PDA

View Full Version : Scalp of Death...

Sammybunny711
March 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone! Long time no read for all of us, huh? I hope that you all are very well and that you experienced great productivity while LHC was down.

I am having a VERY bad bout of psoriasis, seborrhic dermatitisw whatever it is that I have and I switched to washign my hair every other day which REALLY did not make my scalp happy even after a long time of doing it. SO! I am now back to washing (with shampoo and conditioner) my hair every day which I like better, I must say because it makes my scalp feel a little bit better and it makes my hair look MUCH better than CO.

SO! My question: What are some ways to make my scalp feel better that don't cost a poor college kid much money?

LindsayNichole
March 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have a lot of skin problems too, and find that a rinse with apple cider vinegar (about one part acv to three parts water) can work wonders for the itchiness!

happylynngilmer
March 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I heard so many good things about ACV, that I figure it's worth a shot to try because it's dirt cheap! So I keep rec'mding it even though it didn't work for me. I tried it a *long* while-2 bottles worth. I'm in the minority though. As it turns out, my scalp really likes SLS and needs it to function.

Sammybunny711
March 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not that hip with the LHC lingo, what does SLS mean?

Katze
March 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
SLS is sodium lauryl sulfate, a "harsh" detergent that many people try to avoid.

I've also got SD, and it's acting up right now. Here is what helps (doesn't fix it):

1) don't touch scalp
2) don't touch scalp ;)
3) vinegar rinses - i do these like I do a WO wash, rinsing over and over with the vinegar mix (DILUTED), letting it sit on the scalp and massaging it around, alternating with water rinses as I feel like it, and basically getting my scalp good and saturated. Usually, I do a final rinse with water.
4) honey. SMTs are good but I also sometimes just wash my scalp with crystallized honey. We don't have brown sugar here, so I can use the honey crystals to sort of scrub my head, if that makes sense.
5) more frequent - but not TOO frequent - washings. I'm a finehair, so I need to wash more often, but more than every 3 days is too much, especially if I use SLS or SAS (another sulfate) shampoos. Also, 'cones seem to be making my scalp worse, though my hair likes them.

What else helps are taking essential fatty acids (I like salmon oil and get the best results from it), drinking more water, avoiding coffee, alcohol, and sugar.

hth!

Katze

Caldonia Sun
March 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I've been dealing with this problem for several years, now. The only shampoo that doesn't cause too many problems for me has been Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. And even that has to be very diluted.

Vinegar made things worse for me, as did every shampoo, baking soda, conditioner, shampoo bar, etc. that I tried. I'm just hoping this one will work for a long time. The medicated shampoos were like pouring gasoline on my scalp.

The other thing that seemed to help was going a little shorter with my hair. A woman who makes soap told me that she had to keep her son's hair very short in order to control his eczema. She said it had to do with getting air to the scalp and suggested I try that, as nothing else was working for me. I went from APL to above the shoulders and there has been a noticeable improvement. Go figure ...

MarPreciosa
January 27th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone! Long time no read for all of us, huh? I hope that you all are very well and that you experienced great productivity while LHC was down.

I am having a VERY bad bout of psoriasis, seborrhic dermatitisw whatever it is that I have and I switched to washign my hair every other day which REALLY did not make my scalp happy even after a long time of doing it. SO! I am now back to washing (with shampoo and conditioner) my hair every day which I like better, I must say because it makes my scalp feel a little bit better and it makes my hair look MUCH better than CO.

SO! My question: What are some ways to make my scalp feel better that don't cost a poor college kid much money?

Castor oil (pharmacy brand works fine and is cheap - just check for purity), diluted ACV, lukewarm water, tea tree oil, lavendar oil, rosemary oil, olive oil, honey, natural and mild shampoos. Stay away from chemicals and perfumes.

These are the things that worked for me and are not super $$$. Trader Joe's argan oil is also great if you can afford it.

Oh - and do not over or under wash.

Take a look at your diet and stress levels too. Eating clean with more fish (even canned tuna) is helpful. I also recommend less coffee (or none) and minimizing alcohol intake. It's not a quick fix, but I've found that if my digestive system is happy I barely get symptoms and those I do have can be controlled by the ingredients listed above.

No conditioner on scalp is big for me too.

These combined have cleared 99% of my symptoms.

MarPreciosa
January 27th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I've been dealing with this problem for several years, now. The only shampoo that doesn't cause too many problems for me has been Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. And even that has to be very diluted.

Vinegar made things worse for me, as did every shampoo, baking soda, conditioner, shampoo bar, etc. that I tried. I'm just hoping this one will work for a long time. The medicated shampoos were like pouring gasoline on my scalp.

The other thing that seemed to help was going a little shorter with my hair. A woman who makes soap told me that she had to keep her son's hair very short in order to control his eczema. She said it had to do with getting air to the scalp and suggested I try that, as nothing else was working for me. I went from APL to above the shoulders and there has been a noticeable improvement. Go figure ...

Medicated shampoos were a disaster for me too! They help at first and then give me a massive flareup. Haven't touched them in years and am better for it.