PDA

View Full Version : Lazy wrap?

Barniie
August 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM
Just some questions about the lazy wrap bun -

Can you do it on layered APL hair?
Will one stick hold?
WHERE'S THE LINK?!?!?!??!

The articles section is really frustrating because theres no search!

Any help would be very appreciated :)

Coriander
August 21st, 2010, 03:20 AM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24) is an LHC member's video version of the lazy wrap bun. She has hair that looks to be slightly layered.

I've done this bun successfully on my hair, and I have "bangs" that are at about APL while the rest of my hair is almost classic. It works beautifully. :)

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72) is the article. :)

Barniie
August 21st, 2010, 03:28 AM
thankyouthankyou!!

Coriander
August 21st, 2010, 03:30 AM
You're very welcome! :flower:

julliams
August 21st, 2010, 05:50 AM
My hair was about APL when I was first able to do the lazy wrap (it's in my avatar). I have layered hair and my shortest layer would have been about shoulder length at the time. I suggest you give it alot of practice. My first couple of goes were dismal failures and then magically it worked. I used two hairsticks at first.

The other bun that I like alot is the Chopstick bun. It's really comfortable. I can't remember if I was APL when I first started doing it, but it will be a good one to save for later if you can't do it now. This video is really easy to understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

EtherealOde
August 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
I loooooooove the lazy wrap because it is just so quick and easy to do. Sometimes when I want the extra hold, I secure it with a Ficcare, grabbing that center portion. It holds great all day that way and is a change from a hairstick. I wish my hair was long enough for a celtic knot bun, I think they are really pretty.

AstrayStar
August 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
My hair was about APL when I was first able to do the lazy wrap (it's in my avatar). I have layered hair and my shortest layer would have been about shoulder length at the time. I suggest you give it alot of practice. My first couple of goes were dismal failures and then magically it worked. I used two hairsticks at first.

The other bun that I like alot is the Chopstick bun. It's really comfortable. I can't remember if I was APL when I first started doing it, but it will be a good one to save for later if you can't do it now. This video is really easy to understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

Thanks for posting those links :) I haven't tried out a hairstick updo for quite some time and they are working better for me now!

To the OP: I wish you luck!

rags
August 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Since you are a Finey like myself, I'll warn you - you may or may not be able to hold this with one stick at APL. I have super slippery hair and usually have to use a fork or Ficcare. I'm brushing the top of BSL and just a few days ago was able to get it to stay for longer than a few minutes with one stick.

Jenn of Pence
August 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
I have sooo much trouble getting it to hold, too. I may have to resort to trying it with two, because I really love the smooth look of this wrap!

Cleopatra18
August 21st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks alot for this thread OP! I just learned how to do it and I really like it =)

clichepithet
August 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
A Flexi-8 is also an excellent tool to give your lazy wrap a much more secure hold.

Barniie
August 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
*smiles* off to grab a chopstick!

linda g
August 23rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
A Flexi-8 is also an excellent tool to give your lazy wrap a much more secure hold.

ooh, thanks for this tip! I was about to give up on trying this style (my hair is *nearly* BSL but kept flying out of the lazy wrap), but this worked for me! :cheese:

Toffee20
August 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just some questions about the lazy wrap bun -

Can you do it on layered APL hair?
Will one stick hold?
WHERE'S THE LINK?!?!?!??!

The articles section is really frustrating because theres no search!

Any help would be very appreciated :)
I'm not sure if you get notified of this automatically, but I love how your hair has a name! Totally cute =) xx

Marjolein
August 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM
It's weird how buns work differently for all of us. The lazy wrap didn't work on my fine, slippery hair until it was 25 inches long, which is somewhere between APL and BSL for me. My hair is now 26 inches long and it's just starting to wrap comfortably, instead of extremely tightly. I only use one hairstick, because two will make the bun looser, instead of more secure and a flexi-8 does absolutely nothing to keep the ends in place, so the bun falls out after a minute or so :confused:.

Anje
August 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Since you are a Finey like myself, I'll warn you - you may or may not be able to hold this with one stick at APL. I have super slippery hair and usually have to use a fork or Ficcare. I'm brushing the top of BSL and just a few days ago was able to get it to stay for longer than a few minutes with one stick.
Heck, it's not just APL-slippery-fineys who have trouble holding it with one hairstick. /me sheepishly raises hand. I've got an hour or two, though....

