PDA

View Full Version : Double buns?

*Aoife*
August 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Is there some sort of knack to doing double buns that I just can't master?
Mine always look lobsided or are at completely different heights. I love the look of them but I'd love some pointers as to how to make them look decent.

And how to people manage to part their hair perfectly at the back? I've always wondered that too.

Thanks in advance :)

lapushka
August 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM
And how to people manage to part their hair perfectly at the back? I've always wondered that too.

Learned this as a child when I used to wear two ponytails all the time. All you need is a rat tail comb (or a nice pointy hair stick) and some patience. :)

little_cherry
August 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I use a comb to part my hair in the middle. When parted, I tie up one side and comb the other side smooth and use my ear as a guide to bun..then I bun the side that was tied up.

tanya222
August 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Is there some sort of knack to doing double buns that I just can't master?
Mine always look lobsided or are at completely different heights. I love the look of them but I'd love some pointers as to how to make them look decent.

Thanks in advance :)

Funny story, I can remember when I was little my mom parting my hair down the centre to do 2 braids a la Laura Ingalls (stop laughing!:p) and nearly every time saying to her, "It's not down the miiiiiiidddle....!", all drawn out like that, cuz of course back in the 80's going to school I wanted that parting to be absolutely perfect..

Nowadays, when I part my hair to do 2 figure 8 buns I intentionally go for the messy up-do look, and don't really care if it's down the middle or not! Sometimes it just looks cuter when it isn't perfect!

:)

constantki
August 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have a problem with making sure that one does not slide down farther than the other one while I'm bunning.

pinkbunny
August 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I always anchor my double buns as ponytails first. That way, I can get them lined up evenly. As for the center part, I use a rat tail comb and part the top first (what I can see while looking in the mirror), then when I get that straight I start with the rat tail at the back of the part and close my eyes and "feel" it going straight down the middle of my head. I have to do it fairly quickly, and then I'll put one side up in the ponytail and hold the other side so I can check with a handheld mirror (my back to the wall mirror). Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries, though...

*Aoife*
August 26th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you very much everyone!

Funny story, I can remember when I was little my mom parting my hair down the centre to do 2 braids a la Laura Ingalls (stop laughing!:p)

I'm not :D That was my standard style until this year :p

Xi
August 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
... part the top first (what I can see while looking in the mirror), then when I get that straight I start with the rat tail at the back of the part and close my eyes and "feel" it going straight down the middle of my head. I have to do it fairly quickly...

This is what I do, too. I don't check in the mirror, though. Like tanya222, I don't think the part has to be perfect... or maybe I'm just a little tiny bit lazy...:pinktongue:

spidermom
August 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I really dislike the look of a straight slash of scalp, so 99.9% of the time I do not part my hair. I just stick my finger through my hair at the middle of the back of my neck and sweep my hair to each side, then use a hand-held mirror to view the back of my head in the bathroom mirror. I have a picture of twin buns in my photo album (spidermom tames the web) if you care to take a look at the results of my technique. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get the buns more or less parallel.

swivelhop
August 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Try parting with a double pointed needle or chopstick, but "wiggle" it as you go. Works well to get an overall straight part without seeing skin.

ravenreed
August 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I use a metal knitting needle to make a part and it takes a few tries. I also anchor each double bun with a ponytail holder first. It is the only way I can hope to get them in the same general area. Then, I often have to sort of wiggle one bun a wee bit higher or try to squish it lower to match the other one.