PDA

View Full Version : Hair Disaster, I'm actually crying

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I just returned from a hair salon where I had my roots bleached a week ago. The woman who did my hair suggested I do "toning" next time to even out the shade of my very bleached, platinum blonde hair. I am in Russia (just came from SE Asia where I did all the bleaching previously) and this is my 1t time doing hair here. I see many girls having really nice shades of blonde (and I mean very blonde) hair so I figured that hair salons and hair dyes here are really good.

Anyways, I told her many times that I want them to be of non-yellow, non-golden shade only, as white as possible, I've actually emphasized the fact that I ONLY want to do "toning" if it will take out the yellowish tint and leave me with a nice "cool" shade of blonde (my hair started going yellowish/greyish after some time and the silver shampoos weren't helping much anymore). I even found a photo in a magazine to show her exactly what shade I want, which was something like this http://www.hji.co.uk/image/2006-long-blonde-qhs557.html

After I looked in the mirror in my bathroom I couldn't help but cry (this is the first time I'm actually CRYING after a hair salon). It didnt look that bad in their mirror. Basically the shade of my hair now is much darker than it was and its something between pink, yellow and grey in shade. The top hair (ones that were bleached recently and that were least damaged) are mostly pinkish, and the rest has this dark unpleasant grey and yellow tint to it- you know the kind you get if you don't use proper shampoo and wash them in dirty water full of rust and other crap.

I did tell her that this is much darker shade than I hoped for (in their mirror I didnt notice the pinkish shades and all, just thought it turned out darker and had a golden/warm tint to it) and she told me bunch of crap that there is no way they can go any lighter because my hair are just too damaged or the tone will not look "even". I then asked her what will happen if I lighten them myself with a dye I bought in store and she said that it wont do anything good, just give me an "uneven" tone (like as if what I have now is an even tone, not to mention that it looks absolutely disgusting) and that my hair might not take it and fall off.

I can't believe this. I dont know what to do. There is no way I can go to another hair salon to fix this, I have no more money left for hair salons. And I cant stand to look in the mirror at myself now after paying 120 USD so that my hair would look the way they do now. Every time I look in the mirror I just wanna cry.

What do you think will happen if I try to fix this myself using this color- http://www.vlasy-kosmetika.cz/SCHWARZKOPF-Palette-Intensive-Color-Creme-barva-na-vlasy-Super-Blond-E20-1611.html ?

She told me not to mess with my hair and that this hair dye she used is going to wash out eventually. Is that true? If so, how long would that take? Or is there anyway I can do something to make this color wash out somehow? Please help.

emma907
August 24th, 2010, 06:26 AM
That was terrible treatment of you by the stylist by the sounds of it.
I would march right back in there and demand to speak to someone superior to try sort out what the stylist has done to your hair!

You paid A LOT for the colour, you should get what you asked for.

I'm so sorry that its turned out this way for you. :(

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Yes I know, and in normal circumstances that's what I would do. Unfortunately that only works for some countries like U.S. There is nothing I can do about it in Russia.

morecowbell
August 24th, 2010, 06:29 AM
((HUG)) I'm so sorry that this happened!
There are two things I would try before you dye your hair again, because that could be damaging:
First, do an oil soak. And I do mean SOAK. Dip your hair in oil (doesn't really matter what kind, cheap vegetable oil would be fine), get it sopping wet from roots to tips, wrap it in a plastic bag, shower cap, etc, and apply heat (blow dryer, heating pad, or just wrap it in a towel), and leave it in for an hour to overnight. Use a very harsh shampoo a few times to wash it out (baby shampoo is fairly harsh, or anything that says "clarifying") This has worked for me when my permanent dye was too dark. It might not get it all out, but it should help.

If that doesn't work, I would try something like Colorfix (http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-remover/SBS-342350,default,pd.html) (I'm sorry I can't be of help finding a supplier in your country)

Again, I'm sorry about your bad experience, and I hope you find a solution!

halo_tightens
August 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I think it depends on what exactly she used to tone your hair. Some kinds are permanent, and other kinds will fade in time as she said. I wonder what it was...

I believe long soaks with oil, like olive or coconut, can help to oull out dye faster.

ETA: It looks like morecowbell had the same thought!

morecowbell
August 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Forgot to add, honey lightening is also a viable option, and far less damaging than colorfix would be
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148&highlight=honey

Evie
August 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Hugs to you, I know what it is like to have a hair dye disaster ( or two, or three) and feel terrible when you look in a mirror.

I would not try to dye over it yet - try the oiling mentioned, or perhaps some honey lightening (will try and find the thread) and the suggestion to wash several times with a harsh shampoo (baby shampoo worked a bit for me before). Hopefully this will strip out some of the dye.

I would not try bleach, that might make your hair feel worse in the end, and if you can get enough out using 'gentler' methods that might be worth a try in the first instance?

bumblebums
August 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Carena, sorry about your troubles! The nice shades of blonde you saw in Russia are probably natural or close to natural--many Russians, like Scandinavians, have naturally blonde hair, which can be lightened safely with minimal bleaching. If you are dyeing to lighten more than a few shades from your natural haircolor, you always risk damage...