If you need a little more hold, try twisting the first wrap a bit. That helps to keep it snug if you're like me and it keeps loosening until the stick falls out.

clichepithet
August 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
It's weird how buns work differently for all of us. The lazy wrap didn't work on my fine, slippery hair until it was 25 inches long, which is somewhere between APL and BSL for me. My hair is now 26 inches long and it's just starting to wrap comfortably, instead of extremely tightly. I only use one hairstick, because two will make the bun looser, instead of more secure and a flexi-8 does absolutely nothing to keep the ends in place, so the bun falls out after a minute or so :confused:.

I had the same issue with length versus being able to wrap comfy and not super tight. Attempting to put in more than one stick makes mine fall right out too, really don't know what's up with that. As far as hold and ends with the Flexi goes...

Heck, it's not just APL-slippery-fineys who have trouble holding it with one hairstick. /me sheepishly raises hand. I've got an hour or two, though....

If you need a little more hold, try twisting the first wrap a bit. That helps to keep it snug if you're like me and it keeps loosening until the stick falls out.

... This. I tend to twist my whole length as I'm wrapping. Progressively more and more especially towards the ends as I take them around the base so that the Flexi presses the outer coils down onto the ends. The only time I don't twist the length is for post-shower if it's wet; but I don't use a Flexi then, just a small knitting needle bent into a shepard hook.

Octave
August 24th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hmm well my trouble is that I have no where to tuck my ends. There's simply so much of them, if that makes sense? So the entire bun enfolds... :(

Bast
August 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I have APL fine hair that's super-slippery until it gets visibly oily.

I can do it moderately well as a half-up, but I've found that the stick MUST have some form of texture - my metal double pointed knitting needles don't work so well, a wooden pencil does.

Octave - maybe you can keep wrapping them around the base and if they won't stay, using a bobby pin or amish pin to hold them?

paperwhite
August 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Ooh! I just (finally!) got this to work! I had to wrap it a second time between my index finger and thumb, but it's holding :) It was easy to follow the video that was posted, I wonder why it took me so long to figure out how to make this bun... :?

Octave
August 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Octave - maybe you can keep wrapping them around the base and if they won't stay, using a bobby pin or amish pin to hold them?

Have unfortunately tried wrapping them around, but that never works as they are quite thick. Would need tons of bobby pins for my ends to stay where I want them haha. At the same time don't think my hair approves of bobby pins as they always break/loosen up and end up looking like amish pins . :shrug:
So bobby pins only work if I take small amounts of hair.
Oh well, perhaps it will get easier once I get longer hair...hopefully. But, I will keep on trying, won't give up and perhaps I'll succeed in the nearest future :)

Jenn of Pence
August 24th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I am still having trouble with it, too! Although I finally got it tight enough this morning, and it's been up for about five hours so far. I have two sticks in it, but I'm not sure it made it radically more secure than just wrapping it tighter. I also try twisting a bit to help keep it from unraveling.

Now that I have it tight enough, there isn't much room to tuck my ends in between the bun and my head. I shoved some of them down with a hair pin, but I let the rest of them do what they wanted...I gave up! ;) I don't know why I want this bun to work so badly instead of just sticking with another one. Okay, actually I do know...it looks more voluminous, like I have more hair, rather than other ones that make my bun look anemic in size! :p

Anje
August 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Octave, I think you have some thickness working against you. I know it doesn't help in the short term, but probably as you gain more length, your ends will taper more. Then you won't have a big chunk of ENDS to try to deal with, but they'll dwindle a bit. Of course, how much they do that varies a lot with genetics... some folks have noticeable taper by waist, others have seriously thick ends at knee.

If you want some taper for end-tucking and just can never grow it, if nothing else you might resort to trimming a U or V-shaped hemline. At least then the ends are spread out a bit.

schweedie
August 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't know why I want this bun to work so badly instead of just sticking with another one. Okay, actually I do know...it looks more voluminous, like I have more hair, rather than other ones that make my bun look anemic in size! :p
I'm in the exact same situation! I love the lazy wrap, I've bought pretty new hairsticks that I want to use - but my hair seems to be that little bit too short for it (I have the same problem with the split bun, which I'm also dying to wear). And I haven't been able to understand why, because it's BSL and from what I read I figured that should be a good length. It wasn't until today that I realised that because I'm so short, my BSL is shorter than many others'. *facepalm* And of course it's straight and pretty slippery, which doesn't help either. Another inch or two and it should hold. Meanwhile, my hairsticks are laughing at me.