PDA

View Full Version : fully rolled sock bun. first try PIC and questions

squiggyflop
August 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM
well this is my very first try.. i had a hard time so im not going to redo it today..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/firstfullyrolledsockbunAug24th2010watermark.jpg
sorry the pic is blurry.. i take all my pics with my cell phone and the lens area is very dirty..

my question is what kind of pins do you use to secure it and how do you fasten the pins in place without distorting the bun?

mine wont stay by itself.. it will unroll the last 5 inches or so.. i tried pinning it but the bun got all wonky (as you can see in the pic) from the pinning.. i used good-days pins.. is that where i went wrong? where doo you place the pins? how many do you use?

*sigh* ive decided to walk around today with this wonky bun.. maybe people will think its messy on purpose.. i hope so because im going out today with a friend to the movies for 5$ tuesday..

also why do i have a highlight on the underside of my hair??

Harriet
August 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm experiencing the same problem!
As for the random highlight, I have a similar thing too only mines more of a blonde streak at the nape, most odd!

Danaus plexippu
August 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I always secure in a pony tail and then roll the sock in. I also spray the ends lightly with a texturizing spray, it seems to help them stay tucked into the sock better. I roll it up while tucking and tucking into the sock. It stays all day, no pins. When I take it out, I have loose, high-volume waves for the next day. I think my tip/trick is the texturizer (Redken fabricate) and really tucking those ends in while I roll.

BTW: I like the highlights!

ETA:
Just thought...my hair isn't nearly as long as yours. I'm just between APL and BSL, so maybe the extra length is the issue...

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2010, 10:32 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52893

At the end of this thread (page three) I answered questions on how to get the buns to hold in long hair, I think its entitled souck bun trouble shooting 101, I wrote it for Henrietta who has lovely long hair.

I hope it helps :)

I LOVE your bun its soooo pretty! The under hi-light looks really cool too!

triumphator!
August 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I think it's cute in a kind of asymmetrical/mod kind of way! It's almost square-ish :)

Rennire
August 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I use extra large bobby pins to secure mine. I put one straight accross the top to hold it up and then two more at 4 and 8 o'clock at the bottom. I stick them in the back part of the bun so they don't show.

I think your bun looks pretty good for a first try! I'm sure you'll have it mastered in no time!

Alvrodul
August 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I really must try a sock bun myself - I suppose it is remiss of me not to have done so yet. But I need a sock for that, and sorting socks is so teeeedious!

heidihug
August 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
LouLaLa's suggestions in her link are great.

I wear this bun quite often, and use Good Days pins, too, three or four of them. I slide them up and under, hooking a good amount of the underside of the bun hair into them before plunging them down towards the middle, underneath the hair elastic. That way they don't show, but the buns stays quite secure. While others with shorter hair may find that they do not need to pin, those of us with more length may (or may not, YMMV) find the bun to be too heavy with hair weight to stay rolled and balanced without pinning.

Your first attempt was quite nice, you'll be a pro in no time.

Luckysock
August 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm gonna add my sock bun too - as I think we have a similar issue - Mine looks pretty solid in the pic but after about an hour of wear today, it got a bit loose and started to sag and unravel itself. I've been telling myself that it will get more solid as my hair gets longer, but I'll have to see if that's true.

Also what do people think about the size of the sock in relation to getting it to stay? or more importantly possibly, the size of the donut hole? Maybe I need to do some trial and error to find the right size for my hair - something that will hold.

I'm excited to read Loulala's advice!

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad349/luckysock/LHC%20Aug%202009/P8240011.jpg

Meli1980
August 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I could never get my hair to stay in any kind of a bun. I think it was always to thin and 'slippery':(

StarryNight
August 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I use 3 hair pins (I bought mine from Sally's) and it stays in well all day. My hair is very layered and BSL, though.

Henrietta
August 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52893

At the end of this thread (page three) I answered questions on how to get the buns to hold in long hair, I think its entitled souck bun trouble shooting 101, I wrote it for Henrietta who has lovely long hair.

I hope it helps :)

I LOVE your bun its soooo pretty! The under hi-light looks really cool too!

Thank you for the length compliment... :flower:
When I saw this thread I thought "Oh, I have to post a link for LouLaLa's magic list!" but... You were faster ;);)

squiggyflop
August 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
well i think i got it down now.. i wore the style for most of the day.. yup regular bobby pins work waaay better than good days pins..

SpinDance
August 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I've always shied away from sock buns, but I think that may need to be the next thing I learn!

christine1989
August 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It looks great! My first (and second and third......) try was not nearly that good.

ldc441
August 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
that looks great mine always turn out that same way and i love the way the sock bun holds so well