PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for updos for professionals.

girlcat36
August 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
My daughter just graduated college with a degree in finance and begins her new job this week.
Looking professional is very important in her line of work.
She is very frustrated by her difficult 2c/3a hair that tends to frizz, and would like to look 'professional' without flat ironing her hair everyday.
Anyone want to share advice or pics of there favorite updos for an office setting that are polished looking and not too difficult?

Here is her hair when flat ironed:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/alissashaun-1.jpg

She prefers this look, but it is time-consuming.

And here is her natural texture:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/039.jpg

I am not much help, since I am very 'updo-challenged', a simple ponytail is my go-to updo!

Thanks for any input! :)

itheleniel
August 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think a simple bun would look very nice with her hair.
By the way I love her hair.

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My daughter just graduated college with a degree in finance and begins her new job this week.
Looking professional is very important in her line of work.
She is very frustrated by her difficult 2c/3a hair that tends to frizz, and would like to look 'professional' without flat ironing her hair everyday.
Anyone want to share advice or pics of there favorite updos for an office setting that are polished looking and not too difficult?

Here is her hair when flat ironed:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/alissashaun-1.jpg

She prefers this look, but it is time-consuming.

And here is her natural texture:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/039.jpg

I am not much help, since I am very 'updo-challenged', a simple ponytail is my go-to updo!

Thanks for any input! :)

I think the natural texture looks professional. It is beautiful too.

I don't know why I hear all the time people think waves don't look professional and that flat ironed hair looks more professional.:(

girlcat36
August 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I think her natural hair looks pretty, too; but you know how 'they say' curls are unprofessional!
I don't think that's true, personally.

And I have no idea why that picture is so big! It's supposed to be small like the other one!

UltraBella
August 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I have never heard of any hair texture being unprofessional and I think her natural hair is amazing.

carloota
August 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I think the concern of looking professional versus unprofessional is if the hair looks unkempt. In the second picture, the hair looks polished and the curls are well defined. Gorgeous hair, btw, but then I'm partial to the curly look. :D IMO, the style in the second picture would work as a professional look.

Yozhik
August 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Half-ups, buns, and French twists would all look extremely professional, in my opinion.

I also love her natural hair texture -- it's so beautiful, and so is she :)

Sister13
August 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I would say a sculpted chignon and french twist. Even a low ponytail at the nape with a side part. Smooth the flyaways with aloe vera gel.

So it looks done.

Quixii
August 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Her hair is so pretty!

I don't know about "professional" updos, but I'm pretty sure any nice bun would work.

christine1989
August 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I love her natural curl! Unfortunatly there are a lot of people around who really do think that naturally curly and wavy hair is "unprofessional" and needs to be flat ironed :(. I think her natural hair texture would hold well in a French twist, figure 8 bun or a half up with a fancy barette. She could also try a sock bun if her hair is long enough which is always neat and tidy looking.

MandyBeth
August 24th, 2010, 11:46 PM
From my hiring side. Gibson Tuck or French Twist the first days. Anything that is tidy, clean, balanced is good. Side styles may be ok, but not to start. Use adult clips and no major redos at the desk. CONGRATS!

rhosyn_du
August 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Many of the women in my office have visibly curly or very wavy hair. Most of them opt for a bun, french twist, or simple ponytail.

Purdy Bear
August 25th, 2010, 01:47 AM
The sock bun is the one most military use, or a net to keep it off the back of the neck.

These I think would also be suitable:

French Twist
French Roll
Braided Bun
Chignon
Gibson Tuck
Full Gibson
Faux Bob
Pony Tail
Braided Pony Tail

Good accessories might be also worth taking time with, and making sure they match the occasion.

I think the most important thing is to be neat and tidy, with good healthy hair with few split ends etc.

There may already be a written or at least an unspoken rule of hair wearing for the chosen profession, it might be worth keeping an eye on or asking the Personnel Officer to see what they think.

Phexlyn
August 25th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Wow she looks gorgeous with her natural curls! :agape:

Now I think any balanced bun that is placed medium height or low on the head looks professional. I have a friend with very curly hair, it's a bit shorter though, and she usually opts for a half-up or a sort of bun with tiny clawclips that match her haircolour which looks really neat and professional.

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2010, 06:08 AM
i was an investment banker for 5 years and I wore my hair like this every day - without the extra bits coming out, obviously - I pull those out on purpose on weekends to give a more casual look (^(oo)^)

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6020&pictureid=78659

luxepiggy
August 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM
a chignon, french twist or regular bun are also good options. you don't mention what specific area of finance, but at least on the investment banking/trading/capital markets side I do not recommend any kind of braid or ponytail

Cupofmilk
August 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I work in finance. When my hair was nearly classic length , I was told on several occasions inc by HR that it was not professional to have such long hair. Mine is a 2a. I had to wear it up at all times and ended with it braided. Buns would have been much better. NOw I have shorter hair there are more options. Sock bun perhaps.

darkwaves
August 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM
At her length and with those curls, a simple peacock twist would be very pretty. (Like a French twist, with ends up, loose and curly.) But, sigh, with those ends loose and curly, it won't give her the neat sleek look I think she's seeking.

When mine was a little shorter than hers, I used to do a Topsy-Tail thing that ended up looking like a Gibson Twist. I doubt I can find pix now, but it's ponytailed, then pulled back down through the hair above the elastic (more than once?), then the lower ends were pinned like a bun. Tucking it that way gave a soft look at the sides -- not as severe as a bun.

