PDA

View Full Version : Concerning your pictures of your hair, especially Renegrays...

merseaone
August 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
It seems to me that most of you don't like to have your pictures taken face first, but I was wondering .... do all of you, especially the Renegrays, have no bangs, part it down the middle? I am 5'4" and am chunky and I have bangs that I curl which makes me look a little taller and thinner, and sometimes I wear the bangs down and I feel I don't look good that way. Do any of you Renegrays or chunky gals like me just wear your hair one length with no bangs?

angelthadiva
August 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm a Renegray with pretty much one length, and no bangs and I wish someone would call me chunky :draw:

ETA: My natural part is off to the left, so I very rarely part it down the middle...Like never because it just doesn't lay right. I also wear my hair up. My usual, normal, everyday style is either a braid of some sort or a cinna bun HTH

ETAII: I don't show my face a lot because the forum is not private :eyebrows:

tigr
August 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
My hair isn't long enough to bun yet, but what I've been doing is, when I pull it back off my face, I don't pull it tightly back. I leave a little bit of pouf toward the front so that there is some hair framing my face. I think that when it's long enough to bun, I will use 3 barrettes/clips. One for the very top of my head, and one for each side - each with that bit of pouf. I tried wearing my hair like this with a pony, but the pony was ... not right. The front looked great, though!

I'm trying to avoid parting it. When I had my hair long before, I wore it parted slightly to the left and tucked behind my ears. It was sooo boring...

jeanniet
August 23rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have very long bangs (I guess you could call them bangs) that can be pulled into a bun or left out as whispies. I think I might look better with shorter bangs, but I can't stand having things hanging on my forehead and there's no point in having bangs that are always clipped back.

I think most of us don't show our faces in pictures for privacy reasons. :)

rusika1
August 23rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
I am so far beyond chunky...

No bangs. It's always either up or braided (or both), either combed straight back or parted in the center.

luxepiggy
August 23rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
well I'm not a renegray myself, but I will say that my mom ís 5'3 and was at one point in her life chunky. She used to have the short, curled-under bangs cut straight across, but now she has them cut in almost an upside-down U, so they're shortest in the center, and get sort of gradually longer towards the outside edges of her face where they become more like face-framing layers instead of bangs. She still curls them under a little bit, but not as much as before, just enough so they don't lie flat on her forehead.

I think the new style is more flattering than the old, and makes her look younger and more modern (^(oo)^)v

My aunt is a 4'11" renegray with waist length hair, and she wears long sideswept bangs.

restourceful
August 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
*raises hand* I'm a Renegray and I rarely leave full face pics up for more than a day or two. No bangs for me for many, many years. I have a natural right side part due to a cowlick which insists it be there and nowhere else. I have long layers with the shortest ones starting out at about chin length but are now below shoulder length. I never really looked right with bangs, though.

boomtownrat
August 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Like restourceful, I have a natural right side part because of a cowlick. I've tried to part in the middle with the Bettie Page style bangs when I had a bob, but it just didn't work for me because (a) the cowlick disagreed, (b) it looked like my actual hair was a wig, just not right, and (c) keeping them maintained was too much effort. When it was shoulder length, I had bangs that were about eyebrow length and that was OK, but again it was more effort than I wanted to keep putting into it. Right now I sort of have an angled piece that's not really bangs, just a tiny eyebrow-length lock that blends in with the rest but gives me a softer line.

My hair is very short, so I can't really do anything with it other than shoving it behind my ears at the moment.

I don't show my face in most pictures because I want to show off the new silvers growing in on top of my head. :)

Speckla
August 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
My best curls and length are seen from the back - that's why I'm faceless....well, you can see the tip of my nose now. :)

merseaone
August 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Like restourceful, I have a natural right side part because of a cowlick. I've tried to part in the middle with the Bettie Page style bangs when I had a bob, but it just didn't work for me because (a) the cowlick disagreed, (b) it looked like my actual hair was a wig, just not right, and (c) keeping them maintained was too much effort. When it was shoulder length, I had bangs that were about eyebrow length and that was OK, but again it was more effort than I wanted to keep putting into it. Right now I sort of have an angled piece that's not really bangs, just a tiny eyebrow-length lock that blends in with the rest but gives me a softer line.

My hair is very short, so I can't really do anything with it other than shoving it behind my ears at the moment.

