PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Gray

Anisaa
August 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone!!! I am a bit :mad: because I am noticing several gray hairs.. My hair is naturally dark brown so dark it looks black and I looove my natural hair color. I have not dyed my hair and I am really sad that I am going to have to start dying it soon because of all these gray hairs :(. My hair is about 3 inches below my bra strap, my goal is waist length. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives to color the gray without using chemicals on my hair. I might use henna, however, I do not want my hair red, I want it a dark brown.. Thank you all so much..<3

chelseamichelle
August 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
You could use the LUSH caca brun henna, if that's not dark enough you can mix it with caca noir.

I use these hennas and i'm in love :) They have all the benefits of henna, but you wont have to worry about your hair turning red.

http://www.lush.com

My hair is freshly hennaed in my siggy

I highly recommend it!

Anisaa
August 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I will definitely look into it. Thank you and your hair looks BEAUTIFUL!!

chelseamichelle
August 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I will definitely look into it. Thank you and your hair looks BEAUTIFUL!!

Thank you! You can PM me if you have any questions about how i use it :) Good luck

Jenn of Pence
August 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
It may sound silly, but just letting it be grey is always an option...
I'm a brunette with some interesting natural highlights. I like my color a lot, but I've been getting the occasional grey hair for about five years now (I'm only 28!). I've always been firm that I wouldn't dye because it would take so long to grow off (caveat: I'd love to have purple hair as long as it would fade on it's own in a reasonable amount of time!). And I guess to me the shock of dyeing for years and suddenly deciding to stop and having a huge line across my head seems worse than getting a handful of greys each year for twenty years or something.

Well, that's just me...all that said, these natural dyes can give some awesome-looking results! The gloss you can get is quite amazing. You should do whatever you prefer, of course, and I think you could have real success. :)

Qwerty Uiop
August 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Gray doesn't always come in at a predictable rate. My grandmother was snow white by the time she was 30 so I was warned early and jokes about dyeing abounded.

Sure enough, I noticed the first few silver hairs long before my 25th birthday.

I'm 45 now and can't even muster up a "bride of Frankenstein streak". I'm kind of annoyed because I was looking forward to being able to do outrageous colours like blue and purple without having to bleach, but I don't have any more gray than I did ten years ago which isn't significantly more than I had ten years before that.

Anyway, it's your hair but I just thought I'd throw that out there since you say you only noticed "several". You may have plenty of time left to decide what to do about it.

christine1989
August 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I have heard that seasame oil can darken hair and I have also heard that coconut oil can reduce or even stop graying in some cases. If you really start getting gray then indigo henna is probobly the best way to go since it is much better for your hair than chemical dye.

zule
August 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
You say you "have" to dye your hair because of several grey hairs. Why are you compelled to do that? Everyone can tell you're dying it, so it's not like you're fooling anyone into thinking it's natural. Why not keep it natural? If you think grey hair is aging, remember that dark hair can be aging as your coloring changes with maturity. You might think about going lighter, or red with henna, but you definitely don't "have" to do anything with your hair.

Like Qwerty, I saw some whites young, but over 35 years later, have hardly any at all. It's disturbing, because I'd always envisioned a head of snowy white or silver hair. At this rate, I'll be 70 before it does anything exciting. So I'm seconding that it might not turn silver/grey/white anytime soon.

Lize
August 21st, 2010, 02:43 AM
Hi there. I second of course that you might not HAVE to dye your hair because of the gray hairs. I think grey/silver hair is beautiful.

If you do decide to dye it here's an article from the Article Section about henna. The author shares a few links and also some information on indigo. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7

Anisaa
August 22nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thank You for sharing that, that would be great for the greying to stop :D