PDA

View Full Version : Everywhere I look- short hair!!

Mariah!!
August 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Okay I love short hair on certain people. I just don't love it on me. I have noticed that I only know.... 2 people with hair as long as mine and mine is I think waist or almost waist length. One of them is my best friend and she lives hours and hours away from me. The other is a girl from church but I barely even know her name. I take it back.... I know 2 others with hair just past my hair as well. Again, I don't know them that well. The thing is, every where I look everyone and I mean EVERYONE seems to have hair from chin to just past shoulder length hair! I like the cut on most of the people, but I NEVER EEEEVVVEEERRR get compliments on my hair.:boohoo: Not on the length, not on the style (unless I do a very difficult updo and most of the time, still not even then) not on the health or shine of my hair.... whatever. But people will compliment other peeps hair with short hair all the time. It seems nobody even has BSL hair where I live either. All my friends tell me I should cut my hair and I get so sad! :sad even my husband says I look better with a lot of layers and BSL hair... but why does NOBODY support long hair anymore?! When people find out I come on here... they laugh at me. :oops: My mom gave me some advice. She said that my friends all have bad taste for loving short hair and that why would I want them to like my hair if they have bad taste? :rolleyes: I am not even thinking about wanting to cut it, but I wish that everyone or at least SOMEONE would like my hair! *In a whiney voice* Especially my husband!:wail:

Am I the only one experiencing this?!:confused:

Mariah!!
August 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Actually I told my BFF this the other day and she said "Maybe you look bad with long hair and nobody knows how to tell you?" (she is the one that is hours away from me and never sees my hair) I am working on adding photos to my album right now so I will try to have them up in the next hour or so that way you can see my hair too.:D

Copasetic
August 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't know very many people who like long (meaning waist length or longer) hair. Most of my friends find long hair terribly uncomfortable, so they keep theirs short.

It doesn't bother me. I don't think people should (or shouldn't) like long hair.

JulietCapulet
August 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well, I hope you don't cut your hair. It doesn't matter whether people compliment or not, just keep your hair.:)

StormiDoodle
August 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
I only know two people with hair longer than mine, and only a handful with longer than BSL. Luckily, I have several friends who compliment my hair, so I don't feel bad about being the odd one out.

silverjen
August 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
You love your hair, that's the most important thing!

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
I couldn't find any pictures, but try not to worry about it. I don't get many comments on my hair, either, so when I do it's extra super-duper special. A friend of my son who hadn't seen me in a long time recently had fits over how gorgeous my long hair is, so that's enough to carry me through for awhile.

(wishing you a compliment that will carry you through soon :magic:)

eezepeeze
August 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
I rarely get compliments either, but I know it looks good because when I do get them, it's always from other longhairs. I think it takes one to know one, you know what I mean? Only a fellow longhair can truly appreciate how much effort goes into taking care of your hair, keeping healthy, and learning new ways to do it.

WyrdWay
August 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have the second longest hair in my department at work :( The woman with the longest hair has hair just past waist, it was been longer, she trims every now and then. But she was brought up Pentecostal Holiness, and I think that and being a busy mother are the reason she keeps her hair long.

It only matters how you feel about your hair, and your HB should LOVE your hair however YOU LOVE IT. He can prefer it however he wants but should love it however you want it because that is what makes you happy. It is a part of you, its not like you guys are disagreeing about what to eat for breakfast :)
I hope your BFF told you that jokingly.
*hugs*

dropinthebucket
August 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
wow, that's weird you're noticing all this short hair - suddenly, everyone here has LONG hair! i can't figure it out, i was only off work one year - where did they get it all? does their hair all grow really fast? (i know i'm a slow grower, but .....) And did they all just decide one day, at the same time, like the Midwich children in Village of the Damned???

don't worry, your hair is very trendy elsewhere! :D even if it weren't, of course, i know you know it wouldn't matter - but it's nice to hear it! :)

MandyBeth
August 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Here short hair is breaking out. My not long hair is more and more the longest. HS kids even are having chin length or so.

Dreams_in_Pink
August 22nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a tough exam to test your dedication to your hair :)

We might feel in need for someone to assure us we're doing the right thing but we might not always get the feedback we want. I can relate to your situation because my mom, who's also my best friend and no. 1 supporter, NEVER agrees to anything related to LHC hair care (except for bleaching and heat damage). So i just stopped telling her about the things i do :)

When we need to hear something positive, we can always ask fellow LHCers :) we're sure they will appreciate our long and healthy hair ;)

jennyjb
August 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
I only know two people who have hair that's about the same length as mine: my sister and my brother! I don't get many comments either, but I wear it up or braided most of the time when I'm out.

invisiblebabe
August 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
I saw your pictures and I like your hair!

squiggyflop
August 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
hmmm well i dont know a single person in real life with hair as long as mine..
maybe its because your hair is still short? (um short compared to mine that is).. i didnt start getting the compliments until i was hip length.. now when i wear my hair down i get tsunamis of compliments..

looked at your pics.. i think the reason no one compliments on the length is because its not really out of the ordinary.. its not especially long yet.. people usually compliment on either a sudden change or something that very very special..

i hope i didnt sound harsh.. i really like your texture and your hair is very pretty..
i think that when you reach your goal of 35 inches you will get the compliments you deserve for your hard work.. right now try to hang in there.. :flowers:

Squeak toy
August 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
I see the same thing around me, everyone having and liking short hair. It is sad that your husband does not like your hair. I personally love long natural hair and find most short hair unhealthy. I think long hair is an underappreciated talent that some people have.

Mariah!!
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Isn't that just the craziest thing? When I was in middle school everyone seemed to have longer hair! Well I love my hair.

sneakybea
August 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
I actually kind of like it that my hair is longer than most people I see on a daily basis. It makes me stand out and, as long as I'm not hopelessly out of date, I don't mind if I'm not exactly trendy. As for your friends and husband's comments about your hair, a. I don't know what they're talking about, because your hair looks lovely to me (and I bet you'd look good in a wide array of styles--you have that kind of a face) and b. you're the one who has to be comfortable with your hair and, to me, people never look as "good" if they're not. It's like when somebody who only likes to wear jeans is suddenly put into a dress. It might be the most flattering outfit she has even worn, but if she's uncomfortable in it and it doesn't suit her style, she still won't look as good to me. So you really have to go with what makes you happy, and try not to worry too much what the others think.

sally_neuf
August 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Here, everywhere I look is long hair.. BSL-waist are the most common lenghts but I have seen classic and tight at the streets, fried, dyed, well cared, and almost everyone use it straight. Actually is kind of discouraging this way because I fell so blah right now at this lenght and everyone used to love my red pixie. now is just.. whatever not short enough to be interesting, not long enough to be admired.

So I'm learning as many updos as I can, because they're rarem and people do compliment that. Enjoy that "feeling special" thing you got with your long hair, because it is beautifl, I'd love to have hair like yours , you know! :D and if you'd like people telling you, try some others dos' that will catch their attention !

good luck, don't feel discouraged please!

tigr
August 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
I just peeked at your album. I think your hair is beautiful.

Styles change. Tastes change. This year's hot style is next year's hair oops. The only thing that matters here is your personal style and taste. Because it's *your* hair. Wear it however makes you happy.

christine1989
August 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I love your long hair! It looks amazing in your avatar. People are probobly secretly envying your hair and you don't even know it.

AstrayStar
August 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I also just looked at your pics - your hair is gorgeous :)

chelseamichelle
August 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Oh I know how you feel, the ONLY compliments I get on my hair are from people on LHC. Everyone I know is constantly reminding me how much better people look when their hair is cut to frame their face.. NOBODY ever says they like my hair, and so I don't ever expect anyone to compliment me anymore. I have come to accept that my hair is only for me and I might be the only one who likes it. :shrug:

joyxo
August 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
I barely know anyone that has waist length hair, maybe one or two girls.
I find that a lot of older people, like grandparents, are way more appreciative of long hair and compliment mine all the time

You'd think people our age would love longer hair considering so many celebrities have super long hair! (Megan Fox, Kim K, Miley, Vanessa Hudgens, ect.)

Qwerty Uiop
August 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I don't get compliments on my hair either.

My next door neighbour (a married guy) has the most incredible, healthy head of thick, silky straight hair that's at least tailbone and maybe even classic (he usually wears it in a braid, caterpillar, or messy bun when I see him since I usually only see him when he's working in the yard or riding a bike) but I've never complimented him on his hair. I'd be afraid he'd think I was hitting on him or that I hated long hair on guys and was being sarcastic.

Caldonia Sun
August 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I think your hair is beautiful. It looks shiny and healthy.

Mariah!!
August 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I was trying to quote more than one person and reply, but I cant figure it out. Well thank you everyone for making my day better! My dad loves long hair and has the impression that the longer the hair, the cuddlier the woman. lol! I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't get compliments. I love looking through all the albums on here and admiring peoples hair! I love long hair and have wanted LONG thick hair since before kindergarten! Actually I have always been so fond of it that my mom thought I was a lesbian up until 9th grade just cause I never talked about boys in front of her and cause I openly admired long hair on women! Silly mom! I was just embarrased to talk about boys cause I was shy and wasn't allowed to date yet! But yeah I will meet my goal. I actually had hair down to where I could sit on it in kindergarten but my aunt cut it to shoulder cause of all the split ends! My mom was mad!

