PDA

View Full Version : Retire your ruler for 90 days!

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
I though it would be a fun idea to start a challenge for all of the measure-holics here on LHC. I have decided to put away my beloved ruler and measuring tape for 3 months and stop obsessing about length for a while. Who's with me? :)

Barniie
August 21st, 2010, 11:05 PM
I am!!! I'm also doing a thing where I wear my hair up for as long as I can before looking at it down :) Seems to be going well!

Coriander
August 21st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Would we get one more measure-in for September or are we cut off from here? :lol:

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM
I can't see any harm in a last measure in. The end of this month will be my last. I'm determined not to measure until the end of November. Hopefully not stressing about growth will make it grow more. :)

Coriander
August 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Ok, I'm in. I'll be too focused on school anyways for the next 90 days. Heck, I might just go 120 days until the New Year. :D

One more measurement for September then nothing more until January. I think I can do this. I'll have DBF hide the measuring tape.

Cupofmilk
August 22nd, 2010, 02:16 AM
I am up for this. I do need to measure in Septenber as I last measured in June. The reason I do this is because I do think unless you have very straight hair it can be hard to get an accurate result month by month. I also think your hair grows in fits and starts and so one month you may get no growth and be really depressed and then get an inch the next month.

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 03:35 AM
[offtopic] wow, Coriander, those are some awesome braids you got!

sorry guys, cant do that :shrug: I don't measure it that often and I don't need to - I can feel the length when I wash it in shower, I just can't help it - I can feel it

alwayssmiling
August 22nd, 2010, 03:52 AM
I'll join in. I'm a daily measurer, but since I cut 1.5" off, I've decided not to measure so much. 90 days I will have my length back and hopefully it will look much neater. I think my family will be glad of the break too, I've noticed a few rolled eyes when I come downstairs with my tape measure.

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
wow, DAILY? do you get any results daily? O.o

alwayssmiling
August 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Weirdly enough, I go a fortnight with absolutely zilch, and then almost over night I will gain 1/4 of an inch. It could be down to our measuring of course, but my sometimes just feels a bit longer overnight, like I have short bursts of growth :).

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
my sometimes just feels a bit longer overnight like I have short bursts of growth
wow! you know I've been experiencing that too! I thought I was just imagining things

Fiordiligi
August 22nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Good idea - I am definitely up for this! It shouldn't be too hard as I never ever measured my hair until about two months ago, but I'd better hide the tape-measure just in case. :)

KittyLost
August 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'm in! Putting down my measuring tape on the 31st August and will not measure again untill 1st December!

I don't think that's quite 90days but close enough ;)

I plan to start taking a photo of my growth progress once every two months to see how much difference an inch a month really makes, is that still okay?

Capybara
August 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'll do this :) I don't measure that often, maybe I will add in checking the length as little as possible over the next three months as well. I'll check back in November :D

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
I'm in. I blazed the trail for this, having quit measuring and getting a picture taken once every 3 months at the change of season.

MissManda
August 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
I don't measure the length of my hair, because I know the suspense would kill me. Ha ha. But I DO measure my ponytail circumference a lot. I do it to reassure myself that my hair is not "thin" even though it definitely is not because it seems that is what most people label straight hair, no matter the texture/type, as and it drives me bonkers. I think it would be a good idea for me to put my measuring devices away because I shouldn't have to rely on numbers to reassure myself. I'll start with one month to see how that goes first, but I would like to not measure for at least a few months.

This is a great thread! :D :cheese:

WyrdWay
August 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
I'm in!

I'm always stretching my curls down my back to see it I've made it past my bra strap! >< And my DH is getting annoyed :(

Coriander
August 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you, Mariika. :D

Measuring for me has become a bit of a "OMG I need to know NOW" thing... DBF knows that when I shower on the first day of the month that he's going to be getting the comb, measuring tape, and a big "Plllleeeeeaassseee?" :lol:

I think a few months of absolute ignorance will help my growth. And my sanity. :)

jackiesjottings
August 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
I wonder if I can manage to resist.. if I don't measure for three months I should be oh so close to classic.....

constantki
August 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I love the idea of this, sometimes I feel like my hair is taking over my life! Last night I had a dream about having terrible splits and having to chop it all off. xD
I think if I do this, I am going to add some incentive to get work done: I will not measure my hair until I can manage to get my licence! I am not eligible for testing until December anyway, and this way hopefully I will spend my time worrying about something other than the length of my hair for once!