If I were you, I would not dye again any time soon. Your stylist is right--your hair and scalp need time to recover. You can tinker with the shade a bit by using a special shampoo or rinse, like those blueish things they sell for blonde hair. You can probably find them in any decent salon or store (you don't say where in Russia you are, but those kinds of stores are not hard to find in Moscow or St. Petersburg). For natural options, you can try amla, chamomile tea rinses, honey, and so on. You can buy amla in an Indian spice store (google around for your location).

Good luck!

jennyjb
August 24th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Oh Carena that's so sad. I don't know what products you can buy in Russia, but anti-dandruff shampoos (the opaque ones like head n shoulders) have a reputation for stripping out dye.

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I just took these photos of what my hair look like-

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3875/dsc00875bn.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img844/7088/dsc00879f.jpg

They look even worse in real life. The camera doesn't seem to catch the pink shades. And she also chopped off a whole lot of my hair when I only asked her to trim the ends slightly.

Just look at my avatar photo and compare my hair to these photos. Can you believe this?

Every time I see this I just want to grab the hair dye I have and lighten them right now. I know its not a good idea. And I thought that in SE Asia they do lousy jobs....not anymore...

Anyways, I have Loreal Professional Shine Blonde and Schwarzkopf BlondME for cool tones of blonde. But I feel hopeless, I doubt they will bring my hair back to the shade I have.

My hair don't feel all that damaged actually, the damaged hair she seems to have all chopped off I guess.

Let's say I give my hair some rest and do home treatments, what then? Will I be able to dye them with the Palette afterwards?

At this point I care less about them falling off than them looking the way they do. If there is nothing I can do about this color, I might as well just shave my head because I absolutely cannot have this on my head. This is beyond any reason. I have friends coming over to see me who I haven't seen in 4 years in a week from now and I can't stand to look this way when they come.

You know an interesting thing I noticed, I don't remember a single time when a woman did my hair that I didnt want to go somewhere else to have it fixed....at best they would make just a simple cut that wouldn't make me feel horrified when I look in the mirror but nothing special. In Asia where I lived it was a guy who did my hair and they looked just the way I wanted them. Anyone else had this experience? I almost feel like women stylists want to make you look "uglier" on purpose. I think this is the last time I am ever going to let a woman do anything with my hair. This last experience was a last drop.

What happens if next time I go to a hair salon I request a male stylist?....lol..Do you think this will look weird?

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
What was your natural colour? It may help to figure out when the pigments are going the way they are.

Lifting hair to such a level of blonde is very complex and may involve one of those ultra lightening packs (what people usually use to dye hair white enough to deposit blue/pink etc) and then "darkening" the hair with an ultra light blonde. There is a limt to how much you can lift a colour. I see some shading at the root too, did they just tone or dye?

This will involve some really aggressive bleaching so id say you need to go to a professional to get this corrected. An at home dye job unless you have great experience with colour/pigmentation could go really wrong. I would also say if you really want to go ahead and do this yourself please please cut a little tab off hair off that you dye first so you can see what colour its going to come out before you put it on all your hair.

Bleach strips so much out of the hair id really reccomend doing a little "inch" test as you dont want to destroy all your hair, also it may go an odd colour.

*hug* sorry it isnt want you wanted. If you can figure out what your natural base is, it will be easier to see who much you can alter the pigment/why its going pinkinsh/gold toned.

Hmm what you really need is for Ericthegreat to swing by as he is a professional and has gone from black hair to blonde. I hope he/someone with a similar background can help you.

x0h_bother
August 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You're right, the hair looks much more yellow than your avitar, but you're not that far. I would try some natural lightening techniques first like the honey suggested. Or you may just need a second process to finish the job. I know people dying from darker colors take multiple salon visits to go very blonde.

bumblebums
August 24th, 2010, 09:27 AM
It doesn't look that bad. The pics overall have a yellowish tone, too, so it's hard to tell just how yellow the hair is. But I've seen far worse :) The cut is good, too.

You can ask for a male stylist. Nothing weird about that. But really, find a person who has the shade you like and ask him/her where they do their hair. A recommendation is better than just poking around blindly in an unfamiliar city.

Evie
August 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Having seen it, I really would try the honey lightening, and also some harsh shampoos - lather and maybe leave on for a few min before rinsing? I have had hair break off when I tried to correct a chemical dye job, and it is horrible when it happens honest, so I would try very hard to leave off the dye for a bit :confused:

ETA: what is your natural colour, by the way?

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
As for what she used on my hair, it was WELLA....I believe she mixed two colors together. Last week she pointed to two color samples that were totally not blonde in shade, I think one was brownish shade and the other one was lighter, like ginger or something. And she said that if she was to mix two together then I would get the shade of blonde I want. I thought she was kidding......I guess she wasn't....

