PDA

View Full Version : Bleach! Damage! Fun! (Kinda long.)

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Okay, so in about January or so, some of you may know I went through a bad breakup. So, I thought it'd be a great idea to bleach my hair. It got a little crunchy, but I also henna-ed it straight afterwards and it turned into a soft, light gingery colour that was actually quite becoming on me. There didn't seem to be a lot of damage, because to be honest, I sort of pussed out at the last second and only left the bleach on for about 20 minutes or so. So, then I dyed it THIS colour using those temporary Manic-Panic type colours. After they discontinued my shades (grrr!) I didn't know what else to do, because no permanent colour on Earth is that vibrant, so I went back to black (and also chopped off about six inches of hair. Eep. It's also a long story, but it's close to growing back now.)

About a week ago, I got hired at my school's library, which has such a lax dress code that my boss asked that I simply refrain from wearing pajamas to work. I fired off an email asking if weird hair colours were an issue and she said they weren't, so now I'm itching to go back to the vibrant, weird colours.

So, first things first, I need to lighten it. Because I'd applied black (two layers) over this temporary vegetable-based dye, it fades incredibly quickly. The first time I dyed it black, it went to a medium brown within a fortnight, and the next time (about a month ago) it started getting to the same shade about last week. So, my hair is black-ish, but definitely not the vibrant blue-ish black I had before.

ANYWAY. My plan was to do an application of Color-Oops first to see how much I can lighten it, and THEN apply bleach. What I want to know is what I can do, if anything, to minimize the damage I'm likely to inflict on my hair, and what experiences any of you have using Color-Oops over black hair dye. Also, can I bleach over Color-Oops, or am I in the middle of a pipe-dream? I may scrap the whole idea if the only solution is to bleach my way to blonde (or at least pale yellow). Also, after I do go lighter (hair willing, of course) should I wait before applying the final colour so that it doesn't get too dark, or does it not matter?

Phew. Okay, I think I'm done now. Thanks in advance!

kwaniesiam
August 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Okay, so in about January or so, some of you may know I went through a bad breakup. So, I thought it'd be a great idea to bleach my hair. It got a little crunchy, but I also henna-ed it straight afterwards and it turned into a soft, light gingery colour that was actually quite becoming on me. There didn't seem to be a lot of damage, because to be honest, I sort of pussed out at the last second and only left the bleach on for about 20 minutes or so. So, then I dyed it THIS colour using those temporary Manic-Panic type colours. After they discontinued my shades (grrr!) I didn't know what else to do, because no permanent colour on Earth is that vibrant, so I went back to black (and also chopped off about six inches of hair. Eep. It's also a long story, but it's close to growing back now.)

About a week ago, I got hired at my school's library, which has such a lax dress code that my boss asked that I simply refrain from wearing pajamas to work. I fired off an email asking if weird hair colours were an issue and she said they weren't, so now I'm itching to go back to the vibrant, weird colours.

So, first things first, I need to lighten it. Because I'd applied black (two layers) over this temporary vegetable-based dye, it fades incredibly quickly. The first time I dyed it black, it went to a medium brown within a fortnight, and the next time (about a month ago) it started getting to the same shade about last week. So, my hair is black-ish, but definitely not the vibrant blue-ish black I had before.

ANYWAY. My plan was to do an application of Color-Oops first to see how much I can lighten it, and THEN apply bleach. What I want to know is what I can do, if anything, to minimize the damage I'm likely to inflict on my hair, and what experiences any of you have using Color-Oops over black hair dye. Also, can I bleach over Color-Oops, or am I in the middle of a pipe-dream? I may scrap the whole idea if the only solution is to bleach my way to blonde (or at least pale yellow). Also, after I do go lighter (hair willing, of course) should I wait before applying the final colour so that it doesn't get too dark, or does it not matter?

Phew. Okay, I think I'm done now. Thanks in advance!

Colorfix by One N' Only, not Color Oops. I've never had consistent results with Color Oops like I have with colorfix.

You can bleach just fine over a color remover, I'd suggest only using a 20 vol. though. Multiple applications of 20 vol are less damaging than say, one of 40. Make sure you get bleach powder and developer at Sally's separately, those bleach kits that come all together are often far weaker regardless of what developer it says it comes with. I can recommend Wella Wellite and Clairol Pure White 20 vol. developer.

What color are you going for? There are a few professional lines that do in fact have very bright, creative colors in permanent available. Goldwell and Framesi come to mind, I'm familiar with both of those. PM me if you're interested.

As far as damage goes, Aphogee 2 Step protein treatment is the best I have ever used, it literally held my hair together after bleaching it white. It didn't last forever though, so be careful. But you're not going for pure white so I doubt you'll need to bleach it that much.

The reason your black isn't holding now is because you applied it over previously bleached hair. There is very little pigment left in your hair and not much for the dye molecules to grab on to, thus rapid fading of any color you apply over top. Just be warned any other color you do after you reach blonde will likely fade quickly as well.

EDIT: I missed the part where you hennaed. You will not get past bright orange/very brassy orange-blonde if you have henna on your hair. End of story. Don't try for blonde, you'll totally wreck your hair in the process but you should be able to get it light enough to go any crazy color you want except for maybe baby pink/blue. Do the final color right after you get it lightened if you're intending to use something like Manic Panic again. If not, wait a bit unless the color is absolutely unbearable.

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Alright, thank you so much!

I'm actually okay with the dye fading. I'm actually going for this (http://www.manicpanic.com/images2/bestofbest/ench2.jpg) colour, and I've seen how that fades, and although you may think I'm insane for saying so, but I think it looks pretty neat.

Thanks for all the advice!

kwaniesiam
August 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You're welcome. Definitely do that right after the lightening, it might take a few applications to get green over top of the brassy orange you'll get so get a few extra jars just in case. Good luck, looking forward to pictures and if you have any more questions PM or leave me a message on my profile because I don't check the main boards that often ;)

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM
You're welcome. Definitely do that right after the lightening, it might take a few applications to get green over top of the brassy orange you'll get so get a few extra jars just in case. Good luck, looking forward to pictures and if you have any more questions PM or leave me a message on my profile because I don't check the main boards that often ;)

I definitely will. Actually, one more question: What kind of colour can I use that would "mesh" well with the orange? Like, if I applied purple over it, would it turn a weird muddy colour?

BattahZ
August 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Oooh do test chunks first!!!! I used peroxide over henna (years ago) and it turned my hair green. I think peroxide reacts with henna, so please be careful and test it first on some locks of hair you don't mind cutting off if the color turns out crazy.

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Oooh do test chunks first!!!! I used peroxide over henna (years ago) and it turned my hair green. I think peroxide reacts with henna, so please be careful and test it first on some locks of hair you don't mind cutting off if the color turns out crazy.

Hahah, well, considering my goal is green anyway...

kwaniesiam
August 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I definitely will. Actually, one more question: What kind of colour can I use that would "mesh" well with the orange? Like, if I applied purple over it, would it turn a weird muddy colour?

Keep the color wheel in mind. The opposite of orange is blue, so blue will neutralize orange. Purple over orange will likely not turn out well because it is partially blue. Depending on the base of the purple it can turn a burgundy color or it will end up a weird muddy brown. Always test first. Reds, oranges, and other warm colors over top of orange will always work out fine. I'd suggest trying to tone the orange before applying the green. A blue based toner to help neutralize the brassyness first will help the green come out a more true color.

As long as pure, body art quality henna was used it is safe to use chemical color or bleach over top of, what you experienced was likely the use of a henna compound containing metallic salts that reacted with the bleach, not the henna itself.

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Keep the color wheel in mind. The opposite of orange is blue, so blue will neutralize orange. Purple over orange will likely not turn out well because it is partially blue. Depending on the base of the purple it can turn a burgundy color or it will end up a weird muddy brown. Always test first. Reds, oranges, and other warm colors over top of orange will always work out fine. I'd suggest trying to tone the orange before applying the green. A blue based toner to help neutralize the brassyness first will help the green come out a more true color.

If I did blue over orange, wouldn't it turn a sort of limey colour? But yeah, a toner sounds like a great idea. On that note, Manic Panic does make a toner.

As long as pure, body art quality henna was used it is safe to use chemical color or bleach over top of, what you experienced was likely the use of a henna compound containing metallic salts that reacted with the bleach, not the henna itself.

I've bleached over the henna I used before (LUSH) so I know it doesn't have any funny reactions, so I'm definitely not concerned about any weird reactions.

kwaniesiam
August 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
If I did blue over orange, wouldn't it turn a sort of limey colour? But yeah, a toner sounds like a great idea. On that note, Manic Panic does make a toner.

I've bleached over the henna I used before (LUSH) so I know it doesn't have any funny reactions, so I'm definitely not concerned about any weird reactions.

Manic Panic virgin snow toner is a very pale violet that likely won't do much on orange hair. I used it to get white over a very very pale lemon rind yellow.

Meli1980
August 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Just becareful. This past year I totally damaged my hair by bleaching and toning beyond repair. I ended up having to get a haircut but luckily in time for some hot weather so it wasnt so obvious to my friends and family :p

Elph
August 24th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I decided to do my ends a while back. I had one application of henna and bleached the bottom 2-3 inches. I then dyed that purple with some old wackk stain I had in the draw - I am pretty sure that this is the same as manic panic. It was purple for 2 washes and then went a mossy/baby poo green colour.

Hope this helps