PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find baking soda in France...

MissCoco
August 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM

countryhopper
August 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Not sure if this helps or not, but I found baking soda in the toothpaste aisle in Mexico :) I'd try asking a shop clerk to help you. Things can be displayed in the weirdest places!

redkdawg
August 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
sorry if this sounds obvious, but have you tried looking in the baking goods section of a grocery? (that's where I find it here in the US)

Djinmonet
August 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
From what I understand it's called "bicarbonate de soude alimentaire" in french, and is sold in the baking sections.

Djinmonet
August 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Edit *sorry I can't edit above post*: think it might just be "bicarbonate de soude" and the other is what is called baking powder, which you don't use in the same way.

Roseate
August 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
I've also seen it labeled "bicarbonate alimentaire"

I guess it's not as commonly used in baking in France, so it can be hard to find. It's usually with the salt, but you can also ask for it at a pharmacy, they sell it there.

anilov
August 23rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
In some European countries it is sold in small packages, in the spice section.

Morgaine
August 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
You can find baking soda in most local stores in France, it is called "bicarbonate de soude alimentaire" or "bicarbonate de sodium" or even "bicarbonate alimentaire".
It is often found near the salt, or else try the spices section.
I found some at "intermarché", "carrefour" and "leclerc", so I guess you might have one of those not to far from where you live.
Mine looks like that : bicarbonate. (http://www.encyclopedie-gratuite.fr/Definition/illustration/bicarbonate.jpg)

I never found any clarifying shampoo either. Maybe it comes under an other name too :confused:

Gilly
August 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM
I am no help whatsoever but its also called bicarbonate of soda, I have found it in baking isles, jam making isles.
Just don't use baking powder, it has flour in it, I'm sure I don't need to tell you how nasty that could be!!

Katze
August 23rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
here in Germany it is also not so widespread, and usually found either in bigger stores, or at Christmastime, in the spice section. here it is called 'Natron'

A friend was telling me she gets hers cheaper at the pharmacy (Apotheke here). There is also baking soda sold especially for cleaning (I think it is meant for washing, but I use it to scour my sink and deodorize the dishwasher).

slz
August 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
You should be able to find it at any grocery store at the salt section as it has already been said. Will come in small packages, sometimes spreading bottle like salt. Ask the staff for "bicarbonate de soude" if you can't find it. If you want a larger package, you'll need to go to a "droguerie" (old style shop not very common anymore) or simply order it at a "pharmacie" (where you can order any pure chemical compound you need).
As for clarifying shampoo : pick any low quality shampoo you want, it has to include SLS and no special ingredients, nothing with any fancy property like "for dry hair" , for this and that, repairs or what not. Just plain cheap shampoo. In fact you just want a detergent and nothing more added.

MissCoco
August 23rd, 2010, 06:16 AM

MissCoco
August 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to say I went grocery shopping today and I looked in the salt section, which I had never done before, and there was only one box of 'bicarbonate' left! I was so happy, I washed my hair right when I got home and the results were fantastic! :D It also works great on skin, so yay for baking soda! :cheese: