PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else growing out a pixie?

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Ok so we've all been here. You cut your hair, and now you are sorry. Or maybe, like me, there was a method to the madness (in my case, I was sick of dying and wanted to grow long, virgin hair).

I feel like the only short haired person here. There has to be someone else?

Eireann
May 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm not short-haired anymore, but I have been. I promise you, it does grow!! I think my last pixie cut was in 2001. I grew it out past my shoulders, then cut it again to just above the shoulders in Dec. '06. I've been growing it more or less since then, with trims every few months. My last trim was in March '08, and this time I'm going to try to go trim-less for at least 6 months. It's a real test of will. I've always given into the hair cut impulses. I'm trying feed the impulse with new hair toys.

Anyway, it didnt' really answer your question as to whether there are other short-hairs around, but I just wanted to give a shout out as a former pixie. And, by the way, your hair looks adorable short, and will no doubt continue to look cute at all the stages along the way! Enjoy the journey!

chrissy-b
May 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I think there are a few others that are still there, and plenty who've started there with excellent info on helping the process along with minimal stress. I'm not pixie anymore, but I was for about 10 years. I've been growing it out and I'm still just above shoulder length.

Also, I'm part of the "shorties" social group. You can find others there too.

naomimcc
May 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
If you call 10 years later 'still growing out my pixie'. LOL. But yes...been there...done that. It's quite the trip! My advice is to have fun with it since it's a new length every couple of weeks. :D

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
That's true it is kinda fun having a different length every few weeks! I definitely am going to have to work to keep it from being A Mullet Of Doom, though. HA!

Fluke
May 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Me, me, me!!
I aso cut my hair to grow all virgin, I'd already been growing it from another pixie for a year or so , but I'd also been coloring it.
So, in March last year I cut it really short again, to get rid of the colored bits and to enjoy a good short cut once more before giving it up, I'd had short-short hair for the last 8 years or so and really enjoyed it, but long hair had started to "grow on me", heheh. Shooting for classic now, but it's only nearing shoulders so far. Link to my pics in my siggie :)

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Can I just say that your pixie was REALLY cute? Makes me want to bust out my hair wax.

Fluke
May 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Oh, I really loved that cut, I really did... It's sometimes hard to keep my resolve to grow long when I think about how much I loved that cut... is that maybe a blasphemic thing to say on this site?? Heheh..

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I am growing out a pixie. If that's what you call it. It was about 2" long all over.

Eireann
May 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oh, I really loved that cut, I really did... It's sometimes hard to keep my resolve to grow long when I think about how much I loved that cut... is that maybe a blasphemic thing to say on this site?? Heheh..

I can totally relate! Whenever I see someone with a super cute pixie cut (like you and Talula) I get the urge to snip. I resist because (a) my DH would probably divorce me and (b) it takes soooooo long to grow back out.

I loved having super long hair, too, and I'm looking forward to it, but the in-between is the killer! I guess I just like outside-the-norm hair. :cheese:

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I think that was one of the things I didn't take into account when I cut it all off -that I would be short haired for a year *at least* and even then, it would only be shoulder length. Also I didn't quite realize just how long it was going to be until I had cut off all the dyed stuff. I mean, I started this in November, just after thanksgiving! And it's finally to the point where I've cut off the dyed stuff and is growing in nicely.

I think my husband cried a little when I cut my hair. It was almost BSL before. Probably about 20"

ETA: Also, for the first oh....four months or so? I would look at myself in the mirror or photos and be like, "That's not me!"

lady G
May 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I grew mine a few years back from pixie to almost armpit lenght in 18 months i had no trims in that time and my hair was fine when i finally went for a trim the hairdresser was suprised i had not had a trim in all that time and said really i just needed the ends tidied up as it was pretty good condition, it was a pain to grow at vertain stages but once it gets past your ears then its a lot easier :)

suicides_eve
May 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
yep i am 8 months in growing mine out i am now past shoulder length

DecafJane
May 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I am also growing out from an ultra-short pixie (as of October last year) - you can see the updates in my album linked in my signature. It really helps to find pictures of those who have been where you are. :)

I am currently lost in the depths of mullet-land, but I keep it up all of the time anyway, so it doesn't bother me and nobody has to know - those long layers at the bottom are actually great because they fit really well into any updos that I do.

If you avoid the hairdresser completely and start pulling it up as soon as possible, it will be less painful than it otherwise could be. :)

The exciting part is when your hair starts to overtake the length of those around you, who are maintaining at chin/shoulder length. In the next year I will overtake most of the people I know. :D

Medvssa
May 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, I trimmed all of my hair a few years ago, 2mm long or thereabouts. There isn't much photographic evidence. I can tell you it is worse for curlies, though.

CurlyNinja
May 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I cut a pixie a bit over four years ago now and grew it out--definitely been there, my friend! The worst part for me was the mullet I got for a while as it grew, but I managed to hide that pretty well by clipping the front back.

