PDA

View Full Version : My Henna Skin Test Irritated. Suggestions?

xfan
August 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I was plaining to do my first Henna tonight but i did a skin test with a smaller amount first and I found my skin got irritated. I just mixed Celebration Henna from Mehandi.com with 100% ACV. I left it on for 3-5 minutes and I could feel a slight irritation. I did it on my hand and bicep. Could it be the ACV? Or the Henna? I am hoping its the ACV. Would anyone have any other alternatives to ACV? Is there anything I could add to the mix that wouldn't affect the dye release or color uptake, but be be more gentler on my skin? I have chamomile tea, lemon juice, aloe gel at home. What would you suggest?

I did try a skin test after mixing my Indigo and Amla and it wasnt near as bad. Also, I when I tried conventional dyes, my scalp didn't burn but when I got a drop on my forehead one time, the skin broke out quickly. So I do know my skin is more sensitive then my scalp in some regards.

Thanks so much!

serious
August 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's ACV!

Mix your henna with water and do the skin test again, that's how you'll see if it was henna or not. Than, try the chamomile tea.

Hope that helps, good luck!:)

xfan
August 21st, 2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's ACV!

Mix your henna with water and do the skin test again, that's how you'll see if it was henna or not. Than, try the chamomile tea.

Hope that helps, good luck!:)

How strong does the tea need to be? Like how many tea bags?

Thanks again!

little_cherry
August 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
Yep, the ACV probably irritated your skin.

I'd just mix henna with warm water with a tiny bit of acid (1tsp acid to 2 cups warm water.) I get a strong dye release this way.

hmmm
August 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM
You only really need to mix it with water. The dye will release anyway, even if you don't add any acid.

Heidi_234
August 21st, 2010, 02:11 AM
xfan, the mix should be acidic, but not overly acidic. If your water is alkaline it's recommended to add something acidic. You can make sure what kind of water you use by using bottled water. It says the pH level on the label. If it's above 7 pH, then you could mix 1-2 tablespoons of ACV in the water. You can also use herbal tea (most popular for henna mixes is chamomile tea, also hibiscus tea is said to boost red tones). If it's not in tea bags, then couple of teaspoons steeped in hot water will do, in tea bags I suppose 2 teabags are good enough. Let it steep until the is merely warm to the touch - which would let it steep for enough time to make it nicely acidic.

caribou55313
August 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM
With your scalp problems you should not use anything as acidic as 100% ACV anyway. I agree with using plain water for maximum gentleness in your case, or as Heidi suggests, just a small amount of added acid.

MandyBeth
August 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
Celebration doesn't release with distilled water only, tried that. But it's good with chamomille tea.

ChloeDharma
August 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I was plaining to do my first Henna tonight but i did a skin test with a smaller amount first and I found my skin got irritated. I just mixed Celebration Henna from Mehandi.com with 100% ACV. I left it on for 3-5 minutes and I could feel a slight irritation. I did it on my hand and bicep. Could it be the ACV? Or the Henna? I am hoping its the ACV. Would anyone have any other alternatives to ACV? Is there anything I could add to the mix that wouldn't affect the dye release or color uptake, but be be more gentler on my skin? I have chamomile tea, lemon juice, aloe gel at home. What would you suggest?

I did try a skin test after mixing my Indigo and Amla and it wasnt near as bad. Also, I when I tried conventional dyes, my scalp didn't burn but when I got a drop on my forehead one time, the skin broke out quickly. So I do know my skin is more sensitive then my scalp in some regards.

Thanks so much!

Oh i never realised you meant you mixed the henna with just ACV, not diluted in water. Wow ok.....yeah i only add a splash of ACV to henna that has already been mixed with water so maybe that does explain why you got the irritation. God your mix must have smelt rank!

CrisDee
August 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
With 100% ACV, it's a good thing you didn't put it on your head, the fumes would have burned your eyes. Yup, just a splash of acid, the rest water - some use distilled, I use filtered. Good luck with your next test! :flower:

LaurelSpring
August 21st, 2010, 08:10 AM
I cant use ACV or lemon juice. They both make me itch. I use catnip tea. I steep 1 tsp in a cup of water, but that is mostly because I want the blonde out of it. Sometimes I just take the regular tea out of the fridge and use that. I have put in a splash of cranberry juice or some wine. These have all worked just fine. Just a regular cup of tea should do.

MandyBeth
August 21st, 2010, 08:19 AM
Tea dilution in a highly scientific method. Nuke 1 cup of water with tea bag for 3 minutes. Take bag out, let water cool to about lukewarm. Mix with henna and more water. No tap water here as I have rocks for water.

VanillaTresses
August 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
It is more likely than not because you were using 100% ACV. When I have used 100% vinegar, or even a strong dilution of vinegar, as part of a no shampoo baking soda and vinegar experiment, it was strong enough to make my scalp and facial skin sting. Even worse if it is gotten anywhere near the eyes!!

I use 100% warm (not hot) water in my henna mixes. I have found that if you give it time to dye release, you will get pretty much the same results. Acidic solutions only seem to initially speed up the dye release, in my opinion. So if you are a sensitive-skinned individual, water seems to be a good way to go.

If you are bent on having an acidic liquid, something like strongly brewed tea (as mentioned earlier) will do. Also, I have heard that people sensitive to lemon juice or ACV in the henna mix can try mixing in a splash of orange juice instead. It seems to be not quite as strong as the lemon juice. Make since, as it doesn't pack quite the puckering punch on your taste buds as pure lemon juice does! :)

Good luck!