PDA

View Full Version : I can't take the itchies anymore!

VitaR86
August 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Okay so some pre LHC history...

The only thing that seemed to work for my itchy dandruff filled scalp, was Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment. (http://www.headandshoulders.com/en-US/collection/intensive-treatment.jspx) I only washed my hair when it needed to be, which ended up being every 3 days. I cleaned my scalp with the H&S then washed and conditioned with what ever poo/condish I was using at the moment.

Once finding the LHC, I started to CWC with the products I still had and slowly tried to wing myself off the H&S. I've just started COing a week ago and my hair loves it. My scalp on the other hand is not happy at all. Is there something I can try and still be able to CO?

trolleypup
August 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Once finding the LHC, I started to CWC with the products I still had and slowly tried to wing myself off the H&S. I've just started COing a week ago and my hair loves it. My scalp on the other hand is not happy at all. Is there something I can try and still be able to CO?
Have you tried a vinegar rinse to finish? That helps some people with buildup and itchiness (like me).

virgo75
August 24th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I've read about tea tree oil helping dandruff and itchiness.

Giovanni makes a tea tree shampoo and conditioner.
Maybe you could try those?

VitaR86
August 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I tried searching for info on rinses but only found threads with others saying that they've used rinses. I haven't found any info on how to actually use a rinse.

bunnii
August 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I dilute about 100ml vinegar in 1 litre of cool water.

You can leave it in or rinse, I leave mine in because if I rinse I get itchies.

I use white vinegar, alot of people use ACV but my hair didn't like it.

VitaR86
August 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I use white vinegar, alot of people use ACV but my hair didn't like it.

Thank you so much!
I will definitely give it a try.

trolleypup
August 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM

I use white vinegar, a lot of people use ACV but my hair didn't like it.
Also a white vinegar user, mix is a bit stronger, but I rinse it out with coolish water, but not very thoroughly.

I'll note that the routine I use (mostly WO, sometimes very dilute shampoo, vinegar rinse) is to keep my scalp happy, my hair doesn't seem much affected by what I use, but my scalp is unhappy about lots of products.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Do you stink like vinegar if you use that rinse? I have horribly bad itchies at the moment, I'm actually scratching owies on my scalp at times it's so bad, I had that intensive H&S stuff before - it didn't work for me either. Try Nizoral (if you can find it...I haven't seen it in Denver, yet.) That stuff seemed to work ok for me before. It's $$$$ though.

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I like Apple Cider Vinegar/water mix rinses and adding a little tea tree oil to my scalp with conditioner to take care of the itchies.

When I used Nizoral, my scalp spit hair out like it was on fire.:eek:

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM
^ Egads. I steer clear of tea tree out of paranoia, I had it on my face once and I think I reacted to it, I'm not sure I'm actually allergic to it but I don't want to officially find out on my scalp, it's itchy enough. :eek:

bunnii
August 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Do you stink like vinegar if you use that rinse? I have horribly bad itchies at the moment, I'm actually scratching owies on my scalp at times it's so bad, I had that intensive H&S stuff before - it didn't work for me either. Try Nizoral (if you can find it...I haven't seen it in Denver, yet.) That stuff seemed to work ok for me before. It's $$$$ though.

:grouphug: you're back!

The smell goes away when it dries. At least it does for me.

VitaR86 - I hope it works for you :)

XcaliburGirl
August 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
CO made me pretty miserable with itching. I gave up, maybe too soon, but I was just not enjoying it.

My dandruff and itchy scalp are doing OK on shampoo bars with a vinegar rinse (not sure if I prefer WV or ACV) right now. I'm not flake free, but I haven't had any major attacks like I used to have. I rinse the vinegar out after letting it sit for a few minutes. I don't have any vinegar smell after.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hmmm and the vinegar is kosher to use with hard water? I've been informed I live in a hard water zone (which is screwing my hair up big time.) We have some white vinegar, I might give it a shot when I wash today...

hmmm
August 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Arianwen - You can use a mug of distilled water for the vinegar rinse.

Also, I have to recommend pre-wash oiling, because I always do. :p

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Oil the scalp?! I oiled now from the ears down just now, I have bad dryness due to hard water/low humidity etc.

I used a glass 355ml coca cola bottle to put a little vinegar in + water. *Adds distilled water to list of things to get* lol

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
^ Egads. I steer clear of tea tree out of paranoia, I had it on my face once and I think I reacted to it, I'm not sure I'm actually allergic to it but I don't want to officially find out on my scalp, it's itchy enough. :eek:

I would not recommend putting straight tea tree oil on the face. Dilute it...A LOT if you ever think about attempting it again.