Thanks for all the compliments! :)

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
There's very little long hair where I live. BSL is long and most of it is heavily layered. I wish I'd see more long hair because I love seeing it. Almost no one compliments my hair and that's OK. I don't get negative comments either but I do know that 2 women friends have said something to the effect of "what does she want that long hair for" to someone else. And that someone else told me. I know that neither woman likes her own hair long :shrug: Never talk about LHC to real life people. Most people would never understand wanting long hair let alone coming on line and participating in a forum on it. It's something that's best kept to yourself. The few times I've said something I've called LHC an on line health and beauty forum. If you enjoy long hair and want yours long you may have to realize it could be a solitary endeavor other than coming here. I'm cool with that. I don't have a need to share it. I wouldn't mind, but I don't have a need for it. I don't share my hair adventures with my husband. I don't have a clue what he thinks of my hair and I don't care to ask. What I'm saying is some things are for you and only you.

Capybara
August 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Firstly, I want to echo the others who said your hair is beautiful - thick, shiny, and well cared for! I really like the up-dos in your album :)

Secondly, even if everyone around you has short hair, it doesn't mean that your hair is any less attractive. Same as if everyone had long hair, and there was one person with short hair. You have a beautiful face and hair and a sweet personality. Don't worry what others think about you :flower:

Smile4Kiki
August 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
You're hair is gorgeous! And your goal is what mine is except you're a lot closer to it than I am. At this point everyone's hair seems to be longer than mine since I'm only now grazing shoulder length but mine looks a heck of a lot healthier than most of the people I know (especially since all my friends flatiron, blow dry and chemical dye). I don't really see many people past bsl though and its definitely hip+ hair that is much more rare and striking to see. As far as mentioning this site I mostly keep it to myself (although my DBF and siblings found out and playfully tease me about it).

HikerTrash
August 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I don't know why you don't get compliments. You are a very beautiful young woman.

I actually prefer not to get any comments on my appearance at all. I've never been beautiful and the only comments I ever received when I was young were horrible and mean. So I prefer that people do not consider my appearance at all. I don't even like it if people tell me I'm beautiful. My hair is long because I like it that way, not because I want anybody to say anything about it. But that's just me.

DragonLady
August 23rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
I don't know why you don't get compliments. You are a very beautiful young woman.

I actually prefer not to get any comments on my appearance at all. I've never been beautiful and the only comments I ever received when I was young were horrible and mean. So I prefer that people do not consider my appearance at all. I don't even like it if people tell me I'm beautiful. My hair is long because I like it that way, not because I want anybody to say anything about it. But that's just me.

I'm sorry you went through that. Kids can be really, really mean. I hope with time you are able to accept compliments when you get them, and that you get them often.

Joliebaby
August 23rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Your hair is so beautiful, as are you. Your hair will be even more gorgeous when it gets longer, so please don't get any urges to cut on behalf of other people. It wall may that the compliments come when you hair gets longer.. or if they don't you can just chalk that up to jealousy, or not knowing what to say/how to react to such different hair!! The most important thing is that YOU like it. It's a part of you. And your husband should love it too!!

luxepiggy
August 23rd, 2010, 05:46 AM
I just checked out your profile, and I'm beginning to suspect you live in a community of people with poor eyesight. Perhaps you should send your husband for an eye examination? ( ' (oo) ' )

Your hair is gorgeous! Maybe you should come visit piggy in San Francisco, I guarantee you will get enough compliments to last you for a year! (^(oo)^)v

Mexibeach
August 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
I got compliments on my hair when it was long, not one when I cut it. All I seem to notice are people with long hair - likely cuz I want mine long again so badly that all I am going to notice and be envious of are the people with long hair. :confused:

Phexlyn
August 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
First of all, you don't look bad with long hair, you are really pretty and so is your hair! :grouphug:

It's pretty normal not to get too many compliments on long hair, I think (at least I don't get many in RL either), because people usually recognise changes more than things staying the same... thats why the short cuts get more compliments, you get to change them more often, or you colour them more often.
I know it's really hard to enjoy your hair when you feel all people you know don't like it, but after all, your hair is for you, so if you want long hair then keep it.

I hope you get some compliments soon, though, they just really help to get through such a phase :)