I just told her that I want them non-yellow and basically like the shade that was on the picture I showed to her. I figured as a professional stylist she has to deliver what I wanted....I guess I was wrong.

I gotta say she stood her ground quite well though. I think she realized that she screwed up but she just put a bunch of bs on me, basically saying that it's not the hair dye but my hair that are the problem. How can I possible argue with a professional...

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM
As for what she used on my hair, it was WELLA....I believe she mixed two colors together. Last week she pointed to two color samples that were totally not blonde in shade, I think one was brownish shade and the other one was lighter, like ginger or something. And she said that if she was to mix two together then I would get the shade of blonde I want. I thought she was kidding......I guess she wasn't....

hmmm usually very white blondes come from violet or grey dyes in my expereince.

What is your natural colour? It will help explain why the pigments are turning out the way they are, the natural hair base efffects dying outcomes quite a bit. Your hair is still very light, it just has more gold tones than desired.

If you do think it is her fault for mixing up dyes you didnt ask for and she didnt explain their outcomes and not just the risk of lightening hair extensively, you should go to the head stylist in the salon and insist on a colour correction. If you dont want that option then ask for a refund and see a different stylist.

Good luck :)

spidermom
August 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Definitely do the oil soaks; this will help the condition of your hair and pull some of the color, too. Wait at least two weeks after the last chemical service before you do anything with the color. Meanwhile you might experiment with scarves; there are a number of fasionable things you can do to hide your hair while it recovers.

bumblebums
August 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
If you do think it is her fault for mixing up dyes you didnt ask for and she didnt explain their outcomes and not just the risk of lightening hair extensively, you should go to the head stylist in the salon and insist on a colour correction. If you dont want that option then ask for a refund and see a different stylist.

I'm afraid Carena is right, they don't do that kind of customer service in Russia... They'll probably laugh in her face, and they might even screw up her hair worse on purpose because she complained. I wouldn't go back to the same salon to fix this.

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm afraid Carena is right, they don't do that kind of customer service in Russia... They'll probably laugh in her face, and they might even screw up her hair worse on purpose because she complained. I wouldn't go back to the same salon to fix this.

How sad :(

I wish Carena luck on her journey and agree with Spidermom to baby the hair for a while.

I used to dye my hair super light and all that happens is it gets very overprocessed evertually. My hair is natually a silvery ash blonde anyway so it wasnt even much lightening and it still caused havoc.

I dont think I would like a salon that didnt listen, its pretty scary :S
Hopefully one of the lovely hairdressers round here can help!

Nightshade
August 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I really don't recommend an at home box dye, it may well be more than your hair can handle at this point and may result it it going mushy and then breaking off. If you decide to do it anyway PLEASE mix up a small amount first and strand test, then give that strand test a few days to see how it reacts rather than doing your whole head at once.

Try the oil soaks, and apply gentle heat if possible a warm hat or a hair dryer perhaps?

I'd also be interested to know your natural shade, as when you lighten to blond hair has to pass through several stages of lightening, one of them is the brassy golden color you don't like. Perhaps your hair wasn't lightened far enough for that to be toned down?

Keep in mind that further lightening may go badly, hence the recommendation to strand test :(

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
My natural hair color is ash brown. Here's an old picture of me- http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=47851&id=1809245730&ref=fbx_album
But as you can see I had no problem bleaching them in Asia if you look at my avatar. And that's not to mention that my hair were died brown before I bleached them which created a problem and it took like 5 times to get that color due to the fact that they were died before, yet they did turn platinum blonde at the end.

They look WORSE in life than on the photo. On the photos you cannot see the pink shades but trust me you can see them very well in reality. Even my friend, who tried to make me feel better as much as he could, couldn't help but notice.

The bottom line is.....I just cannot afford to go to a hair salon to have this fixed. But thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna take a relaxing bath and try to forget that I have total mess on my head at least for today.

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Aww I feel really bad for you!

In the mean time could you get a shampoo for grey hair to tone down the warn tones? Theyre usually violet coloured. Several of my friends used this to great effect with very "white blonde" hair. I know Lush do one but im not sure if you can get hold of that in Russia. It might be a good stop gay till someone here can give you the advice you need on colouring.

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 11:12 AM
My hair can go pretty blonde depending on how and what you use. If they use the steamer to do the bleaching, it just takes one time to make them pretty blonde. One time they used Plantinum Pink paste by Loreal and it took like 30 minutes under the steamer for the roots to go completely white.....a piece of my hair did fall off though after this.

My hair on the avatar picture were already to the point of being "mushy" as someone mentioned, but the coconut oil masks I did afterwards turned them back into hair...it's hard to believe if you saw my hair after the process but coconut oil actually saved my hair and they looked pretty good. After that experience I am not so scared of my hair going spongy to tell you the truth, I am more scared that nothing can be done with this color.

As for this time, when she did the roots last week she used regular bleach and no-heat and it took 2 processes to make them blonde, the 2nd one was shorter though.

