PDA

View Full Version : What to do when braiding turns dangerous?

christine1989
August 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I have read quite a few posts on here by members who have trouble braiding because their hair is too thin, to short, too layered, too thick etc... I have trouble braiding too but it is because I get lightheaded and sometimes faint when I try to braid my hair :(. The braiding itself is no trouble but whenever I start doing a braid I quickly start to feel dizzy as if no blood circulation is getting to my head. If I keep braiding I usually fall into the nearest wall or black out altogether- it is soooo frustrating because I love braids. Nothing like this ever happens to me except when I attempt a braid so I am really perplexed.

Does anyone else have this issue? Why might this be happening and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Gypsygirl
August 20th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Sounds like low blood pressure to me... When the blood pressure is not sufficient, sudden movements can result in your brain cells not receiving enough oxygen and nutrients, which can cause you to feel lightheaded and dizzy or even faint... The typical thing is going from a sitting or lying position to a standing position- that brings out those symptoms for many people. It occurs because standing causes blood to "settle" in the veins of the lower body, and this can lower the blood pressure. If the blood pressure is already low, standing can make the low pressure worse, to the point of causing symptoms. Lifting your arms in order to braid your hair could be an issue, too.
Try sitting down while braiding. If that doesn't help, talk to your doctor.

Hotrox
August 20th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Ohhh, you may be compressing your carotid artery and restricting blood flow to your brain while plaiting. You are probably highly sensitive to this, I get it if I hold a phone to my ear with my shoulder (I passed out doing this and this is what my doctor said was the probable cause!)

If you are sensitive to this, there may not be a lot you can do about it, except trying to keep you shoulders relaxed and taking breaks every few minutes or so

LILBERT
August 20th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Maybe its low blood pressure, in which case id get it checked with the doctor. I sometimes go dizzy when i braid, mostly if ive got up suddenly to do it or if ive held my arms up too long they go numb. Non of them are an actual problem with braiding though. Its an underlying problem that the braiding aggrevates.

SolSara
August 20th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Can you do it while sitting down? Makes it a difference if you start the braid at another spot (higher/lower/at the side)? I guess there might not be much to do about it, more than to adapt and not put yourself in danger. I can braid myself alright, but I get extremely dizzy when someone else is doing my hair or face, and would faint in half a minute if standing up. Sitting down helps, but I still need to take breaks sometimes.. :rolleyes:

Chiara
August 20th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Oh, you are reminding me that I used to get dizzy when braiding, particularly when doing things like dutch or french braids which meant that I had to hold my hands and arms up. I always put it down to low blood pressure, but I'm not sure if that's the cause. I just know that I tend to have low blood pressure- means that I get light-headed if I stand up to fast from sitting or bending over.
In theory, apparently, you could tense the big muscles in your thighs, and this will cause your blood pressure to increase. I have never actually got to try this, as usually when I get dizzy I am too vague to remember what to do!

Gypsygirl
August 20th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Oh, if it's really only low blood pressure, then having a cup of strong coffee right before braiding would probably do the trick for you! ;)

Squeak toy
August 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Sounds like a blood pressure problem, but letting you doctor know should be your first step. Keeping well hydrated will help and as soon as you feel dizzy put your head lower than your heart, like between your knees and more blood will go right to it.

spidermom
August 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
How tight are you pulling? (something to consider)

Anje
August 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Another thing to try is, when you start to feel at all dizzy, hold where you are with one hand and drop your shoulder down (so it's not scrunched near your neck), and let your other arm go to your side. Shake out the free arm a bit. (This also helps if your arms get tired trying to braid or do updos, until you get used to it/fast at it.)

I suspect you're scrunching your shoulders in at your neck too much. You should be able to reach your head with your hands with your shoulders relaxed and upper arms parallel to the floor. You might raise them higher than that for a while, but be sure to let them drop back to that position, just lightly holding your hair with your fingertips, if you start to feel dizzy.

triumphator!
August 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
You could try hanging your head off the bed to braid, maybe that would help since you can't faint in a prone position? I get dizzy easily too, I feel your pain :(

eezepeeze
August 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Sometimes when I do difficult braids, I will start to feel a little light headed. Usually it is because I have been concentrating too hard to remember to breathe. I find if I take a few deep breaths, I'll feel better.

Does it happen any other time you have your arms raised above your head, such as putting dishes away, hanging laundry, washing your hair, etc.? If so, I would schedule an appt. with your doc to make sure there is nothing serious going on.

JenniferNoel
August 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Ah, I am all too familiar with this. I faint a lot. Almost every other day. Usually in the mornings.
Bunning for me is hard enough that I don't really do any of it.
For the same reason I cannot french braid. :(

chopandchange
August 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I've never heard of this happening to anyone when they braid their hair! Sorry to hear of your problem! :(

Are you putting your head upside-down to braid? I can't see how just lifting your arms up could cause this. :confused:

Yozhik
August 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I suspect this has to do with holding your hands above your head for long periods of time :( I second triumphator!'s suggestion of attempting a braid while you're prone.

Katurday
August 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I suggest you try out the blood pressure thing by having someone else braid you. It could be pressure on your head by the braid that's causing this. I know my arms go numb if I braid.

Igor
August 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Are you standing up when you braid? Have you tried sitting instead?

kwaniesiam
August 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Does this happen when you try to do other things that require you to lift your arms? I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

Astarte_1980
October 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I would go to the docter

AreWild
October 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I, too, think it's either low blood pressure or something along the lines of what Anje described. If you get lightheaded or tend to faint at other times, try to get in with a doctor for a general check up to make sure nothing is going on. I'd give Anje's suggestion a try though. Make sure you aren't always holding your head at an awkward angle to braid, as that could put odd pressure on the blood flow through your neck. And definitely work on it sitting down in the middle of the bed or somewhere you can't easily fall from, just in case.

Anniekins
October 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I have this issue too. I have a form of dysautonomia and having my arms above my heart makes me dizzy and nauseous and sometimes even causes me to gray out so I usually try to braid with my elbows on a table and just rest or restart if it get to be too much. Honestly a French braid is not worth it unless I can get someone else to do it for me. You should have that checked out though. It is not normal (to pass out or feel like you will doing normal activities) though a lot of people have a hard time at first because their muscles are not used to it. For most people it gets easier.

bumblebums
October 16th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Ohhh, you may be compressing your carotid artery and restricting blood flow to your brain while plaiting. You are probably highly sensitive to this, I get it if I hold a phone to my ear with my shoulder (I passed out doing this and this is what