Synthemesc
August 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Count me in, just did my last measure and pic until 1st december. It scares me how obsessed I've become with checking growth. :P

christine1989
August 30th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I locked my precious ruler up and decided not to even measure for September. I'm just going to rely on my monthly pictures. Afterall, the point of growth is to be able to see it by looking at your hair not a measuring tape right? :)

dreamsofnorns
September 4th, 2010, 12:22 AM
this is a really good idea. I was trying to figure out how often I should measure my hair without going crazy. I'll be doing it every three months now :)

Oksana
September 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm in! I've just started a 100 day work placement so I will be much to busy to worry about my hair, and think of how rewarding it will be to have 3x the progress when you next measure :D

deko
September 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm in!

September measure is 70 cm.

I will measure again next year, but I'll have to trim a bit meantime so I'm waiting 71-72 cm lenght in January.

eamane
September 4th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Well I gave my meassuring tape a vacation on Aug 1st already :) and I decided to not use it before Yule at least, probably at New Years! Also, I'm keeping my hair in updo's just to not be tempted :P

Fiordiligi
September 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I said I was in a while ago, but I waited till September 1st to measure. 21 inches - growing nicely. I will report back at the beginning of December. And really, really *must* hide the tape-measure now...

KittyLost
September 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Why is it when you tell yourself you can't do something you automatically what to do it :P

Haha, but my measuring tape is staying hidden!

Capybara
October 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Why is it when you tell yourself you can't do something you automatically what to do it :P

Haha, but my measuring tape is staying hidden!

Me too. I want to measure, but eh.. It'll be worth it in the end. Over a month down already woo!

KittyLost
November 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
21days and I can measure my hair again :) I'm a little nervous! I want there to see some progress from the measuring tape but I'm convinced I haven't gained much.

Capybara
November 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Checking in after 3 months! I didn't think that I'd be able to hold out for the entire 90 days, but I did :D only problem is, I measured and got 38 inches, then measured again and got 36.75, then again and got 37.5, then 38 again...
I'll have to wait until after I wash tomorrow to get an accurate measurement :) How is everyone else holding out?

KittyLost
November 23rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
7days then I can measure, and see how much growth I've gained since September.

Blueneko
November 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
I am with you, though I retired my measuring tape about a year+ ago. Having a newborn (now toddler) makes benign negligence so easy to achieve. No time!

Coriander
November 23rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
I measure in January. I decided on 120 days. lol

princessp
November 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I am so proud of all of you! I wish I could do this because at this point I really need to stop obsessing. But I'm just not sure I can make it. I haven't read through the whole thread. How did you stop yourself from measuring for that long? I might be able to do one month...geesh I just realized how pathetic that is. :)

Capybara
November 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Not pathetic at all, princessp :) A month is a good start. At first, I wasn't sure I could do it, but one week went by, then two, then before I knew it the entire 3 months were over. It's liberating, not concentrating on length all the time.

christine1989
November 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I just measured my hair on Thanksgiving and was pleasently suprised that it grew an inch and a half :). Since I trimmed twice in October I expected it to be shorter but it actually grew a decent amount.

Fiordiligi
December 1st, 2010, 04:24 AM
I said I was in a while ago, but I waited till September 1st to measure. 21 inches - growing nicely. I will report back at the beginning of December. And really, really *must* hide the tape-measure now...

I've actually done three calendar months, not ninety days. Two inches growth, including a very tiny trim, so I'm really pleased, and I made it to APL a month before I thought I would!!! :happydance:

jasper
December 1st, 2010, 04:42 AM
I didn't sign up for the challenge, but I haven't measured or taken a length photo since my LHC year anniversary in August. I have been thinking about it lately, but I am almost scared to check now!

princessp
December 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM
Not pathetic at all, princessp :) A month is a good start. At first, I wasn't sure I could do it, but one week went by, then two, then before I knew it the entire 3 months were over. It's liberating, not concentrating on length all the time.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. :flower:

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Well I measured yesterday at 30" and I am obsessed with measuring so will try and hold out until 1st march 2011, if thats ok.

