PDA

View Full Version : No curls on ends?

Tovah
August 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere already. I have been allowing my hair to curl on its own and it appears that it is quite curly. Someday I'll get it together to take and post a picture. It is now just about APL. I love the curls and everyone says that my hair looks great down and wild...especially my husband.

The issue is that the last couple of inches of my hair hardly curls at all so it looks kind of weird. If I cut this off will the new hemline curl or will I just be losing length with shorter non-curly ends? And....is there anything else I can do about it?

I know a photo would help...sorry.

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2010, 04:10 AM
The ends could be damaged. Curly hair, when damaged, tends to curl less. Do they have chemical dye in them? Bleaching? Any kind of chemical processing, even the mildest, after a long while can lead to curl loss. So maybe a trim would help.

If no - could it be build up? Build up can make curls lose their definition as well. Simple clarifying should take care of that.

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Curly hair, when damaged, tends to curl less.
wow, I need to get my hair damaged right now!

no, seriously, Tovah, I've been reading a lot on how hair can change its type and go from straight to curly (well, those are extremes but it can change at least a bit) - so maybe you hair used to be less curly and got curlier later. which means trimming off the ends will result in having fully curly mane

julliams
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
I agree with Heidi. My hair goes straight when I have too much build up in my hair. I clarify and it goes back to being curly. However I am finding that it is going straight at the moment (and I have just clarified) and I'm wondering if it's just getting long as I'm now past BSL. Time will tell.

Try clarifying and see if that fixes the problem.

Heidi_234
August 22nd, 2010, 05:32 AM
wow, I need to get my hair damaged right now!

Ah, it also tends to frizz and be out of control more. I put bleach streaks in my hair, they sure give me enough grief in that aspect. I wouldn't recommend. :nono:

Tovah
August 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I used to blow dry very hot every day when it was chin length. I do use chemical dyes but I changed hairdressers and now am using something with no peroxide and no ammonia. So it could very well be damage.

I try to stay away from cones, but they sneak in there every once in a while (cunning critters that they are with all those promises they make) so I don't think that build up is necessarily the issue. I'll get a clarifying shampoo today and see if there's any difference. I haven't trimmed my hair in 14 months and honestly I am now afraid to. A three inch chop seems drastic, but that is what I would have to do.

Will post photos before I try to rectify.
It will be a learning experience for me and anyone else who has this issue.

Thank you everyone.

Oksana
August 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
I have noticed that the top layer of my hair curls in ringlets yet the underneath is only wavy...strange

Deelight
August 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
My hair looked similar to what you are describing and I cut off the straight ends. You can see before & after pictures in my photo album. The ends continued to be straight for almost another year until I trimmed again and now my hair is uniformly curly. I really think it was just damage. I used to blowdry and straighten chemically treated hair several times a week if not daily.