PDA

View Full Version : a question?

starlights
August 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM
I went to a party & i met a few guys who had grown their hair very long (past waist and beyond!)

I asked them what their secret was and this is what they said:

-NEVER cut splits... never trimming... just let hair grow

-change the shampoo you use every month

I found this interesting!!! has anyone here found the above tips work for them in growing their hair??? :)

Cinnamon Hair
August 21st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Sure. It's not that hard for most people (especially if you have virgin hair, meaning un-dyed & no heat products or chemical treatments) to grow waist length hair if they stop trimming. It stands to reason that if you don't trim then your hair should grow unless damage is causing it to break off or you're at terminal length.

I don't understand the benefit to rotating shampoos monthly, but I don't think it would cause any harm either. Who knows, maybe they are using coney shampoos that cause buildup? I doubt they read ingredients.

Really though, I would not consider this sage advice for growing long hair. It works but it's not the be-all-end-all or even all that good.

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Nooo! Do cut damage! Sure not cutting is the key to long hair but cutting off damage is the key to long AND healthy hair. As for changing shampoos I will have to look in to that. I can't see why changing shampoos frequently would matter but I would be open to trying it.

Speckla
August 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Most guys don't have the damage because they don't use dye, other chemicals, or flatirons.

kittensoupnrice
August 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Most of the guys I know who grow long hair do it in a fairly haphazard way.
They let it just grow and grow, and the ends get very raggedy.
Most tend, also, not to use conditioner, and they'll use whatever old comb or brush they used when in highschool w/ short hair. They won't baby their hair, either, and just run their brush and comb through it and ignore any breakage that occurs.

In short, yes, you can get very long hair doing this. Unfortunately, you will also tend have split ends on various lengths of your hair. Since the split ends will make untangling harder, you're more likely to create split ends at other lengths of your hair.

To get your hair clean of splits at that point would take massive S&D, or a massive trim-back. :(

While you can get away with no trimming, you really should consider regularly spaced S&D sessions, so you can trim away split ends that can snag and break other hairs.

Angeletti
August 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM
The never trimming comment he gave you worked for me, I haven't been to the hairdresser since 2007 (but I admit I do S&D split ends every month if I can). My hair is now the longest its ever been, a little past tailbone length, but I will say that not getting regular trims has caused me to get a fairytale hemline, so once I reach classic I will trim every month to thicken up my hemline.

The changing your shampoo every month comment kind of confuses me, I can't see how that would affect longer growth, but whatever works for them I guess.

Ylvalie
August 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I hadn't been trimming my hair between 2004 and 2007, it ended in major split ends up to chin length. I didn't gain any length because my hair grew slower than my ends crumbled :(
Thanks to S&D and dusting, I gain way more length.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Now that I've stopped using flat-irons or curling irons, my hair definitely grows faster without trims, but it doesn't look as nice. Except for LHC, I've never seen a guy's hair that I would personally like to have, so I'm not going to take advice from them.

Loreley
August 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
I did this for years. My hair was almost classic length but very demaged and I had fairytale ends. It looked really horrible. It wasn't smooth, soft and shiny at all.

Igor
August 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
The second advice is something I have heard a lot. Rotating products. That’s something you will find recommended a lot around here. Not sure anyone can actually explain why (Other than some half-bogus half-logic about hair and scalp “getting used to” products) it just seems to work for a lot of people

The first… Eh. Of course you can always grow your hair long if you simply don’t trim. But did you touch their hair? Examine it up close? :rolleyes:
It won't result in the healthy, shiny, low maintenance and soft hair that you actually want

jennyjb
August 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I've heard the advice about rotating products as well, but I don't understand why it works as most seem to have fairly similar ingredients.

Maybe the guys you met aren't bothered about having broken splitty ends, or maybe they're among the lucky few who just don't get splits.

starlights
August 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
one of the guys did have healthy, long, blonde tailbone hair but he chopped it off.
The other had past waist hair and he cut his, and the other had his past waist hair but he trimmed up to bsl... ((( they were all moaning they missed their long hair lol )))

the guy who gave me the tips did say to change shampoo because otherwise the scalp will get used to it and not grow. His other advise was not to trim lol All the other long haired boys agreed with this lol

Back_To_Basics
August 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
To get your hair clean of splits at that point would take massive S&D, or a massive trim-back. :(

While you can get away with no trimming, you really should consider regularly spaced S&D sessions, so you can trim away split ends that can snag and break other hairs.

S&D is also what I need to do. I know they are in there, and
I'll be going in after them. I had to laugh a bit when I read the
S&D definition because it sounds so kick butt like http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/sandsack.gif
I love it!
From experience my split ends stunted the growth of my hair,
and I had a lot of breakage running up the hair causing straggy ends.. so just a few months ago I had
a bit cut off.

HikerTrash
August 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Men seem to have totally different hair. I envy their hair. They can wash it with harsh deoderant soap and it comes out thick and wavy. Men's hair never looks shiny, either, and it doesn't have to in order to look healthy, thick and enviable.