PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Braid Waves = Massive Frizz!

Cheeks1206
August 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if I just go about it in the wrong way, but I can never get nice braid waves! That isn't to say there aren't many things that could be working against me, of course. This is what I did last night: I did double french braids on wet hair; I chose two because it has more of a chance to dry when I have two, opposed to one. After waking up this morning, I noticed they were still a little damp, so I diffused them without taking them out on low setting, medium heat. Once they felt reasonably dry I took them out, all the while trying to be as gentle as possible. Once out of the braids it was fuzzy looking around the ends, so I rubbed quite a bit of olive oil through my hair, focusing mainly on the ends. That didn't really work how I wanted it to, I was still very frizzy looking, so I pulled it half back and secured with two little claw clip and went on my merry way to work. Once at work I realized that I looked like Hermione on crack, so I did a modified Gibson Tuck with my two claw clips and proceeded to forget about it.

After putting in the oil, shouldn't my hair have had beautiful, shining, frizz-free braid waves? That's what all the pictures here lead me to believe. :p Could the two braids be the problem? Or the fact that my hair is just past APL and probably not quite heavy enough to weigh it down? This seems plausible as it tends to get a little riotous with my natural curls at times. Any other ideas?

clichepithet
August 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Haven't the slightest. But I can say that my hair never looks nice with braid waves. Like you said, it frizzes out. Though I can usually hold a nice, actual curl with little issue. :shrug:

I wish I could look as nice as Hermonie on crack... and still do a fast Gibson...

julliams
August 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have wavy hair but I find that french braids don't work for me. Actually I had the most success with a single plait (braid) down the back. I put it in wet and slept on it and took it out in the morning. It left my hair relatively frizz free and the waves were bigger. I have thick hair and so my plait is quite wide.

Cheeks1206
August 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
In all fairness, I did have to re-do the tuck once before it looked presentable. Before that I had bits sticking up and out of it all over the place. But, yeah, the frizz was completely out of control. I don't get how some people get such nice braid waves.

Cheeks1206
August 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have wavy hair but I find that french braids don't work for me. Actually I had the most success with a single plait (braid) down the back. I put it in wet and slept on it and took it out in the morning. It left my hair relatively frizz free and the waves were bigger. I have thick hair and so my plait is quite wide.

I'm thinking they don't work for me, either! Nor do dutch braids. I'll have to give the single plait a try. That may be my experiment for this weekend.

Aleria
August 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hmm I have had super frizz when I took my hair out of a ton of tiny braids, but only two shouldn't have caused that. As long as you didn't brush or comb them, I don't see why it would have, maybe the heat? Blow dryers make my hair go frizz-crazy.
It may just be your natural curl pattern fighting with the braid waves?
I'm out of guesses, let someone more experienced guess now XD

Heidi_234
August 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
You can try applying oil before putting your hair in the braid. This or anything that could help fight frizz - shea butter, hair gel, aloe vera gel, frizzbuster (1 part aloe vera gel, 1 part oil - credit to GladToBeMom :) ), or anything you know that usually keeps your hair sane. 2c/3a is easy to modify and shape when wet, but it also frizzes like nobody's business if on its own.

virgo75
August 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
My hair can do ok braidwaves if I use a protein heavy conditioner or leave-in before braiding. Using coconut oil before braiding helps too.
And I have to let it air dry 100% or it has no definition and poofs.

I can't really add oil afterwards, well, maybe a tiny bit of coconut oil, but if I add a little conditioner it can help hold the style more. Almost like a leave-in styler. Regular stylers make my hair hard, crunchy, and dry.

Not sure if that helps. lol

Cheeks1206
August 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Hmm. So yesterday I had my hair in two small lace braids that were close to my hairline and then the rest of my hair was in a loose french braid. It was put up while wet, allowed to dry and left up through running and sleeping last night. This morning I took them out, not being any more or less careful than usual, and I have some pretty decent waves. The waves around my face are small, almost like they were done with a crimped, but they still look nice and smooth. I put some olive oil on to smooth things out and add shine. I'm not sure what I did but it seems to have worked.