themselves. :D

Angeletti
August 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I would say the only rude comments I have gotten would be from my family. My sister often tells me I need to cut off some of my hair because it looks bad at the ends (I have fairytale ends at the moment). She also has told me that hair my length and longer looks trashy which I find is ridiculous. Yesterday I got two different strangers who told me I have gorgeous hair though, so I'm not going to take her comments to heart.

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I would say the only rude comments I have gotten would be from my family. My sister often tells me I need to cut off some of my hair because it looks bad at the ends (I have fairytale ends at the moment). She also has told me that hair my length and longer looks trashy which I find is ridiculous. Yesterday I got two different strangers who told me I have gorgeous hair though, so I'm not going to take her comments to heart.

Your sister is bonkers, trashy/classless is about behaviour, not how your hair looks! You could have the most society-approved hairstyle and be low-class and trashy by your behaviour. Ugh. Tell her to keep her opinions to herself.

trolleypup
August 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I think, for me, the ratio is something like 20:1 in favor of good comments!

Ahahaha! I've noticed that all the negative comments are from people I neither care nor want to impress.
It's always interesting, as a guy, to be told my hair makes me look like a girl. The rest of me apparently is far from doing that! Depending on the person, it's time for quick education!
Heh! I've only gotten this one (as well as the allied one about gayness) from older balding (and generally unattractive) straight? men.

"Oh, really? Women don't seem to have a problem figuring out I am a guy! Mmhmm!"

"And...in San Francisco, that is a problem?" (for the second)

ritza
August 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
one person said my head was too big for long hair...:mad:

Another said why grow it long its just going to coast more to maintain...:mad:

It doesn't look nice on me:confused:

It looks fake...etc:rolleyes:

Happy Hair Growing!

Quezie
August 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
People say the most ridiculous things. Ugh.

Really, most of them would be so happy to have long hair, but just don't have the patience to grow it before they cut it into the latest fashion.

MissManda
August 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Heh! I've only gotten this one (as well as the allied one about gayness) from older balding (and generally unattractive) straight? men.

The same is true for DBF. He generally gets these comments from the above persons, from jealous women, or from snarky high school brats. His parents used to nag him to cut his hair, but they have since given up to his and my great relief.

nowxisxforever
August 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I guess I'm pretty lucky, long hair in my area is not uncommon- so I don't really get any negative comments. about all I get is 'Oooooh, your hair is LONG!' or a compliment..I got asked if I was Irish the other day because I henna! That's about all.

lpsqt60
August 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
When I was young I got told all the time that I looked like a witch or Alanis Morrisette and that my hair was so stringy, it really hurt back then but then again I never cut it to spite them all,ha ha.
Nowadays everyone says your hair is so long, you should donate it and I tell them F off, I'll do what I want, but that is pretty rare.

tinti
August 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Most people are like "Oh, your hair is getting so long and pretty!". But my grandma allways tells me to drop the growing and cut short because I have a dorkface just like her :/

buzzlegum
August 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
People made fun of my curls all the time. :( Well, I mean classmates. I could basically never wear my hair loose because they would just start laughing like crazy and call me a poodle. Ok, it had frizz, so what? -.- That was before I was in my mid-teens, because then half of my hair basically just fell out. But prior to that, I had a huuuge voluminous mane that apparently was a good reason to make me a laughing stock. They also asked me questions like 'do you ever brush your hair?' I mean WTF? and yes, back then I actually brushed my hair and only later switched to a comb, but it's not like I would've been able to brush all my curls away completely. At some point, I cut my hair to shoulder length because it was very damaged, and it then looked almost straight, and just wore it loose.They still gave me dirty looks but I didn't care. When my hair got longer and curlier, I couldn't give a damn. They shut up sooner or later while I was moving on with my life.

Oh, and I remember how my BFF at the time convinced me I should grow my hair long. She had very long hair herself and I just had random bowl cuts, but I didn't exactly care about the way I looked. Then, when my hair was already past my shoulders or so, she told me 'you would look so nice with short hair'. I was like: WHAT?

