PDA

View Full Version : CO-washers, how often do you clarify?

Luna12345
August 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hi, I started co-washing a few days ago so I'm still new to the whole thing. Those of you who do not use any cones, how often do you usually clarify you hair?

Carolyn
August 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Clarifying should be done on an as needed basis. When your hair gets to feeling gunky and coated, it's time to clarify. That might be 2 weeks or 2 months of more. It's going to depend on such factors as your hair, what products you use and how often you CO wash.

christine1989
August 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I try really hard not to because it leaves my hair so dry and frizzy. I usually do it twice a week since I use quite a bit of oil on my hair (once on a good week). I agree with Carolyn though, do it when you need it and don't let yourself get too much buildup or it will take a ton of shampoo to get the job done (been there, done that :))

Heidi_234
August 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Also a symptom - if your hair starts to feel damaged. Don't run to the scissors, try to clarify first. Happy COing! :)

Kristin
August 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I use shampoo once a week and CO probably 4-5 times. I guess I am "clarifying" when I do that, but I mostly do it because I love my ALS-containing shampoo and only allow myself to use it once a week so I don't dry my hair out. Good luck!

Deborah
August 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I never clarify. I don't use cones or sls or any type of styling products, so I don't seem to have anything to remove. My hair is always soft and shiny.

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
When you clarify, what do you use to clarify with?

trillcat
August 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I use VO5 Tea Therapy, it's cheap and it does the job, and smells really nice. I use their condish to CO, also smells just wonderful. I clarify oh, every two weeks or so? It depends on how my hair is behaving.
I recently started introducing cones back into my hair care on a limited basis, I use a hair masque with cones after I have conditioned the heck out of it, once a week. It's been a humid summer, its cones, or big poofy fly away WTH hair. Cones may not be the best, but they are keeping the small children from running screaming at my gigantic blonde lion hair. :)

Elenna
August 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Clarify once per week with Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, CO with VO5 the rest of the week, and no silicones in products.

Arianwen
August 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM
When you clarify, is it on the length only and not the scalp?

ravenreed
August 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I 'clarify' by using a regular but diluted SLS shampoo and I also do it as needed. If my hair feels like it has a lot of build up, I might add about a teaspoon of baking soda. I have gone as long as 4 months without doing it, but usually about every 2 -3 weeks is more normal.

Honey39
August 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I've been CO-washing daily for about two and a half years; I 'clarify' about every two months - basically just shampoo with neutrogena, lol. It works fine. Sometimes I think I should do it more often, but I hate the feeling of shampoo.

I use cone-free products almost exclusively, so I don't really get build up. Every so often though I think my hair will get a bit limp looking, so then I shampoo it.

I would just go by the feel of your own hair, I don't think there's any rule to it, to be honest.

Elenna
August 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM
When you clarify, is it on the length only and not the scalp?

I wash both the scalp & length with shampoo to clarify. But to each their own.

Heartwillfollow
August 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM
am new to CO am up to going 10 days before I clarify would do earlier if I felt it needed it. And I do my sclap and length. I CO twice a week

little_cherry
August 31st, 2010, 07:25 PM
I used cones once every two weeks and no cones every other time...even when I wasn't using cones, I had to clarify once every 2 weeks because I use shea butter and lots of oils.

Non coney conditioners will still build up and build up doesn't necessarily make your hair feel rough...it may feel limp and lack volume or just feel coated.