Misha
December 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Great idea - I'm in too! I used to measure often, but then got tired of it, at about 26 inches or so (with just the periodical measure). Now I'm at 29 inches and cannot believe that is my length!!!! :crush:

So I'll join you too jojo and try to not measure until March 1 also. My gosh, by then I may be around waist -seriously WOW.

thatjengirl1
December 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hey i know this was posted in August, but i'm going to do this now :) I just got a trim and i dont want to trim it again until June 2011. I can't wait to see how much it grows. i am hoping at least 3inches. I'm not going to measure my hair until March 1st to see how much it's grown from now til then..it's December 1st now, so lets see how it grows til March 1st! :cheer:

KittyLost
December 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
I measured today for the first time since the 30th August and I've gained 2inches :)

jojo
December 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Great idea - I'm in too! I used to measure often, but then got tired of it, at about 26 inches or so (with just the periodical measure). Now I'm at 29 inches and cannot believe that is my length!!!! :crush:

So I'll join you too jojo and try to not measure until March 1 also. My gosh, by then I may be around waist -seriously WOW.

Cool a no measure buddy! we are similar in inches too, whats waist on you in inches, i must have a short waist as mine is only 30" i am hoping to be half way to hip length, up and away until then, good luck xx

Misha
December 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cool a no measure buddy! we are similar in inches too, whats waist on you in inches, i must have a short waist as mine is only 30" i am hoping to be half way to hip length, up and away until then, good luck xx

:beercheer:

Well waist on me is about 30.5 or so, but I am factoring in my usual winter growth stall, and a little trim that will be needed. So I'll be thrilled to reach waist (the longest I have ever been). If I don't stall, and only dust trim, then I'll be longer than waist too (I'm almost afraid to say that in case I jinx it :lala:)!

:)

Capybara
December 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I've decided to join this challenge again :) It's been great for taking my mind off my hair!

I finally got a decent length measurement, with confirmation from DS. My hair is now 38 1/4 inches. I am delighted!

So, no measuring for me until March 6th. Let's hope for some growth!

Good luck everyone! :cheer:

crazy_margaret
January 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM
So I decided yesterday to join this challenge... and now ALL I want to do is measure! haha April 4th seems SOOO far away!

Theobroma
January 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I'm in. Last measurement was on 1 Jan, next one will be 1 April. Got to do SOMETHING to counteract the length obsession, and measuring on a daily basis isn't going to make it grow any faster, now is it? :D

Capybara
March 13th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well, my 90 days+ are up.

Aaaaand ...

I went from almost classic length to bsl. Right now, I'm about an inch past the bottom of my bra strap. Considering I cut up to a bit above bsl in December, I'm pretty happy with where I m at now.

Plus, I've been feeling super good about my hair lately. I haven't been combing it much at all, just finger combing, and I find it really brings out my waves.

Anways, how is everyone doing in this challenge? :)

ingvild
March 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Well, since I have joined the Ignore Your Hair thread, I might as well join this one as well, not measure my hair until the summer holidays (june 10-ish). Last I measured my hair it was 25,6 inches. BSL is 27,2 inches, so let's see if I can make it! Either way, when summer is finally here it will be easy to forget about hair for 2-ish months :p

SarahBeth
March 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I'll join in. I'm already part of the "no trims in 2011" club, so maybe the more I ignore my hair, the better off it will be. So 90 days from now is about the third week of June. I'll just wait until July 1st to be sure. Measured a few days ago at 23". Let's see what 90 days can do.;)

Seharia
March 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm definitely joining in I've been measuring way too often (umm once a week... not sure how much I thought it would grow in that amount of time but...) I'm at 22 inches so hopefully at least 23.5 by around June 20th. :)

ooo
March 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm so in this challenge. Won't measure till the end of the year.

