PDA

View Full Version : Crazy hairs on my head - Pics Included

ncgal25
August 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hi. This is my 1st post. Im so happy I found this forum. Ive just started the journey to healthy hair! Ive spent the last 7 years box coloring my hair & using mediocre hair products! I had given up on my hair & resorted to the easiest & cheapest styling products - No more!!!! I want healthy hair!

:confused:I need some advice: After clicking on the photos below, Im wondering if anyone can tell me what all these crazy hairs on my head are? Is it frizz/breakage/split ends/ overuse of thinning shears?:eek:

Ive tried some serums/gels on it & nothing Ive used will sleek it down?

I have stick straight brunette + Gray hair.
Up til now I was coloring with semi-permenant color (Herbal Instincts). Not the best I know! Ive committed to no color until I get my hair healthy again!

My last hair cut was 3 1/2 months ago.
My last color was about 3 weeks ago.

Suggestions/help appreciated! Thank you soo much!

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2682/20100821211850img004822.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3927/20100821211916img004832.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2178/20100821211939img004842.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2752/img00469201008191311.jpg

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've got shorter hairs sticking out throughout my length. It can't be helped. Old hairs shed out, new hairs grow in; it happens every day. Plus there's probably some breakage as well, for you as well as for me.

Jenn of Pence
August 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly, but they look a bit like new hairs. Typically, if the ends of them taper, it's likely that they are new ones that have never been cut. My new growth is a little crazy and sticks out a lot, so maybe ours behave similarly. ;)

twilight_faerie
August 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I have no advice, but I wanted to say that I get these too. Are your "crazy hairs" more coarse and wiry then your regular hairs? Mine are, but the weird thing is that mine aren't coarse all the way through - the coarseness changes every few millimeters. It's really strange.

Teazel
August 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Sometimes the cheapest products are the best, so don't dismiss them yet. :wink:

Might your squiggly hairs be due to the fact that you're greying? Many people find that their silvers are quite a different texture to their pigmented hair - more wiry.

Back_To_Basics
August 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Don't feel bad I have them as well. I'm glad I'm not along.
I hate when they stick up straight.
When a new gray/white hair comes shining through it makes
way straight up like it's shooting for the stars.
Well they say to aim high glad my gray hair is doing just that:)

christine1989
August 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Looks like good ol' fashioned frizz to me (probobly made worse with thinning shears). I used to get hairs like that all the time when I heat styled. You could try coconut or some other oil to hydrate them and help smooth them down. You should also examine the ends carefully to check for splits and trim them off if you find any. If they are not split at the ends then regular moisturizing should improve them over time.

sugarpixie10988
August 22nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
My hair type is similar to yours and I get those too. What causes it for me is humidity, my hair has been a frizz ball lately. Coconut oil works wonders! I also sometimes use Kimberlily's Defrizz spray sometimes, works pretty well :). http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

adiapalic
August 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
My mama's hair looks exactly the same as yours. She colors hers also. In fact, your color is very close to hers as well... right down to lighter shaded strands that are probably whites or light grays that when colored, seem to appear to be naturally highlighted.

Since she has grayed, her hair texture has changed to become more course and wavy. She has many hairs that act wildly--especially in humidity, and won't smooth down. It's just a variation in hair texture that happens to some people with maturing. I don't think it's a result of damage at all.

I rather love how her hair looks. Yours looks beautiful as well. :flower:

PS: She only colors her roots when gray comes in, and with impermanent dye. It sticks really well, and her hair has maintained really good health. Her hair is thicker and grows faster than mine. I've often wondered what she'd look like without color ;) she's pretty deadset on coloring though, hehe.

ncgal25
August 23rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Wow thanks all the replies! Ive been so frustrated by my hair for years & its now time for acceptance! boo hiss!

My goal is to avoid heat & color products at least until it looks healthier. Im not sure if that going to be possibly considering I look like a hot mess if I dont use a flat iron on it. My ends are sooo frizzy even with frizz serum?

Thanks to everyone who replied! Ill try some of the suggestions & keep ya posted on my healthy hair journey!

Jenn of Pence
August 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
It's going to be tough, but I found that, for me, just three weeks or so after quitting the straightener, my hair stopped freaking out and actually calmed down. I think it's a vicious cycle...you straighten a bit to smooth and shape, but the heat damages it a bit, causing it to stick out more, causing you to straighten it down again, causing more damage which require even more heat to try to make it look decent... But you can break the cycle! It takes patience, though, but keep your eyes on the goal and plan on some ponytails or whatever it takes to keep the hot mess off your mind. In the meantime, conditioning and being nice to it will help it get over the initial shock.