At a recent family dinner, people talked about how I should cut my hair. Grandmother said 'When I was young, my hair was never longer than shoulder length'. How is that an argument? And according to her, I looked the cutest when my hair was very very short. -.- The only person who defended me was my Godmother but she basically said 'she's young, it's ok to like long hair when you're young'. Only when I'm young?

Meh.

yvsa
August 27th, 2010, 02:22 AM
My hair has never been longer than shoulder length. But that was 20 years ago. In the past 20 years I've tried several times to grow it out. Without success. Mostly because of patience issues:p but also al lot of negative comments made me feel down. Those comments came from family. But this time I will not discuss my hair with those people.( I made the mistake of even sometimes ask their opinion even though I knew they prefer very short hair) If I want to talk about hair I will come here.:D And when people do make a rude hair comment I know what to answer, I saw this at this site: I'm not here to decorate your world:lala:.

Tiina
August 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I've been told that my (virgin) hair is the colour of a dry, old potato. I've also been told that it is plain, dead gray. The truth lays in the middle. :p

Dreams_in_Pink
August 27th, 2010, 03:26 AM
The only "rude" one was back in primary school when a girl i hated so much called me "broom haired". Thank god that was the only one :)

leslissocool
August 27th, 2010, 03:50 AM
when i was 12 my great cousin (she was about 28) told me i could make oil with my hair, and my stupid italian family made fun of me for it... gave me all this strong damaging shampoo's and didn't allowed me to put conditioner on it... on top of that, they cut my hair from middle back length to my ears!!! EARS!!! they even have the hairdresser tell me my super round face looked better with short above chin cut (which is SOOOO not true, makes my face look like a balloon, i need long super layered hair, thin from my cheek to my shoulder for slimming effect which i found out through research and my BFF who is a hairstylist)!!!

they gave me a complex, a HUGE fear of scissors! i'd rather cut my own hair with my kitchen scissors and make it look blah than go to a salon because of it.... i actually got good to the point where i do most of my friend's hair now... but i still resent them for tricking me!

Actually i just got complimented from like 3 people in one day about my hair... no one believes how damaged it actually is so that's a small victory every time when i hear how amazing people tell me it looks... i go for a lot of layers and use colored extentions (like pink and purple) so it's slowly going back to health...no one tells me it looks bad so far, i have curly hair and i do straighten it too

leslissocool
August 27th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Well, since the threatening to cut my hair comments are more stalkery and annoying than rude (to me, anyways), I'll have to say everyone in my boyfriend's family, who seems to think it's both hilarious and original to ask me about the logistics of having long hair in the bathroom.

... yes, it's sooooooooo difficult to move it over one shoulder, right? And it's so amazing that one would consider this - my mother in law actually tells anyone who mentions my hair that 'she actually pulls it over her shoulder if she has to use the bathroom.' (Really, again, common sense. Why would that even be worth mentioning, especially to someone you don't know??)

OMG this is the best hair story EVER!!! i don't know how i would react if someone had asked me that question!!! :confused: it is so random!

Jezerellica
August 27th, 2010, 04:18 AM
OMG this is the best hair story EVER!!! i don't know how i would react if someone had asked me that question!!! :confused: it is so random!

This kind of comment(bathroom related) sounds like a simple, "I am going to put you in your place" type of comment. Jealousy, or something like this is usually at the root. I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this. I do as well. That is why I recognize it. :( One has said, "I hate when people are pretentious(not that anyone is, it is just what they sense with insecurity) so I can't resist making comments like this". It is icky and sad. Meanwhile, you are not alone!! :confused: I do not understand this type of thinking.

I love my long hair and don't care what anyone thinks of it. :D

RachelRain
August 27th, 2010, 05:41 AM
This kind of comment(bathroom related) sounds like a simple, "I am going to put you in your place" type of comment. Jealousy, or something like this is usually at the root. I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this. I do as well. That is why I recognize it. :( One has said, "I hate when people are pretentious(not that anyone is, it is just what they sense with insecurity) so I can't resist making comments like this". It is icky and sad. Meanwhile, you are not alone!! :confused: I do not understand this type of thinking.

