PDA

View Full Version : Hair & Scalp Care Help

CricketSong
August 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
First off, gotta apologize because this post might get lengthy :p Been lurking here for a couple years, but my hair concerns have finally gotten to the point that I need some advice. (There's an ad for "younger fuller hair" above this that's really depressing me ;))

So summary: I have medium-fine hair, and it's very thin (about 3/4 of an inch in diameter, I suppose it would be if I added my shorter layers in). For the past few years, I seriously deprived my hair nutritionally/hydrationally and lost a lot of weight. And I mean serious depriving, but my hair shedding/thickness always stayed relatively the same. I used blow dryers and straightening irons every day, and my hair did absolutely fine. Better than fine, really :confused:

Then a few months ago, my hair dresser commented that she thought I was losing more hair than normal. No one else that I knew was noticing it and neither had I, but it would scare any of us. :p So I started taking omega-3 pills and a multivitamin (very low dosage. I'm planning to change what supplements I'm taking), turned into a health-food-nut, and started drinking around 50 oz of water a day. I even went off all the hair torture devices! The nails started getting better just a few days ago ;)

The problem is, even after all this, it seems like things have gotten worse. My scalp was dry, itchy, and flaking a lot, so I tried EVOO on my scalp and hair. Not only did it make my shedding worse, but it took me 6 days to get the oil out (never trying THAT again =(). Then I decided to switch off my old 'poo (SLS and SLES) for JASON's aloe 'poo. Before, my hair had been drying out quite a bit and getting wavy-curly, which wasn't such a bad thing (my hair is naturally very oily). Now my hair is heading back to oily and limp, though my scalp is still dry and itchy (not quite as flaky, but still bad).

I went to two doctors (regular and derm) and got a blood test from one and a "go get a dandruff shampoo" from the derm. Haven't gotten the blood test results back (praying for something to be wrong, sadly), but I don't really want to go out and get the shampoo the derm recommended. So if anyone here has some vitamin supplement advice, hair/scalp treatment advice, or anything else that might help, I would really appreciate it before I go out and start buying new things.

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well it sounds like you are doing all the right things so far. As for the oil, it is good for your hair but you may have better luck trying a lighter oil like jojoba or almond and starting with a small amount. My hair used to get VERY greasy for days after using oil but by using small amounts daily it got used to it and now it washed out just fine. You did not mention if you take suppliments like biotin or silica- both are excellent for hair and safe to take. Its good that you went to get a blood test but most blood tests (unless they are looking for something very specific) don't tell you much. You may very well be deficient in iron even if it dosen't show up on the test. I would reccomend taking an iron suppliment- I did and my hair health improved rapidly. Whatever you decide to do remember that suppliments, oiling and eating healthy all take time to show results. Even if you don't see improvements right away keep up your new healthy hair care and in a few months you will see a difference.

CricketSong
August 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't taken biotin or silica before, but I was considering picking a bottle of biotin up when I go look for some new vitamins. As for iron supplements, I've read that taking iron supplements without talking to a doctor first can be dangerous, so I think I'm doing to stick to just eating my veggies for now ;) My doctor went on maternity leave, so I can't get to her for a while.

Tiina
August 24th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Did the dermatologist test for dandruff or simply looked at your scalp, saw flakes and decided you need anti-dandruff shampoo? Dandruff is caused by fungus and flaky scalp doesn't necessarily mean fungus. Sorry if it sounded strange that I asked that but I've seen far too many doctors in my day who make the 'simple' diagnosis instead of the real diagnosis.

How often do you shampoo and do you do scalp massages, have you noticed any pimples, boils, a rash or something other of the sort on your scalp, are there areas which seem more sensitive than others?

hmmm
August 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but dry and flakey scalps are almost always fixed when I use some sort of oil as a pre-wash treatment. You don't have to use heavy oils like EVOO, coconut oil will do very well. It's helped my dandruff in the past as well.

ETA You may want to try mixing the oil with honey, to make it less oily. Honey is good for everything! :D

Marjolein
August 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM
It usually takes about 3 months for the effects of vitamins and stuff to kick in. You've said that you started this new regime only a few months back, perhaps this is why you don't see any good results yet?

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
@Tiina: You're right, she didn't really check. She just pulled apart my hair a little bit and dropped a diagnosis on it. I'm sure it's not a fungal problem since the flakes are all white, and I have to wash every day with this new shampoo (although I can sneak in a second day if I don't go outside :P). No pimples or rash that I've been able to find.

Anyway, I don't exactly do head massages. I'm one of those lucky people with really good control over the muscles in my scalp :P so I do scalp exercises instead 30 mins a day

@hmm: I'll check that out, although I have a bad feeling I've had an allergic reaction to coconuts before.. Maybe I'll try jojoba

@Marjolein: I think the vitamins should have kicked in by now, but maybe all the protein hasn't kicked in yet. I hope that's it.

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Edit (wish I could find the edit button:poot:): seems like my hair is breaking now.. Hope it's not the new shampoo causing it

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM
IIRC scritching with the proper type of comb works well on scalp troubles / regrowing hair?

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=CricketSong;1226545]Edit (wish I could find the edit button:poot:): seems like my hair is breaking now.. Hope it's not the new shampoo causing it[/QUOTE

There's methods to only wash the scalp parts and NOT the length.

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I've been applying only on the scalp and letting it wash down the length, if that's what you mean.

Unipeg
August 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Could be a hormone shift. Check your supplements for soybean oil. That can cause your hair to shed more . I had this happen to me. I bought another brand of supplement and they used soybean oil instead of safflower oil. I switched back and it made a big difference. check the omega3's sometimes its in those. Maybe that will help.

Arianwen
August 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I've been applying only on the scalp and letting it wash down the length, if that's what you mean.

Sort of, some people seem able to keep the length of their hair dry while shampooing!

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Sort of, some people seem able to keep the length of their hair dry while shampooing!

:confused: I want that kind of talent.

Soy bean oil, hmm? That's interesting, cause I just started eating soy nuts. I take it organic compressed soy bean oil is the same thing? :( too bad.. I might have to go off these

Unipeg
August 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The other thing that helped me with the itchies was baking soda and water on my scalp and than a vinegar rinse. I used a half a teaspoon of bs to a liter of water and worked it in to my scalp than rinsed it really well with water than rinsed with the vinegar and water mix. It can be drying to your hair so i covered my ends with conditioner first. My scalp loved it. It took away the itches. and I had tried everything else. Good Luck!

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'll try that, thanks

Unipeg
August 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Try giving up the soy nuts and see if you see a difference in how much shedding you have? It might take a few days for your hormones to settle back down before you see an change . But dont give up too some times it takes a bit.

Unipeg
August 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Anytime! let us know how it goes ?. If it works for you? And Hey! WELCOME!!!

CricketSong
August 24th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Thank you ;) I'll give it a week