I forgot to mention that the toning dye she used contained no ammonia. All I know is that it was Wella brand w/out the ammonia in it and so she said it should be pretty safe for my hair..

Kome
August 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM
My natural color is a medium brown, darker than yours, and I can get that blonde shade in ONE shot. I don't even need a toner. I think this lady just wants money and doesn't really care about what you want, especially if she cut off more hair than you wanted.

If the damage in your hair isn't noticeable... then it's not damaged enough to "fall out" when you bleach it at home yourself. There is ALWAYS that chance with hair bleach, whether it's your virgin hair or your damaged hair.

I would do your hair yourself. I think you are more than capable. Do some research and get what you need. Do a test strip. When you bleach your roots they will be yellowy unless you use a 40 volume developer, but that will damage more. You can always use a toner to get the yellow out.

UltraBella
August 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I think whether you go to a salon or bleach at home, you are playing with fire. Your hair can only withstand so much damage before it literally falls apart and there will not be any amount of conditioning treatments to save it.
Once you have stripped every bit of color out of your hair and have over processed your hair to this extreme - any results are going to be unpredictable. I am *assuming* the stylist tried at first with a lower volume to lift your hair, because of how extremely likely it is for your hair to react poorly. When that didn't work, she repeated but with a stronger mixture.
I will be honest with you, I own two salons and I don't have one single stylist who would have been comfortable handling your hair. I am not trying to be harsh, just truthful. Your hair is not blonde, it is void of any color at all and that indicates severe damage. I am going off you hair pic on your page, not your new toned color. You have chosen on your own to bleach your hair to this extreme, but the minute you sit in one of my stylist's chairs, your hair becomes our responsibility. Regardless of what you have done previously, it is now fully on us and that is a very difficult situation because we can't guarrantee that your hair is going to respond in any expected way. Bleach does strange things to hair and results can vary dramatically.
I personally think you are very very lucky that your hair has not reached a point of no return. I would not bleach your hair if you came to one of my salons. It is 100% your choice what you do with your hair, I just would not be willing to take that upon my shoulders though.
I feel like my response sounds harsh and I don't mean for it to be. I understand wanting your hair a certain way and the disappointment when it doesnt turn out. It's a terrible feeling and I am sorry you are going through it. But it's the honest truth that when you come to a salon we really do want you to be happy, but sometimes our first thought is "Oh my lord, this hair is fried to within an inch of it's life and I am supposed to bleach it AGAIN !!!!! Are you kidding me ?????" So I just don't do it. I would tell you your options at my salon and assure you that if none of them were exceptable you could leave and go elsewhere, because someone will always be willing to take your money and do what you want, your hair may just end up in their shampoo bowl in clumps afterwards.
I really wish you and your hair the best and I do hope you will think carefully before making any decisions.

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I want to use this dye http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/4697823/ What do u think?

Nightshade
August 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I think you should read UltraBella's post :)

No one here is trying to be harsh or pessimistic, but honestly if your hair was going to mush before that's a bad sign. :(

You may have been lucky and had coconut oil pull you back from the edge of a disaster once, but I think if you go after your hair with any sort of chemical bleaching/lightening agent it may be damaged to the point that it will turn mushy and then start to break off in large pieces. :twocents:

GlassEyes
August 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I think Ultra Bella's response is pretty factual. I wouldn't bleach again.

However, if you -want- to try and remove any yellow tones, a toner without bleach might work. I can't tell if it's the lighting or not, but your hair looks brassy, not white--Special Effects makes a toner that can take pale, yellow hair to white. It doesn't contain bleach, and it's pretty weak with what it can do, but it does take yellow hair to white.

I'm not sure if you can get a hold of it in Russia, but it might be an option...

spidermom
August 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Seconding - read UltraBella's post very carefully. Of all who have commented, she knows the most, I believe.

Whatever you decide, first give your hair two weeks of extra-special care -- deep moisture/protein treatments with a reconstructing conditioner, oiling, keeping your hair put up and maybe wrapped up with scarves.

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I think whether you go to a salon or bleach at home, you are playing with fire. Your hair can only withstand so much damage before it literally falls apart and there will not be any amount of conditioning treatments to save it.
Once you have stripped every bit of color out of your hair and have over processed your hair to this extreme - any results are going to be unpredictable. I am *assuming* the stylist tried at first with a lower volume to lift your hair, because of how extremely likely it is for your hair to react poorly. When that didn't work, she repeated but with a stronger mixture.
I will be honest with you, I own two salons and I don't have one single stylist who would have been comfortable handling your hair. I am not trying to be harsh, just truthful. Your hair is not blonde, it is void of any color at all and that indicates severe damage. You have chosen on your own to bleach your hair to this extreme, but the minute you sit in one of my stylist's chairs, your hair becomes our responsibility. Regardless of what you have done previously, it is now fully on us and that is a very difficult situation because we can't guarrantee that your hair is going to respond in any expected way. Bleach does strange things to hair and results can vary dramatically.
I personally think you are very very lucky that your hair has not reached a point of no return. I would not bleach your hair if you came to one of my salons. It is 100% your choice what you do with your hair, I just would not be willing to take that upon my shoulders though.