I love my long hair and don't care what anyone thinks of it. :D

His mother loves my hair, actually. She's always telling me when I cut it she wants me to give it to her so she can make a wig, because her hair hasn't moved past her shoulders in decades. It seems like she's trying to brag about it, but... THAT is not how one brags about it, it's personal and really quite disturbing. I actually asked her the last time she mentioned it why she hasn't mentioned my gynecological health as well, since she seems so determined to tell everyone my personal business. I think she realized with that comment that she needed to tone it down some. It probably is some measure of jealousy, but I guarantee she's not trying to put me in my place. She'd just call me a fat cow if she was trying to do that :) Which wouldn't bother me, cuz I do that myself.

That said... I'm sorry you have to deal with it a lot. it's really quite frustrating, especially as I know the majority of his family can't stand me and I've been trying to be super nice to his mom lately. I've never gotten it from strangers though, which is good - I know what I'm like and I'd totally make a scene and embarrass the hell out of someone I didn't know for a stupid comment like that.

Phexlyn
August 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I mostly get the "but it's so thin"-comment, combined with (unwanted) cutting advice or something like "you know, you've had long hair for so many years, why don't you get it cut short?" and "you can't have long hair forever, you know?". :rolleyes:

Siava
August 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I mainly get the "it's getting so long" comments. My long haired inspiration buddy gave me a high five and a "you go girl!" once when I took it down to show her. Oh, and my daughter pets it because it's soft. Hers is longer and curlier than mine, but coarse.

Hmm, the only negative came from my mom (she doesn't bother anymore) because she liked it when it was short. It took her a few years to get over the fact that I'm not going back to that.

I've read a lot on this board about folks getting negative remarks from strangers. I'm hoping to not experience stuff like that, but thanks to this place I've got a ton of comebacks stored in the ol' noggin just in case. ;)

Speck
August 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I always got compliments on my ~tailbone-length hair when I was a child and I am starting to get them now that my hair is at waist length. I did get one mean comment on how my "flat-ironed hair looked SO unnatural" a couple of weeks ago, but that's about it. :shrug:

I used to get a lot of nasty comments from my paternal grandmother, however. She hates my hair for some reason (she may or may not be jealous or she just might think curly hair is superior to straight hair, I don't know) and she would tell me how "flat, stringy, boring, unhealthy, and lifeless" my long, healthy, shiny, thick hair is. :rolleyes: She brainwashed me into thinking my hair was "thin," even though it would probably take all of my family's hair to equate to my ponytail and told me that my hair would never grow back once I cut it because it is so "fine." Ugh. All of those comments really hurt because everyone else seemed to absolutely love my hair. I never saw anything wrong with it and my 12-year-old self just thought that is how my hair was and accepted it. Now I don't live with or see her anymore, so I don't have to put up with that :poop:. I wish I had held onto my childhood self's wisdom, but I'm quite sure my hair is and will be in even better condition when my hair grows back.

I got the "stringy" and "long face" comments from my grandmother too. She never had anything nice to say about my appearance come to think about it. I've had her comments blocked for years...one will come back every now and again. She always preferred my boy cousins over me and she preferred her son over her daughter...oh well ...her loss.

chelssix
August 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I get a lot of compliments, mostly on the color (from a tube) or on the texture (sometimes natural, sometimes braidwaves), and a LOT of unsolicited advice- "You should flatiron it!" That had never occurred to me! I'm a cosmetology student, and the use of a flat iron would never have popped into my own head! *sarcasm*

Ludde
August 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
To my face; almost never. Most often nice comments or polite questions.

On internet; sometimes.

LindsayNichole
August 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Only from my mom. And it makes me feel better to see others who would keep theirs short due to the negative comments and pressure...it's not just me. No more of that for me, though!