PDA

View Full Version : My hair is still thinning....

marimara
August 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM
So I posted here about 3 months ago that my hair was shedding dramatically. It's still shedding, though it has slowed down. That was in June, it's now almost the end of August. I used to have thick hair, almost 4" ponytail. Now I don't dare even measure but it's probably half that. It was feeling very dry in the beginning, now the texture feels healthy. I'm using cone free conditioners (giovanni) and cocosulfate instead of sls shampoo. So I'm pleased with the texture, it's soft and healthy feeling. But I'm still losing lots of hair w/the root attached.

I have had my thyroid levels tested and should be getting the results any day now. I have not been able to even get an apt w/ the doctor to have my vitamin levels checked but if the thyroid comes back negative I'm gonna push hard to get an apt soon.

My question is, if you had significant shedding/thinning due to a medical reason (not medications-I'm not taking anything), what was the cause ultimately? So I can guide my doctor into taking the right tests.

Thanks!!

jennyjb
August 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I get major sheds now and again after my arthritis flares up (last one was almost a year ago so things seem to be under control, but it's not very predictable). I think other autoimmune disorders can cause shedding as well.

x0h_bother
August 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
For me, my horrendous shedding was due to the no SLS. I was considering getting my thyroid checked, but then I stopped shedding when I went back to SLS. While it could be thyroid in your situation, it could be scalp health.