Have fun! And congrats to both of you.

BattahZ
August 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Agreed with the updo suggestions above. I have 3a/b hair and I'm a government attorney, and I wear my hair down most of the time. There's nothing unprofessional about curls if they're kept neat and out of your face. In fact, I had my hair twisted like your second pic of your daughter just yesterday.

My only other suggestion for keeping her curls "professional" is not to show up at work with wet hair. That's a bit casual, and is a habit I had to break. Ok I lied, one more suggestion ;) Re: hairtoys, I'd limit anything too "cute" for the office. I stick with simple wood hair forks and sticks at work, and when I do use hairsticks, I use short ones that don't poke out too far. Even flexi8s - they're great, but I wouldn't wear ones with butterflies or birds or whatever to the office, and definitely not any with dangly bits.

Honestly I've only heard in magazines and on forums that curls are "unprofessional." I work in one of the most conservative fields out there, and my hair has never been an issue. I can understand wanting to wear her hair up since she's a new grad and probably wants to look older/more experienced, but she shouldn't worry about her curls seeming unprofessional.

Good luck, and congrats to her on her graduation!

In2wishin
August 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
When mine was a little shorter than hers, I used to do a Topsy-Tail thing that ended up looking like a Gibson Twist. I doubt I can find pix now, but it's ponytailed, then pulled back down through the hair above the elastic (more than once?), then the lower ends were pinned like a bun. Tucking it that way gave a soft look at the sides -- not as severe as a bun.

Have fun! And congrats to both of you.

I was going to suggest a Topsy Tail also with a chic barrette over the elastic. This can be done with or without the ends pinned under.

Medievalmaniac
August 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I think her natural texture would look AMAZING, and very polished, in a plain Gibson tuck. She could also twist going with the natural curl from either side to the back to form rolls, and then ponytail those or bun them at the back. I don't see any reason whatsoever why her hair in its natural state would make anyone feel that she were unprofessional-looking. She seems quite poised and polished naturally in her photos. :)

Xi
August 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Perhaps she might consider buying a ficcare? They make most buns look polished and professional to me. I feel her pain with the struggle for professional updos -- I'm a medical student starting clerkship this fall. So far, I think a braided bun (especially on slightly damp hair) is my most professional updo. Good luck!

P.S. Her curls are beautiful!:blossom:

TinaDenali
August 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I agree- I think the natural curls look great. I, personally, think she appears more grown up and professional with her natural waves as apposed to flat-ironed.

I really like the 'do she's got going on in the second pic - that's GORGEOUS!!

girlcat36
August 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM
THANK YOU all so much for your nice comments/compliments!
DD is a good girl, and I'm very proud of her!
I knew I could count on you all for great advice on hairstyles, plus a little insight into the professional world.

DD is a marketing coordinator at a company that makes investments for businesses, and will be living in the city. She wants to look professional for her job, yet stylish as a young person living in the city.

I have directed her to this thread, and I'm sure she will begin experimenting with all the different styles, and invest in a few quality hair toys.

She looked quite nice today with her hair slicked back in a ballet-type bun.

Thanks again! :inlove:

StephanieB
August 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sorry I'm so late to see this thread, bt hubby has worked in finance industry in NYC for decades.

Some of the styles suggested in this thread are not suitable for finance, although they may be for other industries.

Her hair should be up off of her shoulders, preferably also off of the nape of her neck, at all times. Curly vs straight doesn't much matter, since she'll need to wear very tight-looking styles. (I don't mean tight buns, but buns that are fully smoothed without tendrils escaping, for example.) And the buns or twists should be centered - not asymmetrical. Nothing hanging low enough to touch her shoulders - no braid(s) or ponytail or tospy turvy, etc. Finance is one of the most conservative (dress code wise) industries left, wehre women are expected to dress like men (ie - in simple-lined suits, and with short hair or polished updos).

A ballerina bun is perfect. So is a French twist. Or a sock bun. But no peacock! No half-ups. Not even Victorian twist or topsy turvy. Ponytail or braid(s) are out of the question. Your duaghter might try wearing a braided bun, but even at that - she should expect some odd looks, and some older peeps may say something to her about it looking unprofessional. The finance world's denizens expect to see smooth buns and twists and chignons - not braided stuff and not overly curly stuff, both of which is often perceived as 'frou-frou' and as unacceptable. This is a world of navy blue suits and charcoal suits, and - for the ladies only - dark taupe and/or black suits. This is a world of simple jewelry - nothing flashy. This world rarely goes for haute couture, or for feminine appearance. Usually one wears white shirts or ivory underneath their navy and charcoal suits. Once in a while a red blouse or a dark blouse is worn (by women, not the men) - but this, even, can cause raised eyebrows... and sometimes promote teasing. Clothing-wise and hairstyle-wisse, this is a truly boring existance - but it's only for your eight or ten hours per workday, and you usually get all holidays and weekends off to dress as you please... so it's not that bad. Just consider the industry's navy and charcoal suits with white or ivory shirts and simple smooth hairdos to be a uniform of sorts.

girlcat36
August 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
StephanieB--thank you for adding your advice to the thread! It is good to have your perspective of what is appropriate in the financial industry!

growingmyhair
August 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I know what you mean when you say she needs to look professional - there is a certain standard which involves a woman (and a man) looking like they get regular hair cuts and style their hair daily. this stereotype exists due to all the advertisement and it's impossible to overcome it. all one can do is only find smth in the middle.
I think the look in the second picture can be considered professional in many establishments