No your message doesnt sound harsh, I understand perfectly what you mean. However in my case, I actually had a long talk with her during my first visit and told her all about the severe damage of my hair and the fact that I am ONLY willing to do that toning if that will provide the effect I want and not make my hair fall off. I feel she's actually been trying to "talk me into" doing this. And when I noticed my hair going dark, I asked her if that's what happening and you know what she said- "No no....don't worry....everything is fine". I am actually amazed by the confidence of that woman while my hair were obviously going pink and yellow and everything I asked her NOT to do to my hair and then tell me all this bs about how this color is going turn out almost like the one I showed her on the picture after she blow dries them.

I would love to have this kind of Hair Salon like yours where I live so I could actually get the truth when I go to one. But here, it works quite differently....they will tell you whatever you want to hear just to make you do it. They take no responsibilty. I am guessing that your hair salon is in the U.S.A. Well here, its on your own risk and the hair stylists apparently like to manipulate the information they have about your hair to make you take their services.

I had no problem doing it by myself if only I was told "no" in the hair salon. Even if my hair would fall out after *my own* treatment, well at least I would not have spent 120 USD to get this effect but only 5. And I am perfectly aware of the risks of the bleaching. But I was told quite the opposite....and charged a lot of money for it...now that's a way to make business, isnt it? This is how its done in Russia.

Thing is, I cannot go anywhere with this hair color....it looks ridiculous. You cannot see the pinkish highlights on the pictures I took but they are there. I have no choice but to take a risk and do something about it, like I said if I have to live with what she did with my hair then I have nothing to lose....I might as well just shave my head.

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
P.S. to my last post....I now think that she probably didnt use the steamer on purpose to leave my hair a bit yellow after bleaching so that then she could say that I *have* to do the toning next week to make it go away.

Yeah I've read UltaBella's post but it was just after I posted my question about the Palette Color. This thread is moving really fast....its just hard to keep up....sorry

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I think Ultra Bella's response is pretty factual. I wouldn't bleach again.

However, if you -want- to try and remove any yellow tones, a toner without bleach might work. I can't tell if it's the lighting or not, but your hair looks brassy, not white--Special Effects makes a toner that can take pale, yellow hair to white. It doesn't contain bleach, and it's pretty weak with what it can do, but it does take yellow hair to white.

I'm not sure if you can get a hold of it in Russia, but it might be an option...

Yeah I dont know if I can get this in Russia either. The hair dye I bought says it contains ammonia and peroxide...but doesnt say anything about bleach. It looks pretty gentle to me. I'm actually amazed by how much abuse my hair can handle. I don't care if *some* of them will fall out. As a matter of fact I know they will be breaking, what I'm trying to figure out now is just *how badly* they will be breaking.

I also think that she chopped off all the hair that were damaged big time (even though it didn't bother me because when dry they looked good anyways but she did it still) so the ones that are left are probably the ones that were not spongy in the first place. They feel so much shorter. I cant get used to it.

UltraBella
August 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Just so all your options are on the table, you do have another choice. You can use a filler color and go darker. Darker blonde, darker brown, you looked beautiful in your pic with darker hair. Depositing color is far less damaging than stripping color out. Just a thought........

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Just so all your options are on the table, you do have another choice. You can use a filler color and go darker. Darker blonde, darker brown, you looked beautiful in your pic with darker hair. Depositing color is far less damaging than stripping color out. Just a thought........

I know....I know....thing is I probably spent about 600 USD to be blonde....partially it was because since they were died brown before this, it created resistance in bleaching and it had to be done several times....then all the in-salon treatments, and if you take into the account all the professional shampoos and masks I purchased for home...then that would be about 1000 USD spent on hair...and that's A LOT for someone who lives in a 3rd world country.

It's very bitter to think that I went through all that just to come back to having dark hair....I like dark hair actually but I had them for so many years that I am simply tired of it.

But check this out- http://a.imageshack.us)/img411/5776/dsc00025pw.jpg

This is how my hair looked after ALL that bleaching (about 7 hours total time if you add it all together) and they looked like a total sponge after the last treatment....I mean it's like if you just pulled them slightly they would probably break apart like a cotton thread that was placed in pure bleach for some time. But this is how they looked after a few coconut oil treatments as well as salon treatments and good after-care. You'd agree they look nice right? Thing is, I didn't care that they were so damaged because they looked good anyway....

Whats funny about this story is that even after seeing what happened to my hair after that bleaching process that made them spongy (and yes it was scary) and then looking at ALL these hair coming out the first week afterwards- *that* did not make me cry. I wasn't even all that stressed...because somehow I knew that even after all these hair that are going to fall out I'm still going to have a whole lot of them left and they will look good....and they did, like on that picture.

But I actually CRIED this time after I came home and saw that they are like 6 levels darker plus yellow, grey and pink in shade.....even though they arent falling off.

