PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye regrets...

~M Rose
August 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
So I'm kind of a lurker here for a while and am hoping someone will have some advice for me since you always seem to be the ones to know what to do.
I have been very interested in changing my hair color from my natural medium blonde to red for some time, but always to chicken to try henna... So today I took the plunge and had my hair professionally colored to the shade of red I thought I had always desired...
I really love the color of red that it is, just not so much on me. To add to it, my parents hate it and my husband strongly dislikes it. So I guess where I'm at is how to get it to fade out quickly, or quicker than it normally would and preferably with no chemicals/damage to my hair. It is only a semi-permanent color made to fade out.

Anyone have any tips for me please feel free to pass on!http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac303/mbakerlmt/SDC11037.jpgBefore
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac303/mbakerlmt/SDC10013.jpgAfter

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Stores like target, walmart and beauty supply stores all carry products that will facilitate fading hair dye. I also hear that honey and lemon will lighten hair and help lift hair dye.

twilight_faerie
August 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Wow, I think that red is really pretty.

Have you tried using Colorfix?

Arianwen
August 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I wanted to say your hair is pretty and I like that shade in it.

~M Rose
August 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I just had it done this AM. So I haven't tried anything yet... Just thought I would come here for advice and to see what options are out there... Didn't think I would get the reactions that I am getting about the color.. even from myself. I had myself pretty convinced that I would love it no matter what, maybe I will just need some time to adjust.

Luckysock
August 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
in addition to the above, lots of time in the sun, if you can get it :)

kitten1986
August 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Ooh I LOVE it it looks just like Jessica out of True Blood (If you are a fan) I have been coveting her hair since I started the show hahaha

file:///Users/clare/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///Users/clare/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-3.pnghttp://www.hbo.com/true-blood/cast-and-crew/jessica-hamby/index.html

But I am sorry that its not for you... But it sounds as though you had been wanting to try it for ages, so now you have tried it and you know its not "you", but at least you gave it a go :)

I haven't been around here for long, but maybe a honey treatment might lighten it out a little bit.

Chiara
August 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Actually, I think it looks really pretty too :)

Well at least now you have actually tried it, and you know the result. You won't have any 'what ifs?' about going red! And just imagine if you'd used henna and not liked it...

teela1978
August 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
The red colors tend to fade out pretty quick. I'd give it a couple of weeks of regular washing with 'real' shampoo (sls, als based detergents). Soon it won't be nearly as vibrant as it is now, without doing anything :)

twilight_faerie
August 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Ooh I LOVE it it looks just like Jessica out of True Blood (If you are a fan) I have been coveting her hair since I started the show hahaha

Yes! This is the first thing that came to my mind too. I'd love to be able to get that color without bleaching the life out of my hair.

kwaniesiam
August 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Red fades very quickly, if it is a semi-permanent I'd suggest just being patient and washing more frequently. It'll fade in time, and fwiw I think it's very pretty and am aiming for that exact shade myself.

~M Rose
August 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for the very helpful advice and for the small ego boosters that you guys like the color. I was really loving the color for the most part and could care less that its draining on my color(had been wanting to do this since before my wedding last year), but my husbands reaction kind of sealed the deal on not keeping it for longer than it will last. As Chiara said, thank goodness I hadn't just went with the henna and not liked it!

UltraBella
August 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I think it's lovely !
Being just a semi-color, it is going to fade quickly. I would just wash it with an SLS shampoo daily for one week before you do anything else. You may be surprised how much it lightens.

Yozhik
August 26th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Your hair is so pretty, both your natural shade and the red :)
Since it's semi-permanent, at least you can experience the "greener pasture" (or what you thought it was) for a bit before going back to your natural color.

Yozhik
August 26th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry, double post!

