PDA

View Full Version : Bald spots on side of my head?

Luna12345
August 25th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone, I have these 2 very small bald spots on each side of my head, You can't really tell they're bald spots , It looks mre like my hair is just thinner on the sides , however when I part my hair I can see it and the skin on the scalp is ssmooth so it doesn't look like any hair is coming out. I use to tie my hair in a really tight pony tail for most of my teen years and since the age 18 I've been coloring my hair almost all the time, could it be because of that?....has anyone experienced this before....should I see a doctor or is it not that serious?

Tiina
August 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I think dye damage and pony damage both would be spread out all over the head instead of localised in those spots. Maybe it is just some natural quirk your head has that you haven't noticed before. I don't think there is any need to go to a doctor unless you notice the spots getting bigger or the skin there appears to be in worse shape than the rest of the skin on your scalp (rash or itchiness or something like that). :)

Centaur
August 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Luna, traction alopecia from the tight pony tails could be a possibility.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to vary your hairstyles so that you are not putting stress on the same area of the scalp every day. Also, experiment with looser, more hair friendly styles that don't put a strain on the hair roots.

Maybe doing a gentle scalp massage every day with essential oils (pre-wash) would help with re-growth.

jera
August 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
When you say the patches are bald do you mean they're completely hairless? If so perhaps you should see a dermatologist.

Centaur
August 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
When you say the patches are bald do you mean they're completely hairless? If so perhaps you should see a dermatologist.

I agree with this. If the areas where you used to place your tight pony tails are really bald and not just thinned, then it could be a totally different issue you are having, and a dermatologist would help you determine what that is. I would still recommend not doing any tight, scalp unfriendly hairstyles on a regular basis anymore, though. That is just general, good hair/scalp care.

SlightlySoprano
August 25th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Trust me from experience, the second you see any thinning or bald spots SEE A DERMATOLOGIST. Even if its just as petty as tension alopecia, GET ANSWERS because if it's something else, its more likely they can reverse it before its too late.

Darkhorse1
August 25th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I have this as well--it's just your natural hair line--most likely near your temples? It's where hair sheds and it grows back. I had what looked like thinned spots, and now? Fully covered. I'd taken a photo of them, but I think I removed them to upload other photos.

As we age, my hair dresser said women shed their hairs at the front of the head/hairline/temples. It will grow back :) Hugs to you!

In2wishin
August 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with several other posters that it probably isn't something to get overly concerned with but I do recommend a visit with a dermatologist just to rule out anything serious so you don't freak out if it happens again.

Luna12345
August 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks all for your answers.
my mom took a look at it and she thinks it looks like my hair thinning from too much hair dye and tight pony tails, and my BF doesn't think they look like bald spots and that I'm just being paranoid....now for me I still consider them small bald spots because I usually have very thick hair allover....ANyway, I'm going to wait a while and if I don't see any hair regrowth or if it seems to be getting worse then I will definately see a dermatoligist.

Igor
August 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks all for your answers.
my mom took a look at it and she thinks it looks like my hair thinning from too much hair dye and tight pony tails, and my BF doesn't think they look like bald spots and that I'm just being paranoid....now for me I still consider them small bald spots because I usually have very thick hair allover....ANyway, I'm going to wait a while and if I don't see any hair regrowth or if it seems to be getting worse then I will definately see a dermatoligist.

That kind of paranoia sucks. I’m a fellow C/iii’er and I can still obsess endlessly over my thin spots at the temples :rolleyes:

Could you maybe post a picture? It would be a lot easier to tell what we’re dealing with then :wink:

christine1989
August 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have/had something like that. It wasn't really a bald spot- more like an indent in my hairline where the hair just didn't grow well. Castor oil has been really helping it grow in and now it is way less noticable.

Purdy Bear
August 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
There are bald spots and then there are bald spots!

A bald spot that has no hair, and no colouring in it (ie hair under the skin) should immediately be investigated by a medical person, as this leans towards Alopecia.

A bald spot with darkness underneath the skin, is more likely to be a result of too tight a pony tail, hair do, but keep an eye on it. Regrowth should be seen once said updo is no longer used.

A thinning spot, can be natural, or the result of hormonal changes, if concerned see the Dr.

A lot of thinning to the front can be Alopecia or hormonal changes so again should be seen by a Dr.

Another type of loss that can cause bald spots is self pulling but youd know if you did that.

Lastly if you ever loose a lot of hair anywhere on the rest of the body that needs to be talked over with a Dr.