Anyways, I'll come up with something eventually....sigh....I just wish they looked good when my friends will come to see me in a week's time....I havent seen some of them for 4 years....and the way they look now isn't even appropriate to show up in public I'd say....not to mention going to parties or other social events. It kind of looks like I spent couple of days lying in dirt on the streets and got my hair dirty in soil. Oh well....

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
If the url dont work, try this ones http://yfrog.com/bfdsc00025pwj or http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dsc00025pw.jpg/

Let's see if this works:

http://a.imageshack.us/img411/5776/dsc00025pw.jpg
By shadow1369 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/shadow1369) at 2010-08-24

justgreen
August 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM
As someone who has bleached (heavy highlights) for the last seven years or so, the only advice I have is to try to find someone to help you do some highlights, to help take out some of that color on the top hairs. Easier than that would be to do a few lowlights instead, to make the color blend better, wait a couple of months, then try getting some silver blonde highlights. I think my colorist uses 40 bleach on me and it takes about 40 minutes for my roots to bleach out. My regular color is very dark auburn brown.

Your ends look damaged. I would try a treatment of 50% good conditioner mixed with 50% honey. Apply this to clean wet hair, put a plastic cap on and leave it for at least 2 hours. The honey will also lighten it up a wee bit.

I would NOT do anything myself.....this advice comes from someone who has made that mistake.

Nightshade
August 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Your light hair does look very pretty on you :)

However you'll always be touching up the roots, and eventually it just isn't going to hold up to all the damage- you really only do have a finite number of hairs on your head :(

I think soaking your hair in warm oils and shampooing out with a harsher shampoo is your best bet for pulling out the color short term.

ETA: THat or the honey blend Justy recommended. If that isn't cutting it, honey and shampoo works too.

Since your hair underneath was bleached to the point that the colorist said that there was pretty much no color left, perhaps it will lighten back up and with some purple toner will be the cooler shade you like :)

Carena
August 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Here's a few more photos if anyone cares to see

http://a.imageshack.us/img830/9731/dsc00393m.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img691/3369/dsc00162wf.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img839/1319/dscf1739.jpg

And compare them to this:

http://a.imageshack.us/img832/1600/dsc00875q.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/4179/dsc00877i.jpg

How can you not cry?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will go over this thread again before I do my hair to go over all the advices and information. I'm off to sleep now...good night.

jackie75
August 25th, 2010, 06:25 AM
(((Hugs)))

I have been so upset about the tone of my hair before after bleaching, so I know where you are coming from.

What I would do (and have done) is spend some time pampering my hair....protein treatments, followed by moisturizing treatments.

Once a few weeks or more have passed, I used wella color touch with a very low developer to tone. I used the color wheel to determine what color I need to add to cancel out the color I hated.

Of course, this doesn't address what to do with your roots growing in, so that is something to think about.

In fact, I just ordered some more color, after having a bit of a break from toning. I'm trying one more tone ( a matt color instead of ash) to get rid of warmth in my hair. If it doesn't work, I'm so done, even with professional lines. Hair color can be very tricky...and I'm tired of fighting with my hair to get the color I want. I refuse to shell out big bucks for a color correction/salon job, where most likely they'll mess it up anyway. BTDT before lots of times and wasted a lot of money.

I hope you find a solution you are happy with!

ooo
August 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry, how the HD treated you. After all I like the now dark blond even more on you then the light blond.
Maybe it will grow on you too. I wouldn't do anything right now. The colour is probably going to fade pretty soon anyway.
:grouphug:

Melisande
August 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I know this is not what you want to hear and is probably less than helpful - but I have to say it: I like your hair better the way it looks now! The structure is better, it looks healthier and softer. I find it more flattering (although a pretty girl like you needs no flattering and can get away with a bit harsher color).

I understand that you are upset and want to change your hair but at least you can be sure that nobody will think it's horrible the way you do. Don't feel insecure. Take your time and listen to Ultra Bella's advice which sounds very sound.

But please, don't feel bad. You look so good. And your hair - it looks good. At least to me ;-)

spidermom
August 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM
So I hope you're doing the warm oil treatments and seeing a little bit of improvement. One of the members here used to bleach her own hair out to white blonde; unfortunately she had a baby recently and hasn't been around much. I think her natural color was dark blonde.

jera
August 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
If the url dont work, try this ones http://yfrog.com/bfdsc00025pwj or http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dsc00025pw.jpg/

Let's see if this works:

http://a.imageshack.us/img411/5776/dsc00025pw.jpg

I think you're a beautiful women with white blonde hair or yellow blonde hair. :)
That said, I do understand how you're feeling about your hair right now. Just please, don't do anything that would strip your cuticle and cause permanent damage. Your hair is much too pretty to lose. :applause

Darkhorse1
August 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
((hugs)))
We've ALL been there after a bad experience at the salon.

I'm not a colorist, but I do know that when you go as light as you were, I think there is a process? I do see the difference in the color and I know you want the white blond--can you return to the salon for them to redo it/correct it at cost? I don't know Russia policies.

