PDA

View Full Version : Wearing long hair down all the time?

Scottish Lass
August 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi i apologise if this has been spoken about before i couldn't come up with anything through the search button

Anyway i have hair that falls to between waist and hip length and i wear it down basically all the time (apart from when i work 3 mornings a week in hospital) i love having my hair down my back it's like a security blanket for me or something, since joining here i have been trying to wear it up but i just can't :( i end up taking it down after an hour, ideally i wan't my hair tbl possibly classic but i'm not sure how realistic this would be for me considering i would want to keep wearing it down

so is there anyone here who like me loves having hair flowing down back and if so how long is your hair and how do you find it is to live with? does it get very damaged or do you do extra tlc to make up for lack of protective styles?

Thanks in advance! :D

irishlady
August 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Heya :)

Yeah I agree with you I must say, I have been trying to wear my hair up too, but I just love having it down, and feel like it's a bit of a waste if I never see it because it's up all the time :).

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I can never decide, I switch from having it down and having it in an updo all the time :p

But I must be better at having it up, because otherwise I will just start cut. But when it is long, ooohhh, I am going to have it down most of the time! *can't wait*

(I don't like how I look in a ponytail or anything that does not include my hair being down..)

constantki
August 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am like that too! I braid it often although updos are very rare!

Scottish Lass
August 21st, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm so glad i'm not alone with loving hair down, it's weird how everyone is different..i used to work with a girl who had lovely long hair to the top of her jeans so probably hip? ish but she never ever wore it down..only ever saw it down when she was re-doing her style, when i'm at work i have to wear my hair up but every chance i get during morning i take it down (in staff room etc) i sleep with it loose, do housework with it loose etc etc but so far i don't find it getting in the way but this is the longest length i have had so far...i hope i can continue to wear it down to my goal lenght

LadyJennifer
August 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
When my hair was to my hips I wore it down or half-up almost all the time. It never got damaged or tangled. I liked braids too, when I wanted it out of the way.

Ivy~Rose
August 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
I rarely wear mine down - not only does it tend to get tangled/matted and requires brushing every hour or so to look presentable, but also, I wore it down or in nice long styles to work a few times and my coworkers didn't even notice. So, I just throw it up in a nautilus bun or other simple bun for work, and play with it when I get home :)

cmnt831
August 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've always liked wearing my hair down, but it's too hot and windy here for that to be practical in any way, shape or form; so, I've now had to accept wearing it up when I go out. At home, I let it down and enjoy it - and sometimes that's an all day thing. :)

It is waist length at this point and I do oil it everyday, sleep in a satin bonnet (which dh absolutely loves), comb it very gently, etc. I don't know yet if there's any advantage or not to this type of routine, but I figure being nice to my hair as much as possible is a good thing in the long run.

beadmask
August 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM
I typically wear my hair down, I like the way it feels around my shoulders. Your comment about your hair being like a security blanket is probably an apt analogy for me as well. My hair tends to get a bit wild, so if I'm going out or needing to look more polished I like to wear 1/3-1/2 of it up ... but I always have a bit down around my shoulders.

My hair is only BSL now, so doing this is pretty manageable. When my hair was tailbone length, I did tend to wear it up in braids and ponytails more simply to keep it out of the way.

Jenn of Pence
August 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
I've been BSL to mid-back for years, and I've almost always preferred to wear it down. It doesn't bother me having it loose other than getting it caught under my purse strap or keeping it tied back when it's windy. Now that I'm striving for longer, I don't know how I will feel about keeping it down, but I am trying to learn some new 'dos so at least having it up will be interesting. :)

kmoc123
August 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM
I wear mine down most of the time. I love how it feels and I must admit that I enjoy the looks and comments about it.

ButterCup02
August 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mine is down quite often too, I like it best that way. I'm at mid back now (almost waist!) and find it doesn't get tangled too easily. I figure I may as well enjoy it if I am going to go through so much effort to have nice, long hair :)

Scottish Lass
August 22nd, 2010, 02:04 AM
I've always liked wearing my hair down, but it's too hot and windy here for that to be practical in any way, shape or form; so, I've now had to accept wearing it up when I go out. At home, I let it down and enjoy it - and sometimes that's an all day thing. :)

It is waist length at this point and I do oil it everyday, sleep in a satin bonnet (which dh absolutely loves), comb it very gently, etc. I don't know yet if there's any advantage or not to this type of routine, but I figure being nice to my hair as much as possible is a good thing in the long run.