TheBluffs
April 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm joing this thread! I've done measureing weekly when I joined LHC.. Hehe, a little obsesed.
Ignoring my hair will help with being paintent.

gthlvrmx
April 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'm in. I blazed the trail for this, having quit measuring and getting a picture taken once every 3 months at the change of season.
I am thinking of doing this, every three months or every new season. I think i will choose every new season for my own benfits.
I will just measure in June for Summer.
It's not exactly 90 days, but it's something. :) Is that ok?

anniebelle
April 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joining! I normally only measure every 6-8 weeks anyway. Looking for a good bit of growth! ;)

Mountaingrrl
April 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
This sounds like a healthy way for me to get over my last haircut. I'm in!

Rocket22
April 23rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'm in too... I'll not measure until end of July! I can do that :)....... (I think)

crazy_margaret
July 26th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I had such great success with this last time... I will do it again! Today I was at 25.5" Hopefully I will be at 27 in 90 days :)

luthein
July 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'll surrender the ruler on my circumference. That's my measuring downfall.

Capybara
September 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM
It's been about 5 months since I checked in. My hair is inching closer and closer to waist, and I think the no trimming/benign neglect is paying off.

How is everyone else doing with their goals?

see_turtle
September 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
I am joining this challenge. I obsessively check my hair in the back using two mirrors. We're talking 15 times a day. I will NOT check my length in the mirror ( or measure though I do that far far less often ~twice a month) until December of 2011!

Becky Safari
September 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM
I recently remeasured after 90 days traveling, and gained 2.5 inches! Time for a trim though..

cnd0020
December 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Anybody up for the "Retire your Ruler" challenge again?

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'll do this beginning January!! Just want to measure Jan 1st, one more month, to see how much I gained... so I can average it. Then I'll retire for 2 months. Maybe even more!

Mountaingrrl
December 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm in again - no measuring until March!

Capybara
December 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I am! I'm always up for this - it's been one of the most helpful things for me to do :)

I've officially claimed waist. It has been about 3 months since I checked in (post above), and I'm super happy with my hair. Just need to sort out some scalp issues, but other than that, it's growin' just fine.

How is everyone else doing?

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

Well, since I have joined the Ignore Your Hair thread, I might as well join this one as well, not measure my hair until the summer holidays (june 10-ish).

I have never figured out how you are supposed to ignore your hair? It takes too much care and maintenance.

I am joining this challenge. I obsessively check my hair in the back using two mirrors. We're talking 15 times a day. I will NOT check my length in the mirror ( or measure though I do that far far less often ~twice a month) until December of 2011!

I do this, too. Well, not 15 times a day, but several times a week. If I am wearing it down that day, it is just about every time I pass a mirror. I hate it but it is like I can't NOT turn my head and look. My problem is, is that my hair only feels about waist length to me, so seeing it at TBL in a mirror is always a surprise. ROFL.

I really NEED to do this challenge. I measure my hair once a week, every time I wash it AND wear it down the same day, which is usually once a week or less. I "officially" measure it once a month, pretty much since I joined TLHC. I have been quite obsessed with it lately, knowing my hair growth has slowed and even completely stalled one month. But it seems to be back to its normal 1/2" per month and I would like to stop thinking about it.

I have tried to do the wear-your-hair-up for X days/months challenge. I never make it past one month. I always coupled that challenge with not measuring and failed.

My goal date is April 1st, my last measure was about Thanksgiving-ish at 38.5". I am wanting to reclaim Classic since my trim in October. April 1st won't get me there, but it is my TLHC anniversary. It's 122 days from Dec 1st. Since I can't remember the last time I measured exactly, I will just count from there.

jesis
December 6th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I'm in! March it is!

moon2dove
December 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm definitely in!!

I got obsessive about measuring my hair, so I gave myself a goal of not measuring again until December 22nd. So this would be good for me as it gives me another goal to aim for :)

Chamy
December 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM
sure, im with you! :)

A. Correira
December 6th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I am!!! I'm also doing a thing where I wear my hair up for as long as I can before looking at it down :) Seems to be going well!