Hugs! You are a beautiful young lady!!

Tressie
August 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry, how the HD treated you. After all I like the now dark blond even more on you then the light blond.
Maybe it will grow on you too. I wouldn't do anything right now. The colour is probably going to fade pretty soon anyway.
:grouphug:

What she said! :)

long.again
August 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I would suggest to not mess with it for a couple weeks. The same thing has happened to me but the toner turned my hair blue on my quest for platinum blonde. It faded very quickly and was the perfect blonde.

Idun
August 25th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Isn´t there some sort of silver shampoo or rinse that makes hair less yellow and gives it more of a silvery shine? I know a girl with light blond hair who use this to counteract warm tones. Unfortunately I have no idéa what the product is called.

ETA: It must be something like this (http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/loreal-professionnel/serie-expert/shampoo/l%27oreal-professionnel-serie-expert-silver-250ml.html).

Sorry if this has been suggested before. i have not read every comment.

LouLaLa
August 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Isn´t there some sort of silver shampoo or rinse that makes hair less yellow and gives it more of a silvery shine? I know a girl with light blond hair who use this to counteract warm tones. Unfortunately I have no idéa what the product is called.

ETA: It must be something like this (http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/loreal-professionnel/serie-expert/shampoo/l%27oreal-professionnel-serie-expert-silver-250ml.html).

Sorry if this has been suggested before. i have not read every comment.

Yes I suggested this too, so I looked in boots today at silver shampoos (im not buying any more stash but a girl can look right :p) and if it gets rid of yellow/bassyness on silver hair maybe it will work a bit for this too. although natural grey may react differently than dyed white blonde hair.

little_cherry
August 25th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I highly recommend olive oil soaks and the honey lightening..

Carena
August 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

I know many of you are saying the color looks fine or even better than the one before, but like I said before, my camera does not catch the pink tones in my hair for some reason..I dont know why. If you'd see my hair in real life, you'd understand what I mean. I tried taking few more photos, but still you can't really see the pink and how uneven the tone is...it's much darker on top than on the bottom.

Anyways, I did an oil soak and then used Shine Blonde silver shampoo to wash it out. The hair that were pink before turned violet....at this point I got seriously fed up with this and decided to call the hair salon after all...

The good news is that it seems like the lady who did my hair is aware herself that she messed up bad and actually feels guilty about it. So she gave me her mobile number and agreed to fix the mess in a few days outside the hair salon....for a small fee. She's gonna have to come by my place to fix it.

The bad news however is that it seems she's gonna have to use the bleach to bring it back to how it was before however she assured me that they will not fall off and that I will not have to shave my head. So meanwhile I'm gonna do few more oil soaks and hope for the best.

I bought coconut oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil. I'm gonna do coconut oil tomorrow, this what I normally use. And I haven't decided which one of the other two I will use before the bleaching and which one I will leave to use after the bleaching.

From what I read, jojoba oil is good for damaged hair that are brittle and breaking. So I will probably save this one for post-care as this is is what my hair are going to be like.

What do u think? Has anyone here used these oils? If so let me know. :)

bumblebums
August 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I bought coconut oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil. I'm gonna do coconut oil tomorrow, this what I normally use. And I haven't decided which one of the other two I will use before the bleaching and which one I will leave to use after the bleaching.

From what I read, jojoba oil is good for damaged hair that are brittle and breaking. So I will probably save this one for post-care as this is is what my hair are going to be like.

What do u think? Has anyone here used these oils? If so let me know. :)

I've used all three. On my hair, coconut works best. But it really depends. They won't harm your hair, so you should try all three. The only thing I know is that coconut and avocado are supposed to be able to penetrate the hair shaft, which you need right now, whereas jojoba just covers the hair. Coconut and jojoba are both chemically similar to sebum, though.

UltraBella
August 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
She is going to try to fix it outside of the salon, in your home ??? WHY ????? That seems very strange.

bumblebums
August 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
She is going to try to fix it outside of the salon, in your home ??? WHY ????? That seems very strange.

It's actually not unusual for Russian hairdressers to make house calls. Some cut hair in their own apartments, too.

paperwhite
August 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Honestly, I'm more miffed that she's charging the OP even more money, even if it is a 'small fee', to attempt to correct a mistake she's admitted to. If the OP had seen a different hair dresser and then asked this one to try and fix things, that would be different. IMO, it's not ok to charge someone more money to correct a mistake you made.

LouLaLa
August 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Good luck! Just make sure your hair is super clean when you do it as im a little worried that with oils on you might get patchyness where the dye does/does not take.

I say this as when I dyed my hair I used to dip my ends in oils to stop the dye being taken up too much by the damaged ends. It produced a slight ombre result which was ok as it was my ends but Id hate for you to get patchyness near your root after all the woe youve been through with this.

The very last time I dyed I put a heap of SMT (link in very important threads) on afterwards and that seemed to calm my hair down really nicely so maybe you could consider this.

