PDA

View Full Version : Nape hairs pulling in updos

misstwist
August 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
It has come to my attention that my napeline has some patches that are an inch or so below the rest of my nape.

This doesn't seem to make any difference to braids or ordinary buns or leaving my hair down.

However, when I pin curl or roll my hair or use any type of structured hairdo that starts with a ponytail pulled inside out, those hairs are pulled and it hurts like the dickens. I can usually manage to adjust things so those hairs aren't constantly being pulled, but turning my head will pull on them again.

This is interfering with my ability to do my favorite hairdos, making it an increasingly big deal.

I've thought about having the area shaved or waxed to shape a napeline I want, but then I would have to have somebody continue to shave or wax it and I'm concerned it would look untidy when I wear my hair up. I'm also not wildly excited about a recurring grooming charge. I like that my long hair is cheap.

I've also thought about trimming those areas to just a couple inches long and shaping small nape curls. Again, though, I'm concerned about that looking untidy with anything other than a casual hairdo. I certainly don't want to have to be pinning up and spraying up errant hairs when I want a sleek do, which is most of the time.

I suppose this wouldn't be such a problem if I had a regular relationship with a salon, but I don't. I'm thinking the waxing should be on the order of a waxing charge for eyebrows.

So, anybody here wax your nape? How well does it work for you? How often do you have to have it done? What does it cost?

Any ideas on what electrolysis would cost? How long would it take to get the results I want? Does it really work well?

I'd like to get some input here before picking up the phone and making some calls.

Soraine
August 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
You might just want to try pulling out those nape hairs from the pony tail and pin them up instead, even if they can go into the ponytail holder. It will be more convenient because you can always readjust those in the pins without having to redo your whole updo.

Hope that helps!

Soraine
August 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
And ops, i just saw that you'll rather not pin them up, but i think is much easier and ouch free than waxing... you just need to give them time to grow longer probably.

misstwist
August 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
And ops, i just saw that you'll rather not pin them up, but i think is much easier and ouch free than waxing... you just need to give them time to grow longer probably.

These particular nape hairs are are less than one inch shorter than the bulk of my hemline, which is just longer than bsl. That they are too short is certainly not the problem. :p

Thanks for your input!

Gypsy
August 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I have that same dilemma which is bonkers because my hairline is already super deep- for the most part it ends at the base of my neck, approximately a smidge past the shoulders and there are a couple of spots that extend beyond that.

Way back in the 90's (when it was actually in style), I shaved that nape area up to the bottom of the skull and that certainly solved the problem of those hairs getting yanked excessively trying to get them neatly into ponytails, buns, what have you, and back then, it looked pretty "hype" and "fly" (to use some 90's terms, lol!) and very Salt-n-Pepa, ha ha!:cool:

But when I decided to let it grow back because I was tired of having to break out the clippers every other week, the grow out was hideous. The stupid short hairs would stick out under the rest of my hair and was impossible to tame and control. I'll never do that one again. Even if Salt-n-Pep come back on the music scene.;)

Now-a-days when I put my hair up and I want a cleaner look with no stray hairs, I know that there is no way those certain spot are going to conform into the style unless I use gel or mousse or spritz some hair spray on my hand and smooth those hairs into the rest of the hair. Pins don't work that well for me because the hairline is so low on my neck that the pins literally jab my spine in the spot where the neck curves.:mad:

lapushka
August 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Irritating nape hairs versus stubble at your nape? I don't know... I'd take the nape hairs any time.

Gumball
August 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Irritating nape hairs versus stubble at your nape? I don't know... I'd take the nape hairs any time.

Ah this. That's why I stopped trimming them. It was getting as tedious as shaving, but much more awkward to do! *contorts around*

Whenever something's pulled, I always chocked it up to needing more practice on how to manage the style so the hairs didn't pull, just like the pulling that happens with any other hairstyle. If it all out was a pain and couldn't be helped, then it's time to plan alternatives.

When it comes to the inside-out ponytail (I'm imagining it's what the Topsy Tail does) do you really loosen up the ponytail, then tighten it once the flip is done? That way everything kind of adjusts on its own? If the ponytail is close to the scalp to begin with there can definitely be torquing and pulling. In addition, since you're talking about structured hairstyles, too, what about pin placement? That takes finagling, too, if pulling happens.