I don't show my face in most pictures because I want to show off the new silvers growing in on top of my head. :)

I had a natural side part due to a cowlick too, but when I was a teenager, I parted my hair center and trained it to behave. Yep, it actually worked!

kitschy
August 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'm a renegrey, I'm chunky, and the best curls are seen from the back. I have sort of a long side-swept bang, but it makes kind of a frizzy face frame. Here is is

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6031&pictureid=78788

Aleria
August 23rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not a renegray, but I am "curvy" as I like to put it. I have sort of sweepy growing out bangs, usually parted to the left to show off my turquoise streaks, or to the right in order to hide them. Naturally though, it's in the middle sort of zig-zag due to scars on my head. You can see pictures here (http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/Kylarra_CatClaws/Cosplay 2010/) if you want (I'm the dark haired one). Just a note though, my hair is straightened in those. It looks fine with my natural wavy hair as well, but I don't have decent pics.
I'm into cosplay, so I have zero qualms about pictures with my face on the internet.

Honestwitness
August 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aleria, what's cosplay and why does it make you have zero qualms about having your face on the internet?

teela1978
August 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
I've always regretted bangs every time I've cut them. So I haven't had them in years. I'm renegraying (if I part it right its hard to see my many grays) and obese... I think I look just fine without bangs. I do occasionally start craving them, but thus far sticking to the 2-week rule before haircuts clears my insanity.
Here's it pulled back
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/DSCN2868.jpg
Here's it down, I usually side part
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/DSCN2478.jpg

SurprisingWoman
August 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
I left chunky behind quite some time ago. I haven't had bangs since 1993.

I wear mine parted on the right side most of the time but when it's back it's back.

I don't worry too much about whether or not my face looks fat. I figure it's like wearing a tshirt in the pool so people can't tell I am "chunky." Yeah, that's going to fool them. ;)

estherbeth
August 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Not a Renegray here, but I am a very chunky gal. LOL

I have an awful cowlick at the front of my hair, right over my eye. When I had bangs when I was little, that bit was always kicked up oddly in photos. It just makes a pretty kind of swoop on that side of the part in my hair without bangs, so I keep it all one length.

cmnt831
August 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'm a Renegray and I don't have bangs. I do, however, always have a halo of hair around the front and top of my head due to new growth, maybe some breakage and general wavy texture. I pull my hair straight back most of the time and it shows off the silver hair (front, back and sides) much better that way. :D I don't like showing my face because of privacy, but I think most people here are more interested in seeing the back of my head anyway. ;)

Pixna
August 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm a Renegray and I don't have bangs. I do, however, always have a halo of hair around the front and top of my head due to new growth, maybe some breakage and general wavy texture. I pull my hair straight back most of the time and it shows off the silver hair (front, back and sides) much better that way. :D I don't like showing my face because of privacy, but I think most people here are more interested in seeing the back of my head anyway. ;)

Ditto on pretty much everything you said! I wear my hair in a bun all the time (except when I sleep), so my silvers are quite visible. I'm not particularly chunky, but I really don't give any thought to how my "hair style" makes me look. I enjoy wearing it this way, so that's all that really matters to me. :smirk:

Angela_Rose
August 24th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I’m a baby Renegray, chunky (ha!), and sans bangs. My natural part is pretty much smack in the middle of my head, except for a little curve to the left at my forehead and a weird swirl at the back of my head, where the part veers to the right.
I’m usually okay posting face-bearing photos on here, but not most other places. It’s definitely way more common to see back-of-head photos on here, though, which is primarily due to that being the best way to show the most hair.

merseaone
August 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'm a renegrey, I'm chunky, and the best curls are seen from the back. I have sort of a long side-swept bang, but it makes kind of a frizzy face frame. Here is is

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6031&pictureid=78788

Looks good on you! I don't have curly hair... baby fine with a tiny bit of wave when it gets longer. The top is flat and has never been as thick as the back of the head. It isn't see through to the scalp thin but it definitely needs a pick-me-up!

andwife
August 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I am a renegray and I do not have bangs. I am full figured woman and I am 5'5. I will try and post a picture or link if I can figure out how and if it is allowed a I am still below 25 posts. If it screws up I apologize because I can't edit yet.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4938410492_6d537cd655.jpg

andwife
August 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
OH! It is layered which I want to grow out and the longest layer is between BSL and waist. Plus, I had styled it that morning with curuso curlers. Sorry, can't edit...