Im sure itll be fine though, good luck, I hope you get what you want, dye can cause alot of trauma if its not the outcome you want so hugs!

Carena
August 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Nothing is strange in Russia. I mean its RUSSIA we're talking about. But I gotta say it changed to the better from what I remember it to be 5 years ago. Back then if you buy anything defective in the store for instance, dont even bother trying to return it, they will just tell you to go to hell. But now you can actually return products within 2 weeks of purchase, I was so surprised. Same with the hair salons, I remember my mom cursing the woman who chopped off her hair and did a horrible hair cut which was nothing like she asked for.

I was soaking my hair all day today in oil, and I'm going to use the honey now to lighten it. My guess is that the reason she wants to come over my place to fix it is either cause she's afraid she might get fired if someone sees what she did, although unlikely, or maybe the staff told her that she cannot fix my hair for small fee and has to charge me full price if I come to the salon....I don't know :confused:

lapushka
August 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I really hope she's not going to make it even worse! Why not have someone else in the salon fix it for you? I wouldn't trust her a second time! She had her chance and she blew it. It's quite obvious she doesn't know how to do this, or either she isn't used to doing this.

If I were you, I'd let it go, and stop with the bleaching before it's too late. There's only so much your hair can take all at once.

SilvraShadows
August 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Nothing is strange in Russia...

My guess is that the reason she wants to come over my place to fix it is either cause she's afraid she might get fired if someone sees what she did, although unlikely, or maybe the staff told her that she cannot fix my hair for small fee and has to charge me full price if I come to the salon....I don't know :confused:

If, and I am saying if, this was done in the States I would suspect she would be thinking of legal ramifications. Outside of the salon, there are no witnesses if the worse happens, so it's your word against hers.

But why the fee? At this point it is her loss if you spend time in the salon chair, but she needs to make it right, there shouldn't be another full price charged to you. Maybe it's the salons regulations?

I hope all goes well for you, I think you are handling it quite well.

Carena
August 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
They will not let anyone else fix it from what I understand or nobody in the salon wants to take the responsibility. I would never let her touch my hair if only I had money to go somewhere else. Things don't work here they way they do in U.S....sadly, I know, I grew up in the U.S.A. Thing is, I am totally broke right now, its either this option or no option. Leaving it the way it is is not an option. In this case I would rather shave it and wear a wig. So at this point I don't really have much to lose, because if the hair arent going to handle another process I might as well do just that, but I can at least give it a try before I decide to shave it. I predict they are going to become spongy but they will survive and then I'm gonna have to do lots of home treatments with coconut oil like before which is a headache but I will get through it.

I guess she want to charge me for the cost of the bleach only or something....she said that maybe she wont charge me at all or very little. Actually at 1st, she told me to come to the hair salon and that she will fix my hair free of charge. But then later that day she said that she will have to come to my place and fix it for me at small charge....I'm guessing the hair salon didn't let her do it for free?

We agreed she's gonna do it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Carena
August 30th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I really hope she's not going to make it even worse! Why not have someone else in the salon fix it for you? I wouldn't trust her a second time! She had her chance and she blew it. It's quite obvious she doesn't know how to do this, or either she isn't used to doing this.

If I were you, I'd let it go, and stop with the bleaching before it's too late. There's only so much your hair can take all at once.

If, and I am saying if, this was done in the States I would suspect she would be thinking of legal ramifications. Outside of the salon, there are no witnesses if the worse happens, so it's your word against hers.

But why the fee? At this point it is her loss if you spend time in the salon chair, but she needs to make it right, there shouldn't be another full price charged to you. Maybe it's the salons regulations?

I hope all goes well for you, I think you are handling it quite well.

I didnt like the idea of her coming over too actually. So I insisted she will do it at the hair salon. So yesterday I went to her and she tried to bleach it lightly again but it really didnt change much. Actually they became more red, I wonder why. So they gave me back the money for the last job- the one that screwed everything up.

I'm gonna need to spend a lot more than what they refunded in order to fix what she did of course but I'm just glad I've over with that hair salon finally. This was really the best way out. They even told me where to find another hair salon that has the L'oreal colors and treatments which their salon didnt carry. I can't believe that I didnt see that salon before. Its located in a very convenient place in a mall and it looks really nice and professional. And there is a guy stylist too (the other place only had women).

Only thing is they do not want to bleach my hair because they dont want the responsibility as they think it might fall off....well I expected they would say that. I told them I can sign the paper saying I release them of the responsibility if anything might go wrong if I decide to take the risk anyway. But I decided I will give it some time to rest now before I try to bleach it. They said that a very short hair cut might be the solution in my case if I want to keep them blonde, I guess I might consider that.

I scheduled an appointment in a few days to fix my hair and we agreed that they will take another look at my hair then and see what can be done.

I'm just glad that I found another hair salon that is actually good and nearby my house. I wish I found it earlier when I still had hair that could be worked with. Well at least the nightmare of that hair salon is over.