I have been doing the same thing! I won't allow myself to see my hair down. I love the idea because I get so sad when I see that my hair isn't the length that I want....:(

And I want to do this challenge. Before I joined LHC I was so into measuring my hair and keeping track of it. But it think that I am not obsessing so much about length now because I want healthy hair for when it gets to the length that I want. Plus I hear that healthy hair grows the fastest. ;)

WaitingSoLong
December 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Today was wash day and I did not measure and didn't even care. It is liberating.

I am also retiring my scale for awhile. I am an obsessive weigh-er.

CurlyMopTop
December 7th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I'm in. I wouldn't say that I've become totally obsessed, but normally I measure once or twice a month at least (partly to figure out what my growth rate is). This time of year I get too busy anyway. :D So, no measuring for me until at least March 7, 2012! ;)

arcane
December 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I measured this morning for the last time for 3 months. My hair is currently sitting at 26.5" I check it like every day, several times a day, and I need to stop. I'm going to post a post it note in the bathroom to remind me not to check and the day that I can check on it.

CurlyMopTop
March 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
OOPS! Looks like I was 1 day early! I'm bumping this thread because my 90 days is up (close enough). I now only have another inch to go to get to where I was before the big trim I did in the beginning of November. Yeah! :D I'm at 24.5 inches.

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
If you'd said one month or even two I'd be on board no problem. I'm not sure I'll make it to three, not because I obsessively measure but because I'll forget and get curious about my progress! Still, I can but try.

lolot
March 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
im in!! this is what i need!! i will suscribe and check in the next 3 months for sure

cremenoir
March 6th, 2012, 12:12 PM
i'm in! i'll measure in june. whoop!

lunalocks
March 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
OK me too. I just did one last measure at 34.5. Won't measure again until June 6th. I have a trim coming up, so will be happy if I break even.

jacqueline101
March 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I will try it. I've been keeping my hair up and letting it down for washing only. Maybe the out of sight out of mind will work.

phabieau
March 6th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I gave up measuring and supposedly stopped looking at my length in the mirror (not looking over my shoulder is just so hard!) I use Lent as a way to do things like this despite the fact that I am not at all religious. Anyway, I only have a month to go and my obsession has improved. I wish I had thought to look for a thread for this.

Mountaingrrl
March 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I did this before and just measured. With my curly texture it's hard to accurately measure small changes, but after 90 days the growth is clear. I'm in again until June.

lolot
March 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM
i couldnt do it, i meassure today because i was sure my hair is stalling and i was right it hasnt grow at all, not even a tiny mm in 1 month :(

Nephele
March 28th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I did my last measurement for 6 months last night and it is at 20 inches. No more measurements til September!

WaitingSoLong
April 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM
I really NEED to do this challenge. I measure my hair once a week, every time I wash it AND wear it down the same day, which is usually once a week or less. I "officially" measure it once a month, pretty much since I joined TLHC. I have been quite obsessed with it lately, knowing my hair growth has slowed and even completely stalled one month. But it seems to be back to its normal 1/2" per month and I would like to stop thinking about it.

I have tried to do the wear-your-hair-up for X days/months challenge. I never make it past one month. I always coupled that challenge with not measuring and failed.

My goal date is April 1st, my last measure was about Thanksgiving-ish at 38.5". I am wanting to reclaim Classic since my trim in October. April 1st won't get me there, but it is my TLHC anniversary. It's 122 days from Dec 1st. Since I can't remember the last time I measured exactly, I will just count from there.

Well I made it. I measured today for the first time since mid-November 2011. I am at 40.25. I am short a whole half inch of growth which sucks. I usually average 1/2" per month and should have been to 40.75 by today. I knew I had a stall, though, so not really unexpected.

Anyway, I didn't miss measuring one bit. I was surprised how easy it was. I will probably not meaure again until October and I should be hitting Classic by then. I am about 1.5-2" away at this time (it is somewhere right at 42" on me).

I also wore my hair up for 40 days for lent (and did not come to TLHC either). The only exception was when I went to the dentist, I had to do a braid that day.

Anyway, it was definitely a useful tool to break my measuring addiction and I think I am cured!

CurlyMopTop
April 2nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
I'm in again until June 30 which is my birthday. Hopefully I will be at bsl or can I call this bsl by then. ;)

whitedove
April 2nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
I'm in too, measured yesterday at 25.5". Just got a my first hairstick last week, so 3 months of buns ahead :).

Perelka74
April 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
I should try it as well , I just measured and I am at 22.5 , half an each in 1 month I guess is normal.

sfgirl
April 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Ooh! I'm in! Especially since that is my 6 month since I cut my hair anniversary.

MaryRose
April 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
My daughter and I are in. We measured today. My daughter is at 21.5 inches and myself is at 24inches.

ravenheather
April 2nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm in. Currently at 18 inches. I think I can put down the tape...

cldunzie0215
April 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm definitely trying this starting now..actually I don't measure measure mine, more like when its wet i'll pull its straight and just finger measure how long it is on me...but I'm not going to do that until the start of the school year again in august...I'll surprise myself with how long it has grown!

BrownEyedBeauty
July 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
I would love to do this but I am too addicted to measuring. I have managed to cut back to every second week which has been tough enough. I know exactly how fast my hair grows so I really shouldn't be checking so often.

millyaulait
July 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I need to do this.

I keep getting SO disappointed with my growth..... Guh!

I'm currently at 23" (APL), hoping to be 27" (BSL) by British Summer Time '13.

It's SO long away I simply MUST put the measuring tape down! :)

domisimone
July 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm in. I'm at 15-18 inches now, and I'm not going to measure until October first. I'm not even gonna stretch out my curls to see how long they are!

auburntressed
July 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hmm... I was hoping to measure each month this year with accompanying pictures. Maybe on August 1 I'll take one last measurement and then wait until November 1 to measure again. I'll keep up the pictures, though.

I have a few days to decide. :)

Silverbrumby
July 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I so need to forget about my hair gowth for a bit. I'm in till my next trim around sep/oct..

goldloli
July 25th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I think I'm retiring my ruler permanently. I measured my hair when i first joined, and double checked, it was 33 inches. I did a half inch trim and left it for 5 weeks, last night when i attempted to measure when damp brushed straight, it was 31 inches. I don't ever wanna feel this disheartened again so no stats for me.

hairstuck
July 27th, 2012, 03:17 AM
wow, DAILY? do you get any results daily? O.o

Double O.o.

I could see measuring more if trying some new supplement or scalp massage or hair growth shampoo, but every day permanently? Wow. That's patience.

CastaDiva
July 27th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I have retired my ruler, and haven't measured since late April-early May, can't remember:) I began to be an obsessive measurer, measuring after every hair wash, three times a week. I don't know when I'll measure again.

domisimone
August 2nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hey guys! *bump*

MINAKO
June 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
I stopped measuring early 2015. I knew what length it was then an really just eyeball now in terms of inches, as long as it doesn't stop or get shorter, seriously who cares?!!

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2016, 09:54 PM
I don't measure; with my short torso, landmarks mean more to me than numbers.
When I was growing out I kept track of what I had left to go to reach goal.
Someone asked me last month what my numbers/landmarks were; I measured and promptly forgot what I told them :o lol

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2016, 10:08 PM
I really like to measure monthly as I find it both fascinating and motivating. Anyways, I will give this a go to not measure for 90 days. I just trimmed off 1.5 inches today so I am starting at 35 inches even. This will work out perfectly since hopefully, I will have grown back the 1.5 inches during the next 90 days. ;)

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2016, 10:11 PM
I really like to measure monthly as I find it fascinating and motivating. Anyways, I will give this a go to not measure for 90 days. I just trimmed off 1.5 inches today so I am starting at 35 inches even.

I have a heck of a time getting accurate results consistently (even Hubby doing it) :doh:....so it was a good excuse to just use landmarks lol

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
I have a heck of a time getting accurate results consistently (even Hubby doing it) :doh:....so it was a good excuse to just use landmarks lol

@ GG, It's not so hard to get accurate measurements for me. I just hold the tape measure on my forehead hairline - right at the edge and hubby pulls my hair with the measuring tape down my back to the hemline. No, it's not precise, but at least it's something to know my hair is still growing so this helps keep me motivated. ;) Some people like to buy a lot of hairtoys to stay motivated, some are constantly trying new braids and buns, and some like to measure their hair. It's all good! ;)

@ Minako, I guess if you are already at your goal length, knowing if your hair has grown is not such a big deal, but when you are growing out layers, and needing to trim those off--every few months which gets very discouraging, it is fun to know if there is any growth progress, despite how small the growth amount is. PS I care!

