PDA

View Full Version : When you oil your scalp do some of you...

wahmof9
August 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Shed horribly??? It does not matter the oil, I have tried tons...if I oil my scalp I shed very very badly...I lost 1/4 inch of my circ. before I realized I was shedding and why.

Tried again this week...and same thing....lots of hair in the drain and I mean lots.

Anyone else with this issue?

glossyshine
August 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for starting this thread; I also have scalp oiling questions. I've never done it, because I always believed the scalp made its own oils and it's bad to disturb them. But now I'm wondering if that's actually true.

Is oiling the scalp good for the hair? The shedding you're experiencing makes me think it isn't, but I don't know.

MandyBeth
August 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Yes and no.

If it makes you shed more, I've got to think it's not needed.

For me, got to oil. I had a PPD reaction/burn and it has damaged the oil glands on my scalp. My sebum is thick, chunky, nasty. It doesn't spread out for ANYTHING. I can pick it off my scalp in a glob. So I therefore strip it off daily with SLS shampoo, and then replace that with the oil that my scalp and hair needs which can change based on what else I'm doing to my hair. Removing cones and waxy agents means I need less in the summer. I know come winter, I'll use a good deal more.

glossyshine
August 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Yes and no.

If it makes you shed more, I've got to think it's not needed.

For me, got to oil. I had a PPD reaction/burn and it has damaged the oil glands on my scalp. My sebum is thick, chunky, nasty. It doesn't spread out for ANYTHING. I can pick it off my scalp in a glob. So I therefore strip it off daily with SLS shampoo, and then replace that with the oil that my scalp and hair needs which can change based on what else I'm doing to my hair. Removing cones and waxy agents means I need less in the summer. I know come winter, I'll use a good deal more.

Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear about your PPD reaction. Could you tell me more about it? I used to use semi-permanent dye on my grays, but now I'm a total henna convert, even though I never had any problems. Are the effects permanent? What was done to help you?

virgo75
August 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'm a "yes & no" person too.

I read on a forum for Indian women that the shedding decreases after the oiling and it's supposed to be normal.

I've found that when I do a heavy oiling so my hair is almost dripping and massage well, I shed a lot while I'm doing the massaging and can pull out anywhere from 10-30 hairs(I've actually counted them). But after I wash I tend not to shed for days. Or at least only shed like 1 or 2 hairs a day instead of my usual 10-20 a day.

Hope that helps. :flower:

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I also have to answer yes and no. I lightly oil daily with jojoba and/or coconut with virtually no shedding. I also oil my scalp with castor oil sometimes with little shedding. However, when I do a heavy oiling with warm coconut oil I shed a ton both while applying it and washing it out. Logic dictates that it has something to do with the heat and/or quantity of oil since small amounts of cold coconut oil does not cause shedding.

brunette
August 24th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I find I shed less between washes if I oil once or twice a week prior to a wash, but I often forget.
Those who massage and shed lots, what's your routine of washing, combing, brushing and massaging?
Also think about how you massage, you want to be gently pressing the skin and moving the scalp to improve blood circulation etc not rubbing the hair against the skin. I dab the oil on lightly then spend about a minute just relaxing with a short massage.

hmmm
August 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I sometimes shed a lot when I oil, but that's probably because I usually keep my hair up otherwise, and hardly ever even comb it... lol. I've never noticed a decrease in thickness.

I would say it's normal - it is for me, anyway. I do massage quite firmly, but that's how I've always done it and that's what feels good to me. I don't really mind a little extra shedding, because as I've said it isn't making me bald.

Messy Cook
August 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Thank you for this post, Wahmof9. This has been on my mind the past weeks.
To answer your question: Oh absolutely!!

I tried to massage my scalp once. ONCE!! About two weeks ago.
I was reading about how good it would be to encourage more hair growth and was thinking about making the massage a regular part of my hair routine.

I lost a lot of hair after I washed my hair, after the massage, and will not do it again.
I have lost hair over the years, mainly after my pregnancies, but also in the past years because of stress.
The hair I still do have is silky, shiny but still thin.
I felt it was finally increasing in thickness, especially closer to my scalp but I had a set back with the massage.
Don't even want to try to find the reason why.

Not.going.to.do.that.anymore!

Meli1980
August 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm glad I read this and was considering oiling my scalp. Not gonna now. Not that i feel it necessary just thought couldnt hurt. buy if it aint broke then no need to fix.

wahmof9
August 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Thank you for this post, Wahmof9. This has been on my mind the past weeks.
To answer your question: Oh absolutely!!

I tried to massage my scalp once. ONCE!! About two weeks ago.
I was reading about how good it would be to encourage more hair growth and was thinking about making the massage a regular part of my hair routine.

I lost a lot of hair after I washed my hair, after the massage, and will not do it again.
I have lost hair over the years, mainly after my pregnancies, but also in the past years because of stress.
The hair I still do have is silky, shiny but still thin.
I felt it was finally increasing in thickness, especially closer to my scalp but I had a set back with the massage.
Don't even want to try to find the reason why.

Not.going.to.do.that.anymore!

I undersand...I too was getting more thickness but then a decrease of 1/4 is huge on me and the sheeding is not just a few more hair but globs more....scary more and I oil but do not massage vigorously....I also massage without oil and do not have shedding like this.

I shed tons when I oil not when I massage

ChloeDharma
August 25th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Initially the oiling can cause a big shed but then if done regularly then the shedding should become less overall than it was before oiling. Also the type of oil can be a factor but that seems individual so needs trial and error.
My hair sheds alot for the first few oilings but if i maintain the routine then after a few months my hair becomes thicker.

Aquamarine
August 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Usually, oiling works great for me..I don't shed. But one time I used plain castor oil(without adding coconut oil or anything), massaged a bit and then let it sit overnight. I still remember when I showered in the morning, it took me forever to get the oil out and I shed like crazy!:disgust:

I use a mix of coconut and jojoba oils(sometimes I add rosemary/lavender EO just for the scent :D) and it works fine for me. Never noticed any thinning/shedding with this routine.

wahmof9
September 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Initially the oiling can cause a big shed but then if done regularly then the shedding should become less overall than it was before oiling. Also the type of oil can be a factor but that seems individual so needs trial and error.
My hair sheds alot for the first few oilings but if i maintain the routine then after a few months my hair becomes thicker.
which oils do you use?

lockswitoutkeys
September 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Well, I used to use coconut oil and always shedded like crazy. Then i used olive oil which was great and there was virtually no shedding but unfortunately, my black hair started turning brown-ish with olive oil. Now I use this Indian herbal oil and my hair's back to black =D
i guess people react differently to different oils.

Unofficial_Rose
September 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I've been oiling my scalp with bhringraj oil. Pretty sure it reduces shedding, because my ponytail circumference has gone from 2.5'' to 3.00'' in 6 months. Seeing as my hair's fine & thin, I'm over the moon.

Other than that I have never oiled my scalp, e.g. with coconut or olive oil. Co = major shed for me though, so maybe my scalp is fussy?

Flaxen
September 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
I had a huge shed (approx. 500 hairs) once when doing a pre-wash oiling with 50:50 castor oil:almond oil. It's supposed to be a similar mix to an ancient Egyptian anti-shed formula. :rolleyes:

I've had mixed results with coconut oil on my scalp. Plain coconut oil *can* cause me to shed, but it doesn't always. I also have an herb infused coconut oil that has never made me shed excessively. I'm sure I've put other oils on my scalp (probably jojoba), but I don't remember any shedding.

So, there you go. Just like like with everything else I've tried, there is no consistency. :laugh: