PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else take vitamins?

JeanyBeany
August 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm curious, because I take vitamins for hair growth.

A co-worker of mine has long beautiful hair and I asked her if she did anything special to it. She told me she takes vitamins. She told me the names of a few of them and after I got off work I immediately started looking up on the internet. (After I searched for the vitamins, my research for healthier hair has NOT stopped. I'm going on about three months now.)

Currently I take:

Biotin - 5mg - One a day
Folic Acid - 400 mcg - One a day
Omega-3 Fish Oil - 1000 mg - One a day
Vitamin C - 500 mg - One a day
Vitamin E - 400 IU - One a day
Calcium + Vitamin D - Calcium(1000mg) Vitamin D(400IU) - One a day
Green Tea Extract - 315 mg - One a day
Hair, Skin, and Nails Formula(GNC) - One a day (This has 3000 mcg of Biotin in it)

There has been a major improvement on my hair, skin, and nails. The hair on my legs has started to grow back FASTER which bothers me. I used to be able to skip out on shaving, now I have to shave atleast every two days. I am able to grow my nails out without them breaking easily. My complexion has over-all been acne free, which my mum is very happy about.

I was just wondering if anyone else has taken vitamins as a part of their routine.
There is a difference in the quality of my hair, it's gotten somewhat thicker.

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yay! Its good that your hair is responding well to your vitamins. I too take biotin, folic acid and an omega 3, 6 and 9 suppliment with something called borage oil (whatever the heck that is). They really do work well and quicken hair growth significantly. You should see even better results as you continue to take them- most people say that vitamin's full results take up to 6 months to show up.

Hotrox
August 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Hello and welcome to LHC

It was my research into vitamins for hair that bought me to this lovely community too

I take:

GNC Skin hair and nails supplement, which has 400mcg of biotin
3000mg MSM
1g Vit C

I also try to make sure I get some protein with all my meals and drink lots of water

Have done all this for about 3 months now and am seeing good results in my hair growth and nail strength :D

renarok
August 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I take a multi vitamin, Nioxin hair vitamin, and an EFA combo from trader joes.

Works great for me.

JeanyBeany
August 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
My workplace is primarily carbs. (I work at a pizza place)

But I'm always finding protein to eat, and I have upped my intake of water and cut out sodas completely.
I also splurged one paycheck and got a bunch of Teavana Teas.

:)

I can't wait to see even better results with my hair. I'm planning on stopping chemical hair dyes, I'm going with Henna instead.

HuggyBear
August 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM
My hair has been growing extremely well since starting my vitamin regime. I take the following every day:

*Whole Food Organic multivitamin (New Chapter Organics Every Woman's One Daily)
*MSM powder (2000 mg) mixed with orange juice for Vitamin C boost
*Vitamin D (5000 IU)

JeanyBeany
August 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm going to have to add MSM to my list of vitamins. Hahaha

leslissocool
August 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
i take liquid vitamins... they take less time to be absorbed! i started when i was pregnant, i had bald spots and my doc told me to go for the liquid ones... i take b complex, d complex (liquid) and then i take bioting 5mg, and one a day multi vitamins :)

little_cherry
August 26th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Nope...no need to take vitamins when my diet is balanced.

hmmm
August 26th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I took a B complex pill for a while... because I was testing a theory that Vitamin B1 made mosquitoes less likely to bite you.

It didn't work. I'm only taking cod liver oil now.

jeanniet
August 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm taking biotin and MSM for my hair experimentally, but that's it. I also take calcium because osteoporosis runs in my family, and vitamin D because I don't absorb it well and am deficient if I don't take extra. I'm not a fan of taking unnecessary vitamins and think it's much better to tweak the diet whenever possible, as taking supplements just isn't the same. I haven't taken multivitamins for years and think those are a total waste of money unless your diet is absolutely horrendous.

