PDA

View Full Version : Hair Crack Treatment

angelthadiva
March 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not exactly sure on the measurements, because I just eyeball everything. I put the ingredients in the order of greatest to least.

The recipe below is enough (depending on your length) for several treatments. This mixture is very thin. I've tried several methods for application, the best one I've found it to apply the mixture w/a small squrit bottle similar to what is used in boxed hair color. I end up using about 1/2 of a bottle that size for my hair...Which is nearly Classic Length currently. I top off the remainder of the squirt bottle after use (so I'm ready for the next time). I then store the unused portion of the treatment in the refrigerator in a large sports type bottle with a lid and warm under hot water prior to use.

I braid my hair into an English braid, and apply it to my hair over the bath tub. I completely saturate my entire head, and cover with a shower cap. I've left it on for as long as 6 hours and the shortest time was about an hour. Personally, I've found that the longer you leave it on, the better it works.

I have been using this once a week faithfully for about 3 months now. The thicker/coarser/curlier the hair is the better this will work. This treatment is not meant for fine/thin hair. You will end up looking like a grease ball. (FYI).

I most recently used the treatment as a styling gel, slicking my hair back into a ponytail and styled in a braided bun on a wash day...I kept my hair up in the style while the treatment was doing it's thing, and washed it out later. The results were absolutely fantastic! :D

I've had a handful of friends try it out as a test panel and have tweaked the formula to what the treatment currently is below:

coconut milk (one can)
shea butter (one small bottle)
EVOO
coconut oil
jojoba oil
carrot and tea tree oil
grape seed oil
avacado oil
honey
molasses
Apple cider vinegar
water

nappywomyn
March 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oooh, that sounds yummy!!
Hrrrm - the ingredients are almost like the Caramel Treatment - except for the addition of coconut milk and the subtraction of banana....

How big is your bottle of shea butter, and how much of the oils are you using? Have you considered adding pectin/cornstarch to make it a little thicker?

angelthadiva
March 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Oooh, that sounds yummy!!
Hrrrm - the ingredients are almost like the Caramel Treatment - except for the addition of coconut milk and the subtraction of banana....

How big is your bottle of shea butter, and how much of the oils are you using? Have you considered adding pectin/cornstarch to make it a little thicker?

The smell is not bad, I've actually grown used to it!

The ingredients are quite similar to Caramel Treatment, but I'm not one for putting food in my hair...Yes, coconut milk, carrot and tea tree oil and avacado oil and minus the banana and it's close to the same...It's hard to say how much oils, but I try for equal amounts of each, maybe about 2-3T.

The bottle is about the diameter of a half dollar (US), and about 4-5" tall. It's quite small, but was very pricey.

I have thought of adding a thickening agent, but I was unsure of what to use. I didn't want it to alter the treatment adversely. HTH :flower:

Dianyla
March 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Oh damn. I thought this was going to be a thread about brazilian waxing. :lol:

/slinks back to the TMI group

darkwaves
March 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM

/slinks back to the TMI group I wondered about that, too -- and the treatment? before, during or after?

longhairedfairy
March 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Dumb question... Why's it called that?

1953Diygal
March 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Quoting Jayne Mansfield in The Girl Can't Help It: "Dirty mind, dirty mind..." :p

/slinks back to the TMI group

Dianyla
March 11th, 2008, 11:40 PM
+1 Jayne Mansfield!!!

Quoting Jayne Mansfield in The Girl Can't Help It: "Dirty mind, dirty mind..." :p

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
longhairedfairy - if i remember correctly it is because ones hair likes it so much you or it is addicted to useing it.

angelthadiva
March 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
longhairedfairy - if i remember correctly it is because ones hair likes it so much you or it is addicted to useing it.

You girls are bad! Yes, to answer your ??, that is the reason for the name! My hair is addicted to it, like crack (the drug) not body part!

longhairedfairy
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
LOL! Thanks for the answers:) Ya'll are hilarious.

AmandaPanda
March 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I was wondering what "hair crack" was supposed to mean since this was posted, but I was afraid to ask lol. I was trying to picture cracks going through hair :wannabe:

angelthadiva
March 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You guys are crazy! LOL!!!

Patrycja
March 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
hahahahaha@Hair Crack assumptions...

thanx for this anglethadiva I might try something similar to it but I am going to cut out the molasses.I have all the other oils..except Grapeseed and Avacado.Darn,I'll have to go shopping this weekend to try it.Oh well,gives me a excuse :)

I'm doing a SMT tomorrow night for the first time,so I'll try this in two weeks.Gives me enough time to prepare for it.:flowers:

longhairedfairy
March 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I was wondering what "hair crack" was supposed to mean since this was posted, but I was afraid to ask lol. I was trying to picture cracks going through hair :wannabe:

My curiosity outweighs my shame every time!:p

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
LOL!! I thought of crack the drug when I first read it but I figured there was no way it could mean that. Too funny!

jel
March 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM
LOL, I completely got the crack thing - what does it say about me? :silly:

I'm slightly worried that this treatment would be too much for my hair (though it's not fine any more, thanks to henna), as I didn't have the best results with the caramel treatment either. I might just try small amounts.

Angelthadiva, do you wash it out with shampoo and follow with conditioner? CO? Just rinse well?

gunjee
March 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I would think coconut milk goes bad left out, and once you add water to honey, bacteria breed like crazy, so it would make sense to put in the fridge, but then wouldn't it solidify? I have never left coconut milk in the fridge before, I use some and then straight to the freezer, so of course it solidifies. But mixed with the other oils, and water and honey, maybe it doesn't. How long does this mixture keep?

-Shilpa

angelthadiva
March 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Angelthadiva, do you wash it out with shampoo and follow with conditioner? CO? Just rinse well?

Yes, I wash it out. I do my regular CWC routine.

I would think coconut milk goes bad left out, and once you add water to honey, bacteria breed like crazy, so it would make sense to put in the fridge, but then wouldn't it solidify? I have never left coconut milk in the fridge before, I use some and then straight to the freezer, so of course it solidifies. But mixed with the other oils, and water and honey, maybe it doesn't. How long does this mixture keep?

-Shilpa

I have found coconut milk DOES go bad if it is opened and left in the refrig (even if it's covered)...I have not found that it's gone bad when added to the mixture.

Yes, the mixture does solidify; in the refrigerator, that's why I warm it up under hot tap water prior to using it.

I've been making it for like 3 months, and I make a lot at once...Like enough for a month of treatments (but I'm using it and so are my friends, I mean "test group")...I haven't had it go bad...As a matter of fact one friend, did NOT refrigerate the bottle (left it under her sink for 1.5 months)...I was worried that it HAD gone bad, but she said it was fine and it worked fine. I hope that answers your questions. :flower:

"Test Group" is agreeing w/the thickening agent suggestion...I agree, but have no idea what to use. I'm open to questions and suggestions! :flowers: :D