PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning - wet or dry?

estherbeth
August 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
When you do a deep conditioning on your hair, do you apply conditioner while your hair is dry? Or do you wet it first? Does wet or dry it make a difference on how well your hair slurps up the moisture and nutrients?

Also, how long do you tend to leave the conditioner on? Is there a certain point of time where it just doesn't matter if you leave it on longer than that?

Yozhik
August 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hi :)

You can either apply a conditioning treatment to your hair wet or dry -- members here do it either way, and I've done both with good results. I think maybe the largest difference is if you apply it to wet hair, it's usually kind of drippy, so you need to put it in a plastic bag or shower cap while it's conditioning. When applied to dry hair, it's easier to go around and do whatever (sometimes I just make a bun after glopping it in, and then go about my day).

I've left conditioning treatments in for as long as overnight, but I think that anywhere from 1-3 hours is normal. I don't think there's that big of an improvement after 3 hours.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the community :flower:

jera
August 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I apply conditioner on wet hair hair, except the conditioning I prepare for my spritzer bottle. Spray it on dry hair throughout the day if you need it. :)
For me, wet hair seems to absorb moisture better. My hair is rough and almost repels moisture if it's dry.

Kathie
August 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm a fan of dry hair applications. I feel more confident that I've covered all my hair this way. Also my deep conditioning treatments are heavy coconut oilings which happen before a wash. If I wet my hair before the oiling thats another step in an already longish process :stirpot:

Jenn of Pence
August 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Ooh, there are compelling arguments for both cases... I have done an SMT both ways, but unfortunately not with the same conditioner, so I can't compare directly. I like putting the conditioning treatment on when wet, especially if I clarify beforehand. I don't use coconut oil much (not my hair's fave) but when I do I prefer my hair dry or I will overapply. That being said, if it's a deep treatment you are going to apply more anyway.

So it appears my preference is damp, but I don't have a scientific argument for why that's better. ;) I also agree (based on my opinion, not scientific fact ;)) that there is some limit to how long is useful. As mentioned previously, one to three hours sounds reasonable to me.

Cleopatra18
August 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I do it on dry hair becaue im too lazy,and the washing process is already long enough.I find the best results when i do it overnight.I read somewhere that if your hair doesnt feel like butter while you're rinsing the deep conditioner out,then you have done it wrong.:shrug:

estherbeth
August 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Yozhik! And thank you all for sharing your experiences. I did it dry this time to see how it works out. :redgrin:

CurlAhead
August 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I apply it in soaking wet hair, because I keep telling my self that the conditioner will "lock" the water/moisture in my hair.. :D

virgo75
August 20th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I apply a deep treatment on hair that has been washed and towel dried to about 75% dry.
That way there's moisture to be "locked in" as CurlAhead suggested but not so much that it's watering down the conditioner. ;)

McFearless
August 20th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Damp hair. Dry enough so the DT isn't diluted..but wet enough to make the application easy.

.:Alma:.
August 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM
Damped hair (with a water spray) and only from ears down.
From an hour to all day.