Elenna
August 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Retrograde renegray here! Bangs suit my face. Growing out the hair dye and then the silvers since 2007. Hair is at mid-back, hope to be at waist with another 3 inches. Finally, have nice ends, big milestone, nice ends! Chunky, oh yes, chunky, a bit, ok more than I like!!!! Sheesh!!!

nowxisxforever
August 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'm not a renegray but I'm short and chubby - I don't wear bangs. I haven't worn bangs since I was able to choose what happened to my hair.

Arianwen
August 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Renegray here. I'm 5'8.5:" (not sure what that has to do with bangs?) I don't have bangs as bangs with my hair type look hilarious...

eta: I'm a normal weight, though I have a biological reason for having put on 15lbs since May or so, I'll let you figure it out. :P

linda g
August 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm a chunky Renegray (sounds like the beginning of a cowboy song! lol) and I don't have bangs. My hair naturally parts to the side, though.

I try not to pull my hair too strictly back, and my natural wave helps me let it "pouf" a little bit.

I'm only 8 months into my Renegray journey...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4336&pictureid=79841

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm overweight and don't wear bangs or fringe. My hair is either pulled straight back from my face or kind of angled from one side or the other. I don't part it; really don't care for the look of a straight slash of scalp. I let it fall naturally into what people would probably call a crooked part. If my hair is down and gets too flat coming from one side, I'll lightly gel my fingertips and push it up and over the from the opposite side, which always gives a little lift to the top.

Othala
August 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Gray - tick
Chunky - tick
Part in the middle - tick
Height - 5 foot 3 inches
One length - tick
No bangs - tick

If you're forming a club based on the above, I'll join up, LOL.

Kelli Kat
August 29th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I'm way more than chunky, I have no bangs, its all one length. I always wear my hair up pulled tight. When I do occasionally wear it down I have a side part.

Arianwen
August 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm overweight and don't wear bangs or fringe. My hair is either pulled straight back from my face or kind of angled from one side or the other. I don't part it; really don't care for the look of a straight slash of scalp. I let it fall naturally into what people would probably call a crooked part. If my hair is down and gets too flat coming from one side, I'll lightly gel my fingertips and push it up and over the from the opposite side, which always gives a little lift to the top.

From your sig photo, you don't look like you have a bad weight prob, just sayin'. I also let my hair fall as it may. Once some hairdresser told me to "Train it" to part on one side instead of the middle...that did not last long.

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM
From your sig photo, you don't look like you have a bad weight prob, just sayin'. I also let my hair fall as it may. Once some hairdresser told me to "Train it" to part on one side instead of the middle...that did not last long.

I guess my big fluffy hair makes my butt look small.

swanns
August 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I just got a fringe a few days ago and am loving it :) You can see pictures of it in one of my albums. I'm both a Renegray (I know I'm young, but especially since I got the bangs my grays are really showing exceptionally well, and I love it!) and overweight, although I don't think the fringe makes me look any slimmer (not chunkier either, luckily).

rags
August 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm most definetly a Renegray, and chunky, and I have sideswept bangs I am growing out because I HATE them. I have a cowlick right in front and thought I could make them behave - nope! I also have the baby-fine hair, thinner on top too. I actually think the bangs make this look worse, as they take away some of the volume of my hair (hey, I need every strand! :p)

To clarify - I love the way my bangs look, but I hate having to fix them every day or they look horrible. I also end up with them clipped up half the time because I'm in the gym or outside. I need to be able to pull all of my hair back when I want to.

I don't have too many front-face pics on here because the mane forum is open. When I do post one, it's only in the Renegray thread and I take it down right afterwards. I think I have a couple in a private album though if you want to see. (Just friend me).

PrincessBob
August 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I am fabulously rounded and curvy, with a good deal of chunk here and there. I had bangs growing up, and disliked them immensely. I do occasionally leave down a portion of what would be bangs/fringe to frame my face, though, particularly when not wearing Pig-tailed Pride braids which often frame my face anyhow. My part is naturally centered, but when playing with up-dos I tend to part to the side and change it up every couple of days to minimize stress on any one area of scalp.

merseaone
August 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Here I am with poofy bangs and non-poofy bangs... with the poofy bangs I can go three days without having to CO, non-poofy - everyday.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=67418&albumid=4254&dl=1269280827&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=80880&albumid=4254&dl=1283121600&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=80879&albumid=4254&dl=1283121600&thumb=1

Debra83
August 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Here I am with poofy bangs and non-poofy bangs... with the poofy bangs I can go three days without having to CO, non-poofy - everyday.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5543886&id=651476884&ref=fbx_album

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3591940&id=651476884&ref=fbx_album

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5543886&id=651476884&ref=fbx_albumhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3591940&id=651476884&ref=fbx_album

I am having problems getting pics to show up so if you can't see the pics, check out the links. Sorry!

links won't work either. :(

boomtownrat
August 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I had a natural side part due to a cowlick too, but when I was a teenager, I parted my hair center and trained it to behave. Yep, it actually worked!

