PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hair Texture

Barefoot5555
August 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I am in my late 40s, with shoulder length hair that has always had a natural wave. For whatever reasons (I suspect dieting and hormonal changes are at play here) - I now have two large sections of wire-ey, coarse, very frizzy hair. Each of these two sections is behind the ear, in the underlying sections of hair (not the outer layers of my hair style)

The rest of my hair remains relatively smooth and silky.

As I said, I believe these sections of hair have stemmed from some kind of underlying hormonal or diet situation - and not from damage due to heat styling, etc.

They are unsightly and I am embarrassed since the frizzy sections now stick out and are somewhat visible.

I have tried deep conditioners, protein treatments, etc. and these do not help with the texture at all.

I have considered a salon smoothing & straightening treatment, but suspect they will charge me for my whole head, when I really only have a problem with two sections of hair.

I know this sounds like an odd problem to have.

Are there any over the counter straightening or smoothing systems that might help me - OR - other ideas?

I really appreciate the help here.

BF

joyxo
August 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
I'm 16 and i have similar problem hairs scattered around my head, coarse with the strand varying in thickness.

I only thing i found to help was using Biosilk Silk therapy or some other serum and blowdrying then flatironing my hair
then some more biosilk

I try to embrace the freaky pieces now, because I don't like that much heat

I feel your pain though :(

HintOfMint
August 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
I am in my early 20's and I have two patches of the coarse, wirey, very rough hair. It just grows that way. I don't really have any styling advice other than taking a boar bristle brush and flat iron and straightening the bejeezus out of it. I have pretty thick, coarse hair, so the patches blend well without it. Are you sure they stand out so much on your hair? Sometimes we are our own worst critics.
My sympathies, though.

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
That sounds quite common actually. I see it a lot when I look at other people's hair. My mom is about your age and has the exact same problem. Luckily its not a terrible problem like thinning. She has had good luck with giovanni smoothing serum. I have very coarse hair all over and coconut oil has been a great long term fix for me. Using it over time my hair has gotten way more managable and smooth.

jennyjb
August 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Have you tried coconut oil on just the frizzy sections? My hair tends to be frizzy all over but particularly in the front where I have used straightening irons (trying to cut down on that but it isn't easy) and the oil seems to be helping.

For the longer term, some supplements might help if the cause is due to a dietary deficiency.

An up-do might help to disguise the problem areas (I think there are some that you can do with shoulder-length hair - this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54106) has some ideas)

I think salon straightening might be very harsh (would it be like perming in reverse?) and may make things worse in the long run, but I've never tried it so I can't be sure.

Barefoot5555
August 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

If I just "smooth and flatten" those two sections, it looks like I might be able to just use a flat iron on those sections, since the rest of my head is fine.

Now of course, I am worried about making the situation worse due to damage from a flat iron.

Any recommendations for a less damaging flat iron and any heat serums that protect the hair before flattening?

Thanks!

Barefoot5555
August 25th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Anyone? please...suggestions :)

spidermom
August 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have an area behind each ear that forms spiral curls, but they're the loose kind, so when my hair was shoulder length, they fluffed out like steel wool. The curl didn't form until I got to a length somewhere between armpit and bra band. Maybe that's what is going on with you.

LouLaLa
August 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Have you tried oiling these sections?

When I want to get my hair striaght and get any kinks out I just comb it very slowly with detangler and keep wetting it with detangler till ive basically air straightened it. This may not work if you have little time to spare but I find that if I watch tv and sit and comb it alot while damp you get a sort of straightener effect so long as you keep dampening with some sort of spray. Id also say EVOO this areas alot to help "weigh" those sections down more and combat frizz. I also smooth with my palm and if you do it enough you should get the kinks out.

Its a tough one but it should correct itself. I have straght hair and dye damage made my hair fuzzy but lots of SMT and oiling fixed it. Hair does what it pleases sometimes!

If you dont mind me asking so you dye your hair? As it could be grey coming through which has a coarser texture. Just an extra thought :)