PDA

View Full Version : Hair Feels Softer In a Braid

trillcat
August 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
This is so odd, I have noticed this since I went bleach blonde again.
My hair will feel a bit crispy, dry when down, but as soon as I put it in a braid, it is the softest hair ever.
It is so strange, like a magic trick. Hair down, dry and needing a consh. Braid, super slippy and soft.
Does anyone else have this, or has my hair just taken on a life of it's own in an attempt to confuse the heck out of me?

spidermom
August 23rd, 2010, 01:21 PM
No pictures of the new blonde?

As for the question, I just don't know. My braids usually feel all bristly to me (completely the opposite of soft and silky) from all the shorter hairs sticking out.

Heidi_234
August 23rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
My hair does that. Maybe it picks moisture from the hands when you braid it? Or smoothing it out for a braid help the moisture and oil distribute better?

little_cherry
August 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I've noticed this, too. :) I guess moisture doesn't easlily escape hair while it is in a braid of bun.

Yozhik
August 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
If I oil my hair, it looks really lank while down, but in a braid it looks smooth and put together. I know that's not exactly answering your observation . . . but that's when I've noticed my braid being really soft. Just like Spidermom, though, my tassel is usually pretty bristly.

Cheeks1206
August 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I wish mine felt nice and smooth! Instead, my braided hair just feels fuzzy.

trillcat
August 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
No pictures of the new blonde?

As for the question, I just don't know. My braids usually feel all bristly to me (completely the opposite of soft and silky) from all the shorter hairs sticking out.
Arg, I know, no pics of me on my home page bonde, now a bit darker blonde from the BLONDE! It's not new! I am so lazy

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
My Plaits do that as well. Maybe it's because of the way that the hair is lying?? But the Tassle at the end is my hair's normal Texture and feel ?

Coffeebug
August 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM
My braid does that when I've just done it, but it's kind of like when Homer Simpson has a shave - it's all perfect for a nano-second and then hair pops out everywhere LOL!

BrightEyes7
August 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
yeah... I'll braid my hair and it'll feel all soft and smooth so I think it'll be like that if I take the braid out... not so much!

Anje
August 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I've heard of similar things from people who bun their hair when it's damp and let it dry bunned. I know mine will be drier if I leave it down for the day, as opposed to wearing it up. But if it magically transforms between drying loose and braiding dry, I suspect your hair's picked up an interesting trick.

paperwhite
August 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know why this happens, either, but my hair behaves similarly when damp-bunned. When I let it air dry down, it lays strangely, but if I let it dry in a bun or braid it ends up nice and smooth and shiny :) For me, I think the texture's partially to blame. I have straight hair, but not pin-straight. I think allowing it to dry in a bun encourages some waves and wurls to come out.

constantki
August 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
My hair also feels softer in a braid. When it is down, it never feels as nice to the touch.

eiwonob
August 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
That happens to me! And now I take benefit from it: damp braiding is making my hair softer and nicer than ever. :)

schweedie
August 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I haven't noticed all of my hair being softer, but my ends definitely tend to feel softer and silkier when my hair is braided. I can't leave them alone, they feel so nice!

Sammich
August 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I've been wondering the same, it's very strange, my hair feels so smooth and silky after I take my hair out of a braid, or even in a braid! :p (Though if I feel the sticky outy parts that itches me and is rough as heck. :p )