I could only ever get the cowlick to behave through blow-drying and I've never really liked doing that, even before I found out it damages hair. Mostly I'm just lazy. :)

Now that I've had it cut into a pixie, I'm going to try parting it on the opposite side because when it's short, I think it looks better that way.

Oh! I forgot about the other questions you had regarding height and chunkiness or lack thereof. Well, I'm 5'8" and I would say voluptuous, not chunky. I do feel like having short hair looks strange on me because of my curves, but I never thought bangs or no bangs were related. That's more of a face shape issue for me. I can get away with them if they're long enough, but short bangs look strange on me because I have a high forehead and short bangs just seem to accentuate that fact.

spidermom
August 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I think you would look just fine without the bangs.

restourceful
August 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I think you would look just fine without the bangs.

Me too. And, if you feel you really must have bangs, I hope you won't take this wrong, but I think the poofy bangs are aging and you look younger with the non-poofy bangs. Again, I mean no offense, just stating my opinion.

myrrhmaiden
August 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Bangs can actually make your face appear rounder.. For me this is definitely true. My face looks best with a center part, and straight down the sides style.

Nae
August 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Chiming in, I am a slightly overweight, Renegrey with a side or middle part (my hair can't seem to make up it's mind.) At any rate, I don't have bangs, mostly because they drive me crazy and I am never good on the upkeep.

andwife
August 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Gray - tick
Chunky - tick
Height - 5 foot 3 inches
One length - tick
No bangs - tick

I wish there was a "like" button on here...

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by Othala http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1233633#post1233633)
Gray - tick
Chunky - tick
Height - 5 foot 3 inches
One length - tick
No bangs - tick

I'd like to second you liking of this!

merseaone
August 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM
links won't work either. :(

Hmmm worked for me.

merseaone
August 30th, 2010, 06:24 AM
For the bangers: How often do you have to wash your hair?

The thing about the poofy hair is that I feel much more feminine. I like the old fashioned look.

Aleria
August 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Aleria, what's cosplay and why does it make you have zero qualms about having your face on the internet?
Sorry I missed this reply! My internet's been hazy lately. Cosplay is basically dressing up as your favourite characters, usually when going to conventions. Wikipedia has a decent article on it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay). Part of cosplaying is having your picture taken by other people at the convention, who then tend to post it online. The photos I linked to are of me cosplaying.

spidermom
August 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
For the bangers: How often do you have to wash your hair?

The thing about the poofy hair is that I feel much more feminine. I like the old fashioned look.

When I see poofy bangs, I think "80s", not "old fashioned".

enfys
August 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'm not a renegray or chunky, but my mum was (and is planning to grow her again this winter) and she didn't wear her hair in a fringe or parting, just straight back in a braid, bun or French twist.

I think I know why. Her hair is fairly coarse and the grey and black hair had different textures, so a fringe would give some of the hairs a chance to stick up like they want. Her hair is monster thick (I'm VERY envious) and I'm pretty sure is close to being too thick to part; even when it's down, even when she was in her 20s and wanted to be Cher, I have never seen it with a parting that showed her scalp IYKWIM.

I don't have a fringe or parting either because I have a widows peak that bothers me with both! I have trained my parting out so that it's actually hard to part now.

rusika1
August 30th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othala http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1233633#post1233633)
Gray - tick
Chunky - tick
Height - 5 foot 3 inches
One length - tick
No bangs - tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwife http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1234205#post1234205)

I'd like to second you liking of this!

So, we need a Chunky Gray One Length group? No bangs, no layers, no dyes, no diets?

andwife
August 31st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:

So, we need a Chunky Gray One Length group? No bangs, no layers, no dyes, no diets?

I think that is an "like"! Although, here recently I thought it would really be lame to croak with healthy, "no dye" hair and clogged arteries and maybe I should make a change. :eek: