PDA

View Full Version : hair typing and self trimming curly hair advice

vdhendrix
August 22nd, 2010, 03:47 AM
my bf has curly hair and hasn't had a trim in two years,and wants to trim off his split ends, but he wont go to the hair dresser because he is afraid they will cut off to much of his hair, so he wants me to trim his hair for him. but i have only ever trimmed straight hair before and have no idea how to trim curly hair, and i dont want to mess it up. so could some of you curlys that self trim tell me what you do? should i wet his hair or leave it dry or straighten it before i trim it? his hair is shoulder length curly and between apl and bsl when streched out. also could you help me hair type it?
thank you

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/vdhendrix13/user23214_pic80022_1282467555.jpg[/IMG]

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/vdhendrix13/user23214_pic80021_1282467555.jpg

im thinking its either 2c or 3a

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
you should better cut it dry, just take separate curls and cut off the split ends - you will be able to see how much you need to cut and you won't cut too much this way. and while cutting make sure you give it even form - right side is more or less same length as the left etc

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM
It's somewhere there in the 2c to 3a range. Probably more 2c but it's hard to tell.

I trim my own hair using Feye's Self Trim method. I usually do the straight across (blunt hemline) trim. I usually trim it dry, but it doesn't have to be dry. Most important is to brush/comb is out throughoutfully. So nothing special here. Though this only takes care of the very ends, and splits that are further up remain untouched.

My suggestion is to do this strand twisting trim (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146) for the splits and them finish it off with evening out the hemline with Feye's method.

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:05 AM
im thinking its either 2c or 3adid he brush his hair between washing and taking these pictures? cause if he did it's impossible to tell what hairtype is his 3a or 3b, now this looks like 3a to me

Most important is to brush/comb is out throughoutfully.don't do that with curly hair! this does not work for curly! why brush or comb it if you are not even supposed to brush and comb curly hair!

the trick is that with curly hair you don't have to have dead even ends or layers! you have to cut separate curls! give it some shape by this, curls will ruin any straight lines cut in brushed/combed/wet hair!

vdhendrix
August 22nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
no this is his hair air dryed without brushing

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
don't do that with curly hair! this does not work for curly! why brush or comb it if you are not even supposed to brush and comb curly hair!
Because you want fairly even hemline. If you cut separately curls, next time you wash and airdry your hair, it will form in different curls, using hairs from different 'curls' you've cut before, making it stringy and very uneven. The guys' hair is not-curly enough to show such unevenness.

I'm giving advice from first hand experience. I have curly hair, which resembles his in texture, and that's how I do it. Personally, I won't risk it, and leave the dry cutting separate curls methods to the professional specifically trained hair stylists. So far, twisting+Feye's gave me best results both in eliminating split ends and improving the way my hemline looks. You don't have to covert to do it my way.

vdhendrix
August 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Because you want fairly even hemline. If you cut separately curls, next time you wash and airdry your hair, it will form in different curls, using hairs from different 'curls' you've cut before, making it stringy and very uneven. The guys' hair is not-curly enough to show such unevenness.

I'm giving advice from first hand experience.
I have curly hair, which resembles his in texture, and that's how I do it. Personally, I won't risk it, and leave the dry cutting separate curls methods to the professional specifically trained hair stylists. So far, twisting+Feye's gave me best results both in eliminating split ends and improving the way my hemline looks. You don't have to covert to do it my way.

your hair does actually look alot like his lol

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry I have curly hair too and from what I see in the pictures my hair is much more similar to yours, Heidi_234, than yours is similar to vdhendrix's BF. and I am giving advice from first hand experience either. I cut my hair the way I described and it's AN ILLUSION that hair will fall in different curls! the very point of cutting curly hair the way I described IS in creating curls of certain length SO THAT NEXT TIME YOU WASH CURLS ARE FORMED - in a way you cut them! why? because hairs that are located nearby and are of the same length STICK TOGETHER.

eta:
and you do not need even hemline you need to create nice SHAPE

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
My hair is a bit less curly. The hair stylist has always combed it straight down and nipped off the ends, except back when I had layers, at which time she combed out from my head at about a 45-degree angle.