1953Diygal
August 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Dianyla, one of our mods, calls those "hair pubes." She actually plucked some and took them to her doctor and the doctor speculated that they might be due to hormonal changes.

ncgal25
August 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Pubic hair on my head - Wow my day just went from bad to worse :p LOL

For some reason the stylist that cuts my hair never wants to give me a definitive diagnosis of my hair & believe me I ask - Im all about the details. Im glad ya'all are here to help!!

Thanks again for all the replies!

x0h_bother
August 24th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I call them mutant hairs...when I used to pull my hair they grew back in thick and wirey like that and stuck out, and I also have some damage on my canopy that is similarly thick and curly. What I do is smooth them with serum and also twist my canopy, and they for the most part behave. If I see a stray I will tuck it under other layers of hair. I agree with the advice not to flat iron them, it will only roughen up the hair more and make it stick out.

Coffeebug
August 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hahaha I have a few of them... they love to tangle together if they possibly can!

Tennessee Rose
August 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Check this out! And get ready to panic...

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9864/crispy.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5360/crispy2.jpg

I have not manipulated my hair in any way this is how it looks today. Though I have to admit I haven't combed it yet.
Well in fact it is not that about. I think what you have is the same as me...short hairs growing. Hair doesn't grow the same per "hole" so it is normal to find shorter hairs it doesn't mean they are broken or whatever. They are flying free because they weight less and if your hair is frizzy as well it is a plus to have a short hair party.

Don't worry, what I'm going to say is what I do and works for me.

1. Use a wooden comb it avoids static electricity

2. Always use a conditioner (mine is non cone)

3. Air dry

4. Keep your hair mosturized

Although if you live in a wet climate the short hair party has more possibilities to take place (as it happens to me) but anyway time after time and doing this things I can control my hair pretty good.

Meli1980
August 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
It may natural change of texture of graying OR it may be a bit of damage to the cuticles from the chemicals. Think of cuticles on hair as shingles on a roof and sometimes damage from chemicals 'break' them making them lose its natural shape so to speak.

irishlady
August 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Welcome!
First of all, your hair is so lovely and shiny!
The little bits just look like regrowth to me, I have the same thing with my hair, which is annoying, but can't be helped.
One comfort is that it means it is growing!

MissCoco
August 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, it's new growth/regrowth, but I find heavy oilings, honey (practically the best thing for me) and BBB's really help to tame them. Also, have you tried clarifying? Hair is particularly soft and smooth after a baking soda wash, as well as an ACV rinse, so the shorter growth hairs stay down and blend with rest more.

AgnesONutter
August 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I do have those too. Annoying as it is, it is rather easy to tone down.

First of all, I would suggest getting a wooden comb and a non-static brush (Body Shop makes a wonderful paddle brush that I love). This will help to smooth and calm.

Something like a little bit of leave-in conditioner rubbed between your palms and then smoothed down the length might help you too.

mneh
August 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hi. This is my 1st post. Im so happy I found this forum. Ive just started the journey to healthy hair! Ive spent the last 7 years box coloring my hair & using mediocre hair products! I had given up on my hair & resorted to the easiest & cheapest styling products - No more!!!! I want healthy hair!

:confused:I need some advice: After clicking on the photos below, Im wondering if anyone can tell me what all these crazy hairs on my head are? Is it frizz/breakage/split ends/ overuse of thinning shears?:eek:

Ive tried some serums/gels on it & nothing Ive used will sleek it down?

I have stick straight brunette + Gray hair.
Up til now I was coloring with semi-permenant color (Herbal Instincts). Not the best I know! Ive committed to no color until I get my hair healthy again!

My last hair cut was 3 1/2 months ago.
My last color was about 3 weeks ago.

Suggestions/help appreciated! Thank you soo much!

Hello, since I stopped straightening and heat styling my hair, and colouring it with synthetic dyes, I've noticed those little frizzy hairs on my canopy too. I control them with conditioner-only washing (with a little baking soda added to the conditioner), and a little aloe vera gel, or jojoba oil, smoothed on my hair.

I also find that a moisture treatment once or twice a week really helps (I use snowymoon's SMT http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128).

Since giving up synthetic hair dye, I now colour my hair with Logona Herbal Colours and I find that the powder version of the Logona products really conditions my hair and gives those frizzy hairs some weight so they sit flatter.