My method for using tea tree oil on my scalp is the following:

After I shampoo and rinse my hair, I apply conditioner all over - scalp and length. Then I use a dropper to put a measured amount of tea tree oil over my scalp. Next, I massage the tea tree oil into my scalp. Because my scalp is already wet and covered with conditioner before I apply the small amount of tea tree oil, it helps to dilute it properly. Then I rinse well.

Also, using Brahmi and Amla powder mixed with water into a paste and applying it to my scalp and leaving it on for 45 minutes and then rinsing - is another method I used for itchy scalp. It gave my scalp a clean, refreshed feeling.

I haven't really been doing the tea tree oil and the powders lately. It is just a couple things I have done in the past that helped. I would do these treatments 2 or 3 times per week.

hmmm
August 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Oil the scalp?! I oiled now from the ears down just now, I have bad dryness due to hard water/low humidity etc.

I used a glass 355ml coca cola bottle to put a little vinegar in + water. *Adds distilled water to list of things to get* lol

Yes, the scalp :D
You're using shampoo to wash, right? Although CO gets it out as well, I hear...

ravenreed
August 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I used to scratch til I bled. Now I do an ACV rinse every time I wet my hair. I also find a light oiling of the scalp to be very soothing. However, I CO so it comes out pretty easily. I do a scalp oiling a few times a month.

Jessikinz
August 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
White vinegar rinses have saved my scalp from dandruff and itchyness! I haven't been doing them for quite some time...and the problems are back. Also oiling helps me too, just put some on your hands and gently massage.

LindsayNichole
August 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
ACV rinses help me a ton too! I do one whenever my scalp starts to get itchy. Sometimes it takes a couple of times, but one is always enough for me to get a lot of relief. I was so glad to find that remedy here! Last time I tried dandruff shampoo, before finding LHC, it made my scalp sting so much, and made my eczema on my face break out. That was just basic generic Head and Shoulders type stuff, too. I actually need to do another ACV rinse today. It's been a long time, and my scalp is driving me crazy!

Arianwen
August 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, the scalp :D
You're using shampoo to wash, right? Although CO gets it out as well, I hear...

I've gone back to CO...

Should I use coconut oil to oil my scalp?

Antipodienne
August 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem with the itchies on occasion, although I usually don't have flakes. I use baking soda with a pretty strong ACV rinse, which I wash out as thoroughly as I can because I hate the smell, then typically I'll use a big handful of aloe vera on my scalp and down the length to banish the tight/dry feeling. I also scritch--very satisfying!
My DH uses the same and his dandruff is gradually going away as well.

hmmm
August 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I've gone back to CO...

Should I use coconut oil to oil my scalp?

You can use any oil, coconut oil is pretty good.

LithiaBlack
August 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I had terrible itchy scalp all my life and have recently discovered a remedy that works for me. I CWC with egg for the "W".

I just whisk together 1 egg with 5ml honey and 1 ml of citric acid.
When it's time to wash my hair I just massage my scalp with the egg, allow it do work a minute or two and then rinse out with luke warm water.

I also pre oil my scalp before washing with a hair oil made of sesame oil, almond oil,amla extract and shikaki extract.

I only need to wash my hair once a week and on the last day I usually feel a little itch but not like it used to be. And no flakes what so ever!

/L

Bene
August 26th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I'm going to chime in with another ACV suggestion.

ACV rinses cured my scalp of everything that was ever wrong with it. Itchiness, flaking, and a weird patch of dryness that would mysteriously appear behind my right ear. Doctors have given me the vague diagnosis of eczema (which doesn't mean anything more than ambiguous skin condition), allergic reactions, reactions to humidity, diet, etc. I even self-diagnosed (out of desperation) it as fungal, even though doctors told me it wasn't, and tried anti-fungal creams, but nothing worked. But since I started using ACV, my scalp is healthy and happy.

Anyway, my hypothesis on the miraculous cure is that the ACV brought my scalp back to it's proper pH balance. My scalp simply doesn't itch any more. It behaves as scalps are supposed to behave. After that, I've been able to narrow down what my scalp doesn't like, by testing one product at a time. My hair LOVES conditioner, and plays nicely with cones, but my scalp dislikes anything that says "conditioner" on the label. Luckily, I can use ACV for it's detangling/shiny inducing properties.

As for the smell, you can use a diluted amount, and rinse it out. There's no smell after that.