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2016, 10:18 PM
It's not so hard to get accurate measurements for me. I just hold the tape measure on my forhead hairline - right at the edge and hubby pulls my hair with the measuring tape down my back to the hemline. No, it's not precise, but at least it's something to know my hair is still growing so this helps keep me motivated. ;) Some people like to buy a lot of hairtoys to stay motivated, some are constantly trying new braids and buns, and some like to measure their hair. It's all good! ;)
Oh ok...I thought it was just me; everytime we got a different number :p

Yeah..... I bought hair toys for inspiration...and learned new styles :o

Anyway...I'm good for 90 days...plus LOL

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2016, 10:29 PM
Oh ok...I thought it was just me; everytime we got a different number :p

Yeah..... I bought hair toys for inspiration...and learned new styles :o

Anyway...I'm good for 90 days...plus LOL

HUGSSS!!! :smooch:

Groovy Granny
June 3rd, 2016, 12:08 AM
Back atcha :flowers:

MINAKO
June 3rd, 2016, 06:10 AM
@ Minako, I guess if you are already at your goal length, knowing if your hair has grown is not such a big deal, but when you are growing out layers, and needing to trim those off--every few months which gets very discouraging, it is fun to know if there is any growth progress, despite how small the growth amount is. PS I care!

I get where you are coming from as i have previously measured my own hair for a long time as well. But for me it's really not so much the goal length that made me stop measuring. I actually find it makes the process of growing feel dreadful. Firstly because there are all these comparative measures flying around and secondly because of all these miracle growth method of which not one is actually working imo. Measuring creates standards and expectations in a collective mind that none can actually meet. I enjoy my hair much more just paying attention to how it look, feels and moves proportionally to my body. But of course you do you! :flower:

Hairkay
June 3rd, 2016, 06:30 AM
I'm not in the habit of measuring hair. It's too hard to get a consistent measurement with such tight curls and I never straighten my hair. I have measured the odd shed hair but that's still a rare thing for me. I notice the changes when I plait and I'm spending more time to finish plaiting/braiding a single plait than I was last year. The plait also hangs a little lower than before then shrinks up a bit. Oh and in the bath/shower the wet hair hangs lower on my body so I'll notice changes there too.

Agnes Hannah
June 3rd, 2016, 06:44 AM
I can't remember the last time I measured. I know it is growing by it reaching milestones etc. For me measuring was important when I first started my growing journey, but now laziness has set in. It did comfort me when I did measure but feel that I don't need to now I guess. Fun to do though!

Cg
June 3rd, 2016, 08:16 AM
I'm also in the camp of inconsistent numbers / throw out the ruler, so I can extend the 90 days forever.

My modification to this challenge is not to check milestones for 90 days. We'll see how that goes....

MINAKO
June 3rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
I'm also in the camp of inconsistent numbers / throw out the ruler, so I can extend the 90 days forever.

My modification to this challenge is not to check milestones for 90 days. We'll see how that goes....

That's gonna be difficult cause i wear patterned pjs alot and kinda know where it falls on some, but i'll try not to look haha.

cailinbee
June 3rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
I'm wondering if I should jump on this, but I'm already on a no-trim challenge and I feel like I need *something* to keep me going, because I'm normally a trimaholic! XD Hmmm...maybe though...

Capybara
June 5th, 2016, 06:11 PM
This is me ... still :) I remember when this thread started, time to get back on the bandwagon :)

Cg
September 15th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Okay, fellow threaders, how are you doing with this challenge?

The sound you hear is me patting myself on the back -- I did not check all summer. My reward, of sorts, is that now I am truly at waist despite microtrims every 6 weeks. Actually a micron or two past waist. Not sure I'll keep at this for the next 90 days because it's so darn hard and we all want to know there's progress. (Plus the next milestone will be lots > 90 days off.)