Djinmonet
August 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm going to vote to cut it dry, after a wash, before sleeping, windy outdoors, etc.
I trim a teenagers hair that looks to be the same type. I just cut while we are both standing (same height), or both sitting, so I can see exactly where I'm cutting, and no need to actually touch/brush/comb, anything, the hair ends.

Her curls seems to curl the same everytime, I guess, as this produces, and keeps, the even hem-line she wants.

Now the S&D... is a whole other headache, as she used to flat-iron. :thud:So we wait for a really, really, good, long conversation, and good lighting. I work on the back, til my hands are tired, she does the bottom length she can see.

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry I have curly hair too and from what I see in the pictures my hair is much more similar to yours, Heidi_234, than yours is similar to vdhendrix's BF. and I am giving advice from first hand experience either. I cut my hair the way I described and it's AN ILLUSION that hair will fall in different curls! the very point of cutting curly hair the way I described IS in creating curls of certain length SO THAT NEXT TIME YOU WASH CURLS ARE FORMED - in a way you cut them! why? because hairs that are located nearby and are of the same length STICK TOGETHER.

eta:
and you do not need even hemline you need to create nice SHAPE
I know for a fact that my hair doesn't do that, which I know for a fact. I have shoulder length locks that once were my ends. The rest of my hair is beyond waist length. Yet every time I wash, the former bangs hair not just divides differently, but also joins much longer hairs and creates this weird curl that starts off thick and then in the middle it suddenly thins to nothing and goes on in this stringy weird fashion.

Even within the same hairtype, different heads of hair behave differently, and different things work for different people. There's no rule as to how to do something - some things work for some people, and others for other. I don't say that cutting each curl separately is wrong, I said it's easier to mess up and I'd leave it to a professional. I have a right to present my opinions, share experience and give my advice. Since there's no right or wrong, you don't have to dispute me this way.

PeonyGarden
August 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
I would try to find a balance between these two styles. I have very curly hair (3b/3c) and to style my curls, I usually cut my hair dry. I also believe that your hair curls much the same way every time you wash your hair.

That being said, I do a dusting by blunt cutting my hair every once in a while, mostly to get rid of layers, and to make sure the curls aren't too uneven in length (i.e. more than 1 inch), because if the length difference is too great, I do tend to see the 'wispy end' syndrome.

Here's what I propose: Cut his hair in a two step, first, wet his hair and gently comb it, and then do a blunt cut to get rid of the majority of the damage, and help even out any layers. Then, wait for his hair to air dry naturally. If you see any curls that look like they need a trim, then trim them! The best spot to cut a curl in is in the middle of the 'S' shape, or halfway around the curve. This way you get a balance - the majority of the damage is off, and you get the control he wants over the finished/dry style.

Personally, I also advocate against brushing his hair when dry, I find it tends to weaken my curly hair and cause it to break. It also ruins the natural curl formation. I prefer to comb my hair well in the shower, letting the water run over it to smooth it into place. When I get out, I flip my head back and forth a few times to let the curls break up naturally on my back - I find it's much less stringy then if I finger comb after I'm out of the shower. Then apply product and let air dry! You can fluff the curls out a little later on if you find you want more volume.

Not totally sure if this was what you were looking for, but hopefully it helps. :)

UltraBella
August 23rd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Well, all the cutting I deal with is in my salon, but I do have a super curly haired stylist who specializes in cutting curly hair. People rave about her understanding of curly hair since she deals with it on a daily basis herself. She always cuts curly hair wet, never dry. She washes it, detangles with a wide toothed comb until the hair is 100% tangle free and then combs it straight or angles it depending on if the client wants layers. There is a method of cutting individual curls, but it really does not work for all curly heads of hair, so you have to be very careful.