PDA

View Full Version : - Anyone else not a bun-fanatic ?

RedheadMistress
August 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM
- I love this forum and have been browsing all lovely members albums etc. but I feel like I don't really fit in because I'm not a bun-updo fan . o.O

Usually I have my hair in 2 pigtails, either messy or just loose hair, or 2 braids . . or more braids . Most users I've seen though, seem to have an array of favourite bun-shapes and toys and sticks and k-somethings to make them ^^

Maybe it's because I like covering up my face with hair, I just think it feels naked when it's all back there on the top of my head . .

Not saying buns are bad, I think they're good, once my hair is That long as well, I will probably jump on your wagon because it will be better for my hair to be protected and out of the way, but until I get there I'm just looking for others like me, who either prefer having their hair out in the loose or just in pigtails . . or messy weird teddybear-ear shaped figurations !

Idk, just wish I was into these things too, would show toys and sticks and whatnot . .

My hair is already at bun-able length, but still, hrm . . not a fan .
But on others it looks cute <3

[hope this gets understood and not taken in a bad manner ! ;)]

MissManda
August 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bunned hairstyles, either. I'm a braid girl, through and through! :D I love putting my hair into different kinds of braids!

I feel like most buns make me look like a mean, crabby lady and I've been having issues with adjusting to how they pull my hair back. The majority of the bun shapes that I found attractive are not possible at my length because of my thickness. I can do a grand total of ONE bun that I actually like the appearance of, which is the fully-rolled sock bun. I think cinnabuns look boring and the Pencil Bun just doesn't want to stay.

I hope I'll take more of a liking to buns as my hair gets longer and as I gain the ability to do more of them.

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
I'm not a bun fan yet because they don't seem to hold my hair well (hopefully that will change as it gets longer). I am still using claw clips although they are getting too small to hold my hair :(. I guess I am in that transition phaze where I have too much hair for a clip but not enough for a bun (sigh!)

Drynwhyl
August 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM
I used to wear them more, but I don't think they look that good on me because I shave a part of my head and it's not the greatest combination imho. :D
Plus I gained some weight and the roundness of my cheeks is a bit more visible if I pull it all back in a bun :P

RedheadMistress
August 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bunned hairstyles, either. I'm a braid girl, through and through! :D I love putting my hair into different kinds of braids!

- I'm just the same, but I'm still not very varied in the types of braids, keep practising fishbraids because I think they're very pretty but it just wont work . . also my hair is veery layered and I hope it will work once it's longer . . !

Qwackie
August 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
I was like that, too. I still don't like buns. I usually had it loose or had two braids.

RedheadMistress
August 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I used to wear them more, but I don't think they look that good on me because I shave a part of my head and it's not the greatest combination imho. :D
Plus I gained some weight and the roundness of my cheeks is a bit more visible if I pull it all back in a bun :P
- Maybe that's why I don't like them either ! I shave the sides of my hair, pretty high up [still my hair is very thick imo] and yeah, a bun wouldn't work, it would be too neat compared to the chopped up hacked hair I have on the sides of my hair heheh . . yeah I have the same cheek complex thing, but hopefully once I've gotten them pierced in 2 weeks, I might feel better about them and maybe even buns, who knows . .

GlennaGirl
August 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I hate how I look in buns, but I need to wear them often (heat during the summer; also, just for protection), so I will often do a very messy "undone" bun (using Good Hair Days pins) or a peacock twist.

LoversLullaby
August 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM
I'm a huge braid lover. I'll wear buns often, but I am always much happier in some sort of braid. I think they look nicer on me.

Quezie
August 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
I love the way the fully rolled sock bun looks, but other than that, I don't really bun my hair regularly. I prefer braids if I was to keep my hair neat and untangled.

I don't like having all my hair tied back from my face either, but I still have some face framing layers that don't fit into my bun. :)

constantki
August 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM
Buns give me headaches after a while. Plus, they never seem to stay up for me! I usually wear my hair in a braid(s).

melikai
August 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
I wear buns for their practicality, if I need to get my hair out of the way and secure, but I don't feel like myself in them.