DecafJane
May 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
. I can tell you it is worse for curlies, though.
I have a theory that curlies look best with either VERY short or very long hair. No prizes for guessing which I prefer. ;)

Medvssa
May 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I have a theory that curlies look best with either VERY short or very long hair. No prizes for guessing which I prefer. ;)
That is not a theory, that is a natural law :D

DecafJane
May 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That is not a theory, that is a natural law :D

Hahaha! So true! I can't wait until my hair gets long enough to let my curlies shine. I missed them so much. They are breaking out of my fringe now, and I love them :)

diamondprincess
May 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I am growing out from pixie as well. Now about an inch above shoulder and very impatient!!!!!! I know patience is a virtue, just not one of mine! lol
I think the process to shoulder is so tough, it requires real perseverance to get there. I just take it one day at a time. It may sound weird, but each morning when I wake up, I think, hey my hair is one day closer to long!!!

kwaniesiam
May 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, not quite a pixie but does the shortest my hair has ever been count?

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well, not quite a pixie but does the shortest my hair has ever been count?

Sure why not!

Garnet66
May 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM
I'm growing out a pixie as well. I've been trying to grow it for three years but never make it past 16". Right now my hair is about 2 1/2 inches. I can't wait for it to get longer.

julya
May 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm growing out a pixie, but it's been about five years now. I'm at just about classic now. It does grow, but it takes a long time! You'll make it.

Liv
May 23rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure if my haircut can be called a pixie, but it's not far from it. I too cut my hair to get rid of coloured hair, but I let my hair grow about 8 months (or so) before I cut it. So I guess it's more of a short hair cut, then a pixie.

I'm in that stage where you will be an a few months; ignoring-the-mullet-land.:-)

Mitzy
May 23rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Me, too. I am 2 & 1/2 years out from a pixie and about to BSL now. There are pictures around somewhere of my last short cut.
I still have layers and fringe, but I like it that way.

AutumnLeaves
May 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I also shaved my head to grow out virgin color.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/P3070218.jpg

Unfortunately six months into growing out, I succumbed to outside pressure (my mom, my sister, my sister-in-law) to dye it. In September 2007, I had already made up my mind that I was going to go au naturale...again. I got to this length:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0414.jpg

Then I cut down to the new growth line and got to this point:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0432.jpghttp://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0433.jpg

I think this is one of my most recent pics (March 29, 2008):

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0290.jpg

I am just in a hurry up and grow PLEASE mode now!

Emme76
May 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
I also grew out from a pixie cut.
Now it is just below my jaw line...so still very short.
I hate this length, very very frustrating...but now I can get in into a small ponytail - and it is a big goal for me :D!!!

So you are not alone....
/emme

Exodus
May 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Me, me, me!!
I aso cut my hair to grow all virgin, I'd already been growing it from another pixie for a year or so , but I'd also been coloring it.
So, in March last year I cut it really short again, to get rid of the colored bits and to enjoy a good short cut once more before giving it up, I'd had short-short hair for the last 8 years or so and really enjoyed it, but long hair had started to "grow on me", heheh. Shooting for classic now, but it's only nearing shoulders so far. Link to my pics in my siggie :)

I looked at your pictures. I think it has grown a lot in a year. Could you tell how much you think your hair grows in a month?

jojo
May 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
yep i am 8 months in growing mine out i am now past shoulder length

Very inspiring, you have grown a lot in 8 months. Well done.

jojo
May 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I also shaved my head to grow out virgin color.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/P3070218.jpg

Unfortunately six months into growing out, I succumbed to outside pressure (my mom, my sister, my sister-in-law) to dye it. In September 2007, I had already made up my mind that I was going to go au naturale...again. I got to this length:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0414.jpg

Then I cut down to the new growth line and got to this point:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0432.jpghttp://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0433.jpg

I think this is one of my most recent pics (March 29, 2008):

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/AutumnLeaves1317/Sherry/DSC_0290.jpg

I am just in a hurry up and grow PLEASE mode now!
What great pictures, keep on growing Sherry your looking good.

Bonny
May 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Joining in late, but yes, me too!

You can see in my sig where I started and where I am now... well, as of last month. In the next few days I should take another picture and update my sig.

I am definitely in mullet-land :wail: and I hope my hair will grow faster in the summer months to get past that stage.

vidgrl007
May 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
i can now put my hair in afrench braid.i was at chin length now its just brushing my shoulders.

Finoriel
May 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
:waving:
Growing out a pixie too :gabigrin: sort of. I´m growing it out continuously since early 2001, so quite some time was passing by since that.
Just wanted to say: Enjoy the journey :cheer: but be aware that it can lead further south than you ever expected :wink:

eenergetic
May 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm growing out a pixie as well. It's a bit of a nightmare. I got to the mullet stage, couldn't stand it, and cut it again. I miss ponytails and braids :( ...

Fluke
May 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Well.. since I never measured regularly I don't know how fast it grows pr. month, but I'll guesstimate it grows somewhere between 0.5-0.75 inch pr. month, or slighty above 1 cm pr. month.
We use the metric system here, and the general idea about growth rate here is 1 cm pr month.
When I compare my growth rate to other people I see regularly it doesn't seem to grow any faster, but looking at my growth year-wise it does seem to grow quite fast. I just don't see it from month to month, heheh..

SchnauzerMom
May 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Pixie queen here! It seems to be my default cut. When I get discouraged or depressed about my hair I cut back to pixie. But I refuse to give up so I keep trying.

DecafJane
May 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm not minding the mullet stage - the long hairs at the bottom make updos easier. Embrace the mullet, people! :D

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
It might sound like heresy, but Talula's pixie looks so good that she should consider keeping it.