Phexlyn
August 26th, 2010, 03:16 AM
The red colors tend to fade out pretty quick. I'd give it a couple of weeks of regular washing with 'real' shampoo (sls, als based detergents). Soon it won't be nearly as vibrant as it is now, without doing anything :)
This :) Unless your hair is like mine, then it will cling to the red like mad... I don't want to scare you here, but if it doesn't wash out enough after some time (speaking several weeks) have a look at deep treatments designed for blonde hair, the ones that are meant to tone down brassiness. The effects don't last too long from my experience, but it helps to keep the colour really blonde and not reddish.

Concerning your family, maybe the red came as a bit of a shock to them (especially if you've been natural for a very long time) and that's what caused such a strong reaction. My mum doesn't like red hair on me either but I can get away with a reddish tint that I intend to deepen over time without her complaining :D
If they just hate red in general, there's not much you can do about it, though :o

And don't forget: you have very pretty hair, blonde and red alike :flower:

naereid
August 26th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Judging by the harsh reactions, before seeing the picture I thought it was like Bozo the Clown red... :undecided

What faded my red was overnight coconut oilings, though it's not a rule.

Toadstool
August 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Head and Shoulders shampoo will speed up the washout process.
I think it looks GORGEOUS!

Marjolein
August 26th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I think it's a gorgeous color! Would love that for myself, but if you aren't happy with it, let's start thinking about how to remove it ;).

I second Toadstool's suggestion. Head and Shoulders is the way to go if you want to remove hair dye fast. You could also do some overnight oil soaks (like coconut oil). That's been known to get dye out of hair as well.

CrisDee
August 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM
...Concerning your family, maybe the red came as a bit of a shock to them (especially if you've been natural for a very long time) and that's what caused such a strong reaction...

That was my thought as well, because the color in the photo, particularly with your skin tone (at least the skin on your arms :D) and that shirt is absolutely perfect!

Ditto the coconut oil and Head & Shoulders. Chemical reds fade notoriously quickly, you should have your natural color back in a couple weeks :)

ghost
August 26th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Thirding the Jessica from True Blood comments :) I like the color, but your natural color is really pretty, too.

Reds usually fade fast...washing every day or every other day in warm/hot water should help fade it, especially if you use something like Head and Shoulders.
You may have to color your hair again to get it back to or close to your natural color. If your stylist used any bleach or color developer on your hair before dyeing it, it will have lifted some of your natural color.

EtherealOde
August 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Sorry to hear your hubby hates it, the color is lovely. Because it isn't henna the red will fade rather quickly, so in a month it should be back to normal. Condition your hair a lot when you shampoo, the more often you wash your hair the faster the color will lift.

dropinthebucket
August 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Someone may have already suggested it, but you might also try a bit of mayonnaise, and amla with that (Indian gooseberry) if you can get it, if not, just the mayonnaise, left on for at least a couple of hours, and maybe two or three applications. It lifted quite a bit of my henna once, so I figure, if it can do that, who knows? it may take your semi- out pretty well, too. Worth a try, anyway - let us know how it turns out! :)

cindy58
August 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I think you should let it fade naturally as others have advised and not risk any rough stuff with your pretty hair. Many people struggle to keep the red IN their hair!

Too bad the family and hubby couldn't be a little bit more diplomatic with their comments. I bet as you are out and about you will receive compliments from others.

rebchandler
August 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Just repeating what's already been said...but I think it's fabulous! And, yes, very Jessica from True Blood like. Anyway, I have used Color Oops on several occasions to reverse bad dye jobs. It stinks and you have to rinse it for a lloooonnngggg time...but it works pretty well for me.

~M Rose
August 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I've decided to see how it fades out on its own for a bit before trying anything to majorly lift the color... Even from yesterday to today it has toned down quiet a bit with washing it again.
And as someone posted, yes, being out and about I have gotten quiet a few compliments on it! :)

kwaniesiam
August 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Just a note of warning, color removers like Color Oops, Colorfix, and Colorzap don't work on semi-permanent color very well. They're designed to lift permanent color.

I'm glad you're getting compliments now, it looks very natural on you.