I prefer braids, pigtails/ponytails, and things like loose Gibson tucks.

luxepiggy
August 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I usually leave my hair down & loose. While I love the way braids look, it's really hard to get my hair to cooperate b/c it's very, very slippery. If I braid it, either (1) the elastic will mysteriously slide off the end; (2) random bits will manage to work themselves out of the braid and tick out at random places; or (3) both!

I ended up doing buns w/hairsticks as that's the only secure way to keep my hair up and off my neck. In short, I'm not a bun-fanatic, but I'm too lazy to do anything else when a bun takes <30 seconds and stays secure for the whole day (^(oo)^)

teela1978
August 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM
I ended up doing buns w/hairsticks as that's the only secure way to keep my hair up and off my neck. In short, I'm not a bun-fanatic, but I'm too lazy to do anything else when a bun takes <30 seconds and stays secure for the whole day (^(oo)^)
This pretty much describes why I like buns.

Quixii
August 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I haven't done too many buns yet. I wore a sock bun to school when I first learned how to do it. I wore a cinnabun a couple times in Hawaii when it was hot. Other than that, I wear a bun for gymnastics and that's about it. My daily style is a single ponytail. Sometimes I'll do a braid (regular three strand or rope). *shrug*
I think I may be getting enough damage that it's affecting my growth rate, but I'd rather enjoy my hair at any length than force myself to put it in buns. Plus, I bike to school, and buns don't fit under the helmet. (Grr!)

suffer-cait
August 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm not a bun fan either. I'll use them durring school if i need to get my hair out of my way entirely, but otherwise, never. I'm also of the mind that my face looks better with hair around it, and either way, my buns don't look very thick and healthy.

PiroskaCicu
August 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
I do buns once in a while, but nothing fancy really. I LOVE ponytails, loose hair and braids more than anything. It just feels more free and flowing.

Squeak toy
August 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am not a fan of buns. They pull my hair and give me headaches. I think braids suit my face better.

spidermom
August 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
Basically, I hate buns, but they're practical. If my hair is in braids all day, the hairs that escape tangle up with each other, and it's just about as difficult to comb out a braid as it is to comb out loose hair.

Teazel
August 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
I prefer braids to buns too, but at my length buns are just more practical and protective - and much quicker to make!

If I wear a plait now I'm very aware of it rubbing on my clothes :scared: and it's a bit annoying to have to keep moving it out of the way all the time. So up in a bun it goes.

Katurday
August 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I think most harsh buns are rather unflattering so I tend to steer clear of most people's picture albums. I tend to favor the sausage like rolled buns as opposed to complex braided ones, unless they're smaller. I think the whole "bun eating head look" is strange, but then again I have a lot of hair so I don't really aim for the lot of hair look. I grew up with petite ballerina buns either way. I like double buns better.

frost pattern
August 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
- I love this forum and have been browsing all lovely members albums etc. but I feel like I don't really fit in because I'm not a bun-updo fan . o.O]
Browsing this forum, you'll find endless options undreamed-of possibilities to dress your hair . Nobody can try, wear and love it all ;), so making choices is just appropriate. You have long hair, so take a look at the forum name and just don't read the threads you're not interested in :).

My hair is not suitable for wearing ponytails due to layers, I didn't manage braiding yet and since I've been a short hair all my live with the exception of the past few months I'm not used to long hair always being in the way. I love buns and I'm so proud I managed to to some of the millions of variants this forum provides.

Did you realize that lots of bun talk is about hair toys? There are a lot of toys to adore and hold buns compared to the options you have regarding ponytails :), so there's more to talk about! And finally – a ponytail is a ponytail (really? - not sure), but there are so many bun types! :twocents:

Drynwhyl
August 22nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
I do like double buns, like one on each side of head, and it looks nice on me. I didn't find a good way to secure them well, though ;s

eicamawa
August 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
I'm not a bun fan, because I can't get the bun to stick to my head, it falls out again after a short time, so now I'm a more braid fan. It maybe takes a little more time, depending on how you braid it, but it doesn't fall out, and it looks nice :)

Bene
August 23rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
I think "bun-fanatic" is too strong a word for it. For me, it's a matter of preference, they're easy to deal with and efficient.

baaaad_kitty
August 23rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I feel the same way. I'd rather have my hair down for all to see it's nice length hihi

Joliebaby
August 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
I only wore my hair down or in a ponytail until a few months ago. I like braids a lot too, more than buns generally, but sometimes a bun is the fastest and easiest option to get it out of the way. Also some very intricate or humongous buns look super elegant -if you are in the mood!
I must admit I only know how to make a couple of simple buns atm, I will learn more when my hair length will allow... But currently I'm in love with the herringbone braid!!!

