PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Lake Water on Hair

Rebelkat
May 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Quick question. I'm going camping within the next couple of weekends and was wondering, is swimming in the lake going to be harmful for my hair in any way? I plan on having it braided while swimming, but will it be enough?

florenonite
May 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I doubt it. I spent a summer canoe-tripping for six weeks on end, and WOed my hair in the lake, just free like a mermaid, and it thrived (though this was pre-LHC, so I was a bit less stringent in my standards). Of course, this was pristine lake water. If you're at a place with lots of motorboat traffic your results may be different.

physicschick
May 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It will be a good deal less harmful than chlorine. I love swimming in lakes! :) Getting your hair wet more often may dry it out more, so you might want to deep condition after your trip. You could also try oiling your hair before braiding, if your hair likes oil.

Ursula
May 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
It will depend on the lake. Some are wonderfully clean, some are rather polluted, some have naturally occuring contaminants which would make swimming unwise. Sometimes the status of a lake changes, depending on the weather.

Your best bet would probably be to check with the health department of the county in which you will be staying, and ask about the lake water - if it is considered suitable for swimming or drinking.

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Put some conditioner or oil on your damp hair before you get it wet in the lake water. I go up to Clear Lake in northern CA a lot, and it FRIES my hair every time (but it gets a lot of boat traffic and is not a pristine lake like the first poster was talking about). I would get my hair wet with regular water first, coat it with something, and then braid it if you're worried.

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
In general, lake water shouldn't be harmful to your hair. But talula_fairie's suggestion of wetting your hair and putting conditioner on it is a good one. I imagine that oiling your hair would work, too.

Riot Crrl
May 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah it depends on the lake. The closest lake to my house is full of green slime and duck poo. But if you have to go camping in order to go there, I'd imagine that increases the likelihood that it's fairly clean.

littlebabywulf
May 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
My hair loves lake water. It always ends up very soft and nice after swimming in it. I'm jealous! :)