Maybe part of my not wanting my hair up is i live in Scotland and boy it's cold!! It is very windy here but i don't find that an issue for some reason

Scottish Lass
August 22nd, 2010, 02:09 AM
I typically wear my hair down, I like the way it feels around my shoulders. Your comment about your hair being like a security blanket is probably an apt analogy for me as well. My hair tends to get a bit wild, so if I'm going out or needing to look more polished I like to wear 1/3-1/2 of it up ... but I always have a bit down around my shoulders.

My hair is only BSL now, so doing this is pretty manageable. When my hair was tailbone length, I did tend to wear it up in braids and ponytails more simply to keep it out of the way.

I'm hoping that if i get to tbl or classic and find it too damaging/or just plain annoying then if i wear it in a ponied pleat/braid then because it's longer the weight down the back will still be there?

Scottish Lass
August 22nd, 2010, 02:13 AM
I've been BSL to mid-back for years, and I've almost always preferred to wear it down. It doesn't bother me having it loose other than getting it caught under my purse strap or keeping it tied back when it's windy. Now that I'm striving for longer, I don't know how I will feel about keeping it down, but I am trying to learn some new 'dos so at least having it up will be interesting. :)

It doesn't bother me either at all....makes me feel a tad guilty when i'm on this forum because i see lots of people saying to watch out for bag straps etc and i think oh no i'm terrible i just sweep it to the side and carry on :o

I bought some hair sticks to try and train myself to do nice easy hair ups that i'd actually wear but so far no joy

Scottish Lass
August 22nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
I wear mine down most of the time. I love how it feels and I must admit that I enjoy the looks and comments about it.

Mine is down quite often too, I like it best that way. I'm at mid back now (almost waist!) and find it doesn't get tangled too easily. I figure I may as well enjoy it if I am going to go through so much effort to have nice, long hair :)

Yes definately enjoy it down while we can :D

Buttercup i noticed in your picture you have some gentle waves going on and you have hair type 1c, i wonder if i have hair more similar to your type as i have some wave going on that i didn't realise about! and it looks similar to your wave...

mariika
August 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
what's the point of having ultra long hair and not wearing it down?
yeah, it's damaging to have it down but that depends on one's daily routine dramatically. some just don't do anything special during the day that involves hurting your hair

Night_Kitten
August 22nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
Before I joined LHC I used to wear my hair down all the time, I got to slightly below hip length, so it is possible... But it caused breakage and taper, so be extra careful with it (unfortunately I wasn't) - don't let it rub on backs of chairs and get caught under straps, do moisture treatments...

cmnt831
August 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Maybe part of my not wanting my hair up is i live in Scotland and boy it's cold!! It is very windy here but i don't find that an issue for some reason

I know what you mean. I hate to wear my hair up when it gets cold here because it makes my ears hurt so much. But then I don't like to have it blowing around in the wind, so it's kind of a dilemma. I wish wind wasn't an issue for me - you're lucky your hair's not bothered by it! :)

You should enjoy your hair as you see fit. I mean, it is your hair, after all. :D

rags
August 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
what's the point of having ultra long hair and not wearing it down?
yeah, it's damaging to have it down but that depends on one's daily routine dramatically. some just don't do anything special during the day that involves hurting your hair

Well, for some people the point is being able to do lots of different updos! And for others, the point is to only let it down around friends/family or for special occasions. Everyone has their own reasons for growing their hair long.

Nera
August 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
I wear my hair down most of the time. I love my hair, i feel like myself when wearing it down.
It is definately more damageing but i just cut the damage off. It's worth it for me.

Scottish Lass
August 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Before I joined LHC I used to wear my hair down all the time, I got to slightly below hip length, so it is possible... But it caused breakage and taper, so be extra careful with it (unfortunately I wasn't) - don't let it rub on backs of chairs and get caught under straps, do moisture treatments...

For a while i was finding that the underside of my hair was getting really tangled where itwas rubbing but since i have started using leave in condish's thats stopped luckily, but yeah i am perhaps going to have to accept that once i hit tbl i will need it up or may be forced to cut back to hip :( so given that choice i would force myself to wear it in some kind of style

Angeletti
August 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have tailbone length hair and always wear it down for the first three days after washing then it goes back up into buns and updos because I don't want to show off my unclean roots. I usually always wear it up when I'm at home because I feel like it's out of my way and getting less damage, but when out in public or at work it will be down because I love the way I look with it down and love showing off the length.

