PDA

View Full Version : Braid thickness and layers - layer newby question

masa_inn
August 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I got layers cut in this January; for the first time in many, many years; so I don't have much experience with layered cuts. I don't really like them (anyone here does? :D) and growing them out.

The question is: does layering affect one's braid thickness? I did an English braid today and my tassel looks kinda pitiful. Plus there is rather noticeable tapering going on. Can I blame it on layers?

slythwolf
August 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Yes. The layers are shorter than the rest of your hair, so they don't run the full length of your braid.

MissManda
August 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am growing out layers and bangs and my braid tapers. I think the shorter pieces of hair have something to do with it as well, but I could be wrong. My tassel is also considerably thinner than i would like. My braids go from a bit over 4 inches to between 2-2.75 inches (depending on where I put the hairtie so I don't always leave it in the same spot) and I hope that doing small self-trims will help with this issue.

I also hate how all of those little hairs stick out about halfway down, but it's nothing that a little AVG or coconut oil can't handle. :)

chopandchange
August 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yep. Layers are awful the way they affect braids. I can't wait to get rid of my layers!

Not only do they make your braid taper (i.e. get thinner on the way down) but they also mean that bits of hair stick out of the braid because they're too short to make it all the way down. This makes a braid look messy as opposed to looking neat and tidy.

Grrr.

twilight_faerie
August 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, your braid gets smaller and wimpier as it progresses downward. I know because that's what my braids are like. :rolleyes: And I get little pieces of hair sticking out of the braid from a certain point downward, too. Keeping the tassel really long cuts down on that, though.

*Aoife*
August 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah. It's the layers fault. I'm growing out layers and the ends of my braids are too long becuase one section is always massivly longer than the other two.

And the sticky out hairs are awful too!

Juneii
August 20th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Of course, when you have layers there will be a lot of strands of different length and dramatically decrease the thickness of your braid :( not to mention it makes it REALLY difficult for braids to stay in.

masa_inn
August 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you, ladies; that makes sense.

/proceeds to Layer Complainers thread/

MissManda
August 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I can't begin to describe how difficult it is for a French braid to stay in my hair properly. My hair constantly wants to escape and if I let them, strands will eventually squeeze themselves free (my bangs and shortest layers). Interestingly, I don't have this problem with Dutch braids. Maybe it's because I'm braiding under rather than over.

I find that wearing a mid-high ponytail and braiding it reduces taper a little bit.

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I think that it does effect the thickness and texture of your braid. As others here have stated. I noticed that my braids began to "thicken" up once my hair became all one length again. This was no doubt due to having more hair to add into the braid. It becomes most evident as your progress toward the ends.