PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut, that is the question... (Self-trimming wavy/curly hair).

helwa
August 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I haven't gotten my hair cut or trimmed at all since june -08. Almost 2 years and 3 months now...

Now that I've decided to really put some time and effort into growing my hair long, I'm thinking about trimming it a little to get a fresh start. I'm scared of losing too much length though, I have wavy/curly hair and when it becomes too short in it's natural state I get completely addicted to my flat iron. Which, in the long run, is probably worse than leaving it to grow without trimming(?). I just reached the point where I feel like it's long enough to NOT straighten it. :shrug:

Anyway, I'm considering to make an attempt at self-trimming, or possibly hiring a family member to do it for me. But should i cut it when it's dry or wet? Straight or curly? What's the best way to trim hair that is wavy bordering to curly and curls up differently from day to day?

Heidi_234
August 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I trim my own hair, and do it usually every two months. I gained quite a lot of length despite the trimmings, so it works for me. I trim my hair dry and brushed out. If I'm looking to eliminate split ends I use the twisting technique (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146) first and then carry on for the hemline trim.

For evening out the hemline I use Feye's self trimming technique (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). You can do it yourself, or have somebody to help you. If you're afraid to trim, you can practice the movements without holding scissors until you're feeling confident. Trust me, it's really easy to do. I usually trim 0.5"-1", depends on how my ends feel. You are in total control when it comes to how much you trim, so no risk in losing too much in a trim. :)

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
If you are determined to trim, trim it dry and WURLY!

Nordlys
August 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I trim my hair dry and brushed out.
That is exactly what I do too. You have a better control of your length that way since curly hair looks way longer wet than dry.

For evening out the hemline I use Feye's self trimming technique (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). You can do it yourself, or have somebody to help you. If you're afraid to trim, you can practice the movements without holding scissors until you're feeling confident. Trust me, it's really easy to do.
I totally agree. It is easy and I use also the same technique in order to clip my hair. I actually did it yesterday and took about 2" damaged ends away...

helwa
August 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Alright, dry and wurly it is! I will try to trim very very little at first and see how it turns out. Wish me luck! Thanks for the advice. :flower:

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Good luck *nervous*

Peter
August 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I would go ahead with it. I have wavy hair and trim it right before washing (i.e. when it's dry).

leslissocool
August 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
i use the pony tail haircut... i straightened my hair before i do it. go to http://elementalbynature.wordpress.com/2008/10/20/ponytail-haircut-a-how-to/ for more info.... i use another hairband that i slide to the desired length... seriosuly i have cut 4 inches off and people didn't even noticed i cut, they just said it looked nice.... this is a good cut that gives you long layer (if you put it really high up) and when your hair curls, it curls more even and eliminates the triangle face.... just make sure you measure you cut far enough from the headband closest to your head...

*Aoife*
August 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I've only cut my hair once myself but I fingercombed the knots out, combed out the waves and brushed it straight but poofy. I used Feye's Self Trim and cut .25" off.
And the awesome thing about whurly hair is that even if you cut it badly, it doesn't show! :D

helwa
August 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I did the twisting thing and cut off at least most of the split ends, it really made a huge difference! Moving on to the critical part now...:pray:

christine1989
August 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Fist of all congratulations on going so long without a cut! :) I too have very wavy hair so trimming is difficult. The good thing about curly and wavy hair is that if you make an uneven cut it is far less noticable so don't stress too much or cut too much trying to straighten it out. To get a good (but minimal) trim it works well to put hair in a low pony, slide the elastic to the bottom then just snip the very tip of of your pony tail. This will get the tips of the longest hairs and works well for cutting dry hair (I definalty don't reccomend doing it while wet-been there, done that, big disaster).

SpinDance
August 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I don't have curls (jealous!), just long loose uneven waves, but I've been using the self-trim method with great success. I was quite nervous at first, so I just trimmed the very longest hairs by 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I am getting thicker hemline and fewer splits, plus I get to control my hemline shaping. If you stick with tiny trims to start, and give yourself time between, I'm sure you'll work out just what you like/don't like, without loosing lots of length.

helwa
August 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Finished! It think I lost just about an inch but it turned out quite nice... and probably as even as possible considering that I still have lots of layers in my hair (the midsection in the back is a lot shorter than the rest, for example). I managed to even everything out a little and it feels good to have at least most of the split ends gone! I think I will keep trimming it like this on a regular basis, at least until my hair is even and my ends are back in shape. Great to have a fresh start! :sun:

Thanks again everyone!

Arianwen
August 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Photo please?

helwa
August 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I will try to take one and post it when I get home from my vacation! Although it's somehow embarrassing to post a picture of my worn out, uneven and relatively short hair on a forum full of long, beautiful, healthy manes. Mine is still very much a work in progress! :lol: