PDA

View Full Version : Moved 1500 miles - hair / scalp cranky - halp.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not really back, but I have no idea where I would ask a question like this besides here:

I moved from Vancouver, BC, Canada (holy moist air batman) to Denver, CO, USA (holy dryness batman!) obviously the tap water etc isn't be the same. I've been using pantene 'poo I cut with water and a jug of conditioner I got at Costco, plus I usually put my beloved AG Re:coil in. I'm naughty these days - I never protect my hair when I sleep but I do not comb/brush when it's dry - I only use a shower comb when it's loaded with con to detangle (I haven't forgotten everything, eh?) I haven't had a cut or trim in over a year so I have lots of splits, plus I had some highlights done (mostly grown out now) which could account for part of my problems:

A. my scalp is SO cranky, itchy like a mother, even if I wash every other day, sometimes I use head and shoulders out of desperation..

B. My hair dries out really bad, it feels skanky currently. Length is around midback, maybe a bit longer. I've totally forgotten how to hydrate my spastic hair!!!

What do?

cmnt831
August 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Have you tried a water filter for the shower? I think the Denver area has hard water. :shrug: And the dry atmosphere is no help either. My hair was a mess when I visited there for a time.

Cheeks1206
August 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure what the ingredients are in the Re:coil, but you may want to check it for humectants. If there are any present it could be leaching moisture from your hair as there is none in the air around you. Also check your condish. Other than that, I have no other advice. I've only lived in very humid environments.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'm using the moisturizing conditioner from Costco, I forget what a humectant would be called - is it the 'cone family?

Yikes, I wonder how to attach a filter to the showerhead or where to find one, for that matter. $ is tight, one income household/mortgage blah blah.

spidermom
August 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I agree about the humectants (like glycerin and aloe vera); you don't want to use them in a dry climate. Try oiling pre-wash, maybe a tiny dab post-wash, too.

And hi; good to see you!

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hi - we have veg. oil and olive oil currently, I miss my refrigerated coconut oil and shea butter. I guess I'm gonna have to budget for some hair-friendly stuff or my hair is going to pack up and move back to Vancouver without me..

Everything I've been using is 'quats and 'cones and a bunch of different stuff, I guess if it says "moisturizing" on the bottle it's bad to use with hard water?

cmnt831
August 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm using the moisturizing conditioner from Costco, I forget what a humectant would be called - is it the 'cone family?

Yikes, I wonder how to attach a filter to the showerhead or where to find one, for that matter. $ is tight, one income household/mortgage blah blah.

My husband found ours at Lowe's. He is, as they say, frugal about everything. He was pleased with the deal he got on it, but it may have been on sale at the time or something. As far as installation, I think there are different kinds so it would depend on what kind you find. But that's up to you. If the other suggestions work, you may not need a filter at all. :)

hmmm
August 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Olive oil works just fine on hair... no matter what kind it is. I know people who use sesame oil too - what sort of vegetable oil do you have?

I know I say this on every thread about cranky scalps, but oil really does solve most of those problems, even if you're using SLS shampoos.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks. I'll mention it to my DH, also, he's giving me some extra $ for clothes etc next month (outside the $ I get to put towards my debts. I'll probably head to Vitamin Cottage and see if they have coconut oil etc.

eta: does the filter with detachable showerheads (with a hose?)

If all else fails, I guess I can get some manner of Brita and do some PITA routine lol.

etaa: I actually did a CWC with my Suave (green apple) and washed/rinsed only with cool water. The vinegar rinse immediately nuked the itchies! Whoa!