Crackaleen
August 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
I have the opposite problem - I would like to wear my hair down more, to show off the length, but as others have said it tangles and becomes too wild. These days I usually keep it bunned. The closest I can get to leaving it down generally is a simple braid, but even that has to be redone regularly since it becomes messy and wild quickly. Every now and then I start the day with my hair down, but I've learned to carry something around with me to put my hair up with, because chances are excellent it's going to get in my way and become bothersome. My hair has just reached hip length, for what it's worth.

Capybara
August 22nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
I love wearing my hair up, and I love wearing it down. It's at tailbone right now, and I have no problem with mechanical damage from wearing it down.

That being said, I think that you adapt to your hair length. Whenever I sit down in a chair, for example, I lift up my hair and drape it over the chair back so it doesn't get caught between the chair back and my back. Whenever I get in the car, I bring it to the side so it doesn't get caught in the door or seat belt. Whenever I pick up my purse, I brush all of my hair off my shoulder so it doesn't get caught under the strap. I've been told that I even manipulate the position of my braid as I sleep, when I roll over (heh!). It's all become subconscious, though. If you treat your hair well, and always keep track of it's location, you'll do fine.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Another thing about having my hair down - the nape hairs get tangled/matted; it's bad. Really bad. I've had to cut out knots.

darkwaves
August 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Another thing about having my hair down - the nape hairs get tangled/matted; it's bad. Really bad. I've had to cut out knots. Yes, that's how my hair is, too. I have fine wurly hair that really wants to dread... Set it free, and it tangles and knots and matts and yes, needs to be cut free.

I like wearing my hair loose, but as that causes significant damage, I compromise. It's up most of the time, for protection. (My work colleagues don't need to see my hair, and at home, if I'm busy, it kind of gets in the way, so that compromise works just fine.)

If I hadn't learned updos (and discovered hairtoys, to make them fun), my hair would not be beyond shoulder or BSL.

Annalouise
August 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Dito that. I can't even wear a braid unless I put a high ponytail and then braid that. Anything rubbing against my shoulders tends to tangle and matt. And wool coats! Oh my goodness, nightmare!

The problem I'm having now is learning how to put it up so that it stays but is also comfortable and won't give me a headache. I haven't learned this yet, and I have to study this at LHC to learn. My hair is only just now long enough so that I have to learn how to do updos or I'm sure I will not make it to long lengths without updos. It will get tangles and break.

Another thing about having my hair down - the nape hairs get tangled/matted; it's bad. Really bad. I've had to cut out knots.

JesusFreak88
August 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I always wear my hair down. I want to start to wear it up more but I miss having it down when it is up. I have never had issues with nape hair getting tangled. It was always the canopy. My hair tangles slightly and is only ever a tangle mess if I don't comb it for like a week. Last year when I was having a bad week I just didn't comb my hair. Then I had to spend an hour combing it. If I wear it up all the time without combing it every day I have the same problem. But my tangles always are on the canopy.

Rivanariko
August 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Before I joined LHC I wore my hair down 90% of the time if I wasn't working in the barn and/or the weather was really hot. Since starting to wear it up, because I'm no longer having to rip out the tangles and snarls that would accumulate throughout the day. It was weird having it up most of the time when I started, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. I still wear it down sometimes in the winter, for special occasions and things. But it's so much easier to maintain when I keep it up, and so much less to worry about.

I think a lot of the "wear your hair up all the time!" stuff really depends on your hair type. My hair tangles if you look at it wrong, and is very fine and breaks very easily. I also have very narrow shoulders, so it doesn't like to stay on my back, but ends up falling forward in my face all of the time. My life is a lot easier with it up, for me. Other people don't have that problem and wear it down all of the time without any issue.

Marika
August 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM

This is my problem too, I can't even wear ponytails or braids without the matting. I'd love to wear my hair down more often but it's not really worth the tangles...

Nicoliee
January 14th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I prefer my hair down. Just comfortable for me. Also wearing it up gives me headaches. But I've very sensitive. Even one bobby pin can give me a headache. Not always but VERY often. Also I'm really not very good at fixing my hair.

Fufu
January 14th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I wear my hair all the time too, if not i just do a half up pony tail :)

Zindell
January 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I wear my hair down all the time! In bed too.
I love it that way. I prefer how I look with my hair down. :)

(My hair is now longer than on my avatar. I really need to take a new picture)

dropinthebucket
January 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
My hair doesn't look very nice on me up, but I have super fine tangly hair, so up it must go. Besides, I'm addicted to hair toys - where would be the fun in wearing it down? :D

Rebecca.1905
January 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm uncomfortable with my hair up, so I wear it down. I Just prefer it that way. I understand the security blanket feeling, that's how mine is for me.