PDA

View Full Version : My First Fishtail Braid

Joliebaby
August 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Oh wow! It wasn't hard at all I think. I used to think it was super complicated to make. Though this was my very first one and it is a bit wonky and I left the tassel quite long... I have those layers darn it.
I have always loved how fishtail braids look and now I can have them in my own hair!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79848
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79847
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79849

Jenn of Pence
August 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
That's great! I haven't tried this braid yet, but maybe I should! ;)
Your braid is so thick and pretty...I always like looking at your signature pic. :D

Gumball
August 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Congrats! You did a fantastic job! Those braids aren't particularly tough. They're just really time consuming, especially on longer lengths. They really do look good, too, yours especially included!

Carolyn
August 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I've never thought I could do one on my own hair. Maybe I should give it a try. I love that messy casual look so much.

katha
August 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Mine always turn out weird when I braid them loosely, but yours looks really nice!

Nevada Rose
August 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Oh wow! It wasn't hard at all I think. I used to think it was super complicated to make. Though this was my very first one and it is a bit wonky and I left the tassel quite long... I have those layers darn it.
I have always loved how fishtail braids look and now I can have them in my own hair!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79848
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79847
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=79849

I think the fishtail is the most beautiful braid. Your braid is gorgeous.:)

Nevada Rose
August 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
How did you learn to do a fishtail? Maybe I'll check Youtube later. They might have a tutorial.

Coffeebug
August 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I love fishtails but can never get them to work right on me. It looks so nice on you - really bohemian and pretty.

cmnt831
August 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Very nice! :) I've never been able to successfully make a full one like you did. I've only been able to make a nice-looking one with a half-up.

Nevada Rose, I learned how to do one from watching Loepsie's tutorial on youtube. I'm sure if you go to youtube and do a search several tutorials will come up.

Kome
August 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Nice job! And I like your shirt. ^__^

Yozhik
August 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice herringbone! :)

I love the way they look, and it looks especially nice on you, with all of that gorgeously thick hair.

Joliebaby
August 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone!! Next time I will try to do smaller sections. I had no idea how it was going to look, I was sitting talking to my brother and his girlfriend while my DD was taking a nap and I just thought, hey, I should try the fishtail braid now :D

How did you learn to do a fishtail? Maybe I'll check Youtube later. They might have a tutorial.

I just figured it out myself. After hearing you need TWO not three strands to start with, the rest was easy LOL :o!!

little_acorn
August 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup: awesome braid

LunarAurora
August 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
The top of the braid is very nice, whereas it is the most difficult thing to so with such a braid :) Congrats !

Juneii
August 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
It looks so elegant on you :) congrats!

schweedie
August 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's really gorgeous! Like LunarAurora said, the top of the braid looks so good. Every time I attempt a fishtail braid I fail, because I can't get past the first few crossings.

I really love the thick sections you've done. Damn it, I want your braid! :p

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I wish my fishtail were as thick as yours :o
That is an excellent first! I give it 2 thumbs and a cheesy dude! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cheese:

CurlAhead
August 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Nice work, they look so difficult so make. And you hair looks so thick, aaggghh! Love it!

EtherealOde
August 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
What a super job! Are you sure you didn't practice for a few days before doing that??? You have skills!

Loreley
August 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM
It looks great! Congrats! :D

CrisDee
August 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
That looks awesome! :flower:

You inspired me to go over to YouTube to learn how to do that, and you're right, it does look easy! Can't wait til my hair's long enough to try it :)

emmabovary
August 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
What a pretty, thick braid! :)

Joliebaby
August 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much for your nice comments about my herringbone!!
Maybe it helps that I work with my hands a lot hehe :) though I really felt like this was easy-peasy. That if I put some real effort in it, I could'a made it much nicer :D Where I run into trouble though I think is when I have to bring the braid across my shoulder to the front and not make it twist at that point.

triumphator!
August 22nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I love it, it is so thick! Your hair is like, the perfect thickness and texture for big elegant braids.

ericthegreat
August 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
You did a great job for someone who is still learning. Your fishtail isn't half bad at all. The next time you do a fishtail braid, make sure you take thinner sections of hair and keep those sections thin as you cross them over each other. The wonkiness you have that is making the braid go to the side slightly is because some of the sections you took are thicker than the other sections. Make sure your sections are both thin and even and your fishtail braid will come out wonderful!

Joliebaby
August 23rd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Okay here's my second attempt just this morning! I wish I didn't have those layers so i could braid a bit longer - though my arms were starting to cramp at this point! The tassel is shorter in this second one though I think, and I tried to make thinner sections!!! It gets tempting after a while to do thicker and thicker hehe..

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5799&pictureid=80111

christine1989
August 23rd, 2010, 01:28 AM
That's a fantastic braid! Fishtail braids are my favorite type.

Nevada Rose
August 23rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
Very nice! :) I've never been able to successfully make a full one like you did. I've only been able to make a nice-looking one with a half-up.

Nevada Rose, I learned how to do one from watching Loepsie's tutorial on youtube. I'm sure if you go to youtube and do a search several tutorials will come up.

Thank you, and I did exactly that! I learned the 5 strand braid and did one this evening. Of course it was strange for me as I separated the 5 strands against my chest. There is no way I could have done this braid in the back.:cool:

Also watched the tutorials for the fishtail. It is easier than I thought. Easier yet if the braid is done on someone elses hair. I just need more practice.:poot:

Lassie
August 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Beautiful! Your hair is so wonderfully thick
Well done :)

cmnt831
August 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Okay here's my second attempt just this morning! I wish I didn't have those layers so i could braid a bit longer - though my arms were starting to cramp at this point! The tassel is shorter in this second one though I think, and I tried to make thinner sections!!! It gets tempting after a while to do thicker and thicker hehe..

Wow! It looks really good! I love how thick your braid is, too. I so need to practice on my own one. :)

Thank you, and I did exactly that! I learned the 5 strand braid and did one this evening. Of course it was strange for me as I separated the 5 strands against my chest. There is no way I could have done this braid in the back.:cool:

Also watched the tutorials for the fishtail. It is easier than I thought. Easier yet if the braid is done on someone elses hair. I just need more practice.:poot:

I thought it was pretty easy, too. I can make an awesome half-up one, but the single braid down the back it still defeating me. And 5 strand is still in the distant future - I need to perfect the 3 strand first.... :p