Pixna
August 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM
I think "bun-fanatic" is too strong a word for it. For me, it's a matter of preference, they're easy to deal with and efficient.

Yes, that's how I feel. Plus, I see buns as a vehicle for cool hair toys (a "hair-toy delivery system," if you will). I do only one style of bun (which I wear every day but with a different hair toy), so I don't think I would qualify as a "fanatic" -- just someone who appreciates the pleasures of having my hair up and out of the way and securing it with something interesting.

cmnt831
August 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I learned to make a few different buns when I was in the updo challenge, and I enjoyed wearing them for the most part. But, then I feared that the pins and elastics and even the sticks were damaging my hair. Plus, I wasn't all that pleased with the way they looked on my head. I now have one bun that requires one stick, looks nice and holds all day without giving me a headache, so that's the one I use most of the time.

I am waiting for the day when my hair is long enough to create updos like Teazel's. That's why I'm growing long hair. :D The buns I wear now are just utilitarian for me. I've also found that the longer my hair is getting, the more I appreciate being able to quickly put it into a bun to get it out of the way.

I definitely understand your point and I am certainly not a bun fanatic, either. Oh, and I joined the updo challenge precisely so that I would learn to like buns at least a little bit. ;)

Themyst
August 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'm super uncoordinated and bun tutorials usually frustrate the heck out of me so I don't usually pay much attention to buns. Although, just because of my length I do wear my hair up in a bun most of the time so it doesn't dip into the toilet (ew)/get caught in the dishwasher/etc., but its just a quick, lazy, wrap-around bun secured with regular hair clips.

lpsqt60
August 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
I love to braid my hair but in the end I find that making a quick bun is so easy and it holds. I do leave my hair down at times but eventually I can't stand the hot feeling on the back of my neck and I have to put my hair up (sigh):rolleyes:.

goldenoak
August 23rd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I think I may be getting enough damage that it's affecting my growth rate, but I'd rather enjoy my hair at any length than force myself to put it in buns.

Good point, Quixii! I love loose hair and half-up styles, and wore mine that way for more than a decade. So irresponsible! So much hair damage! But... what fun is having long hair if it's always hidden in an updo? True, I never got past waist, but to most of the world, anything beyond APL is appreciably "long".

My preference might also be because my hair is so fine that I only ever had a wee bun, whereas when it's loose the curls make pretend volume. ;) When I have enough hair this time around I'll probably try the rolled sock bun and see if it looks any better.

Copasetic
August 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Basically, I hate buns, but they're practical. If my hair is in braids all day, the hairs that escape tangle up with each other, and it's just about as difficult to comb out a braid as it is to comb out loose hair.

This is exactly how I feel. I hate buns. I don't like how they look on me at all. But where I live, the summers get really hot, and I can't stand having my hair on my neck, so I throw my hair into a bun. I prefer loose hair, and braids, but sometimes they are not the most practical choice.

ETA: I even hate the word "bun".

mellie
August 23rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm not a bun-fan either. They don't look good on me, (my face is kind of square and wide). Except for double buns (on each side of the head). Those are cute. But even those still tend to make my face look wide.

I like wearing my hair down usually, I think that is most flattering for my face.

naereid
August 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I used to hate buns, but when my hair was going through months and months of transitioning into coneless care, I was forced to wear them all the time. After a few weeks I got used to it and now I think they're okay. I like that I don't have to worry about the wind and rubbing on chair backs when sitting down.

I never pull back all my hair from my face if I'm leaving the house, though. :scared: (also known as the Croydon facelift :grnbiggri) It's such a harsh look and makes me feel exposed.