PDA

View Full Version : Fungus - air drying??

smilinjenn71
August 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
I have a question regarding scalp health and air drying.

This has happened twice to me over the past year. If I air dry my hair, after a few weeks my scalp starts getting really sore. The first time it happened I applied Monistat to my scalp for several days and it cleared right up. Therefore, I deduced the moisture from air drying was contributing to yeasties (is that a word...hehe) on my scalp. So, I started drying the roots every time I washed and all was well again.

Now it's summer and I'm having the same thing happening. I would say it's because of swimming almost every weekend; hair is wet the majority of the day. Soooo, I'm back to applying Monistat again to clear it up and will have to dry my roots with a dryer again. Of course, I'm trying to grow out side swept bangs, so I am using the Monistat for that as well.;)

Has anyone else had this issue or something similar??:shrug:

florenonite
August 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM
*raises hand*

I don't think my problem is fungus, but I've got eczema so extensive dampness is not my friend. I was finding this past winter, when my WL, iii hair was taking all day to dry near the nape of my neck, that my scalp was itchy, flaky and uncomfortable.

One thing I've found helps a bit, especially when my hair is shorter, is to part it in several places to allow the air in and fluff it up a bit. Blowdrying works, too, and IMHO scalp health is more important than hair health, though by all means it's important to minimise the damage to your hair from blowdrying (low heat, low speed, don't do it till it's 100% dry).

smilinjenn71
August 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
florenonite (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=11645), thank you for your post! I agree that scalp health is most important too and I rarely, if ever fully dry with my hair dryer. I just can't seem to get away with completely air drying w/these scalp issues.

Roseate
August 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
I agree, my scalp always comes first! No matter how good my hair looks, if my scalp is sore and cracking, I don't even care. Air drying hasn't had bad effects on my scalp so far, and I'm glad about that. And jenn, your hair is looking incredible, BTW!

DuckyDot
August 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
That happens to me when I Plop. But I do have Seborrheic Dermatitis. It's like the moisture makes my scalp REBEL against me. :(