If anyone is interested, a program such as Fitday (www.fitday.com) allows you to track your food intake and will break down the nutrients for you. Try it for a few weeks and you might be surprised to find that your diet is actually pretty adequate and you can make improvements with only a few changes.

heynormy
August 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I used to take Biotin, however I broke out badly! Now I just eat healthier! :)

dropinthebucket
August 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
If you search "vitamins" you'll find several great threads here, at least three with detailed vitamin routines LHCers have posted. I looked through all of them when I first started here, and I can definitely say, that the vitamins and supplements have made all the difference in the world. I'm taking vitamins not just for hair growth, but for general health - one of the things environmentalists have been worried about is the reduction in nutrients in our food, due to the factory farm system. I'm not all that happy pumping money into the pharmaceutical system instead, but I *do* want to be healthy! I guess it's a toss up, trying to eat the best-quality food you can get, and supplementing when/as needed.

The best hair supplements LHCers have noted for measurable, visible increased growth rate are:
biotin
MSM
silica or DE
Hair,Skin, and Nails formulations (like Natrol, and similar)

Happy growing! :)

lifeis2evil
August 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Do multi-vitamins work too? http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4033447&cp=3593185.4005864.2108479 or is it missing something I need

sweetee810
August 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I take Biotin 1000mg once a day, Vitamin C and a multi one. I also cut milk and eggs out of my diet. Since the milk products have been causing me to break out and have a not so happy scalp. I now drink Vanilla Soy milk. Plus lots of water and green veggies.

Crackaleen
August 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I take a multivitamin, 100mg B6, and 1000mcg Biotin. I honestly would prefer not to take vitamins at all, but until I get myself on a more balanced diet, I feel they're necessary.

estherbeth
August 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I take Spring Valley prenatal vitamins twice a day (when I remember the second before bed). I plan to get some biotin when I get to the store again, and I'm keeping an eye out for MSM and food grade DE.

My nails have always grown fast and strong, but since I started the prenatals, my nails have grown faster. My hair went through months of being stalled, and the prenatals jumpstarted growth there, too. I try to drink more water and eat more veggies and protein. I know that caffeine interferes with calcium absorbtion, but I just can't seem to give up my Dr. Pepper! :rolleyes:

Joliebaby
August 30th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Even though I eat pretty healthy (especially ever since I got preggo and now having a kid) and we buy lots of organic food to get more nutritious and chemical free stuff, I still take supplements and I definitely think they make a difference.
I always take at least a multivitamin and omega fatty acids supplement, those are my top two, a hair-skin-nails vit is also good to add. I'm currently taking DE (silica), D-vitamin, ginkgo biloba with C-vitamin and chinese herbs, N-Acetyl cysteine.. umm there must be something else.. some stuff I'm only using until I run out.
I also LOVE my green drink with chlorella, spirulina and wheat grass (mixed with apple juice and aloe vera) and my DD (1 year 9 months) really likes it too.
I'm trying to find her a chewable multi and fatty acid supplement without artificial sweeteners!!!! Dang it pisses me off they put those in kids vitamins!! Why not just put fructose and xylitol (natural sugar from birch tree that protects teeth actually!!)

I try to eat plenty of protein as well. Mostly dairy, eggs, beans, and about once a week we have fish and once a week tofu. I don't think soy is too healthy in large amounts or eaten every day :/

baaaad_kitty
August 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I do! I take a hair skin and nail multi which contains 1000mcg Biotin, 125mg, B1, 2, 3, 6, 12 and other hair related vitamins like copper. And technically, biotin is B8.

I've only been taking the vitamins for maybe 3 weeks and haven't measured in, so I still have to see when I measure.

Arianwen
August 30th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I took a B6/B12/Folic supplement occasionally last winter/early spring, then in late May I switched to prenatal vitamins. I have experienced an insane amount of growth in 16 months, but as I was ignoring my hair totally most of that time I have no idea if the vitamins are the reason for my ludicrous growth.

triumphator!
August 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I took biotin for a while, but it made my face break out in under the skin acne. Like skin colored bumps all over my forehead?

Anyway, now I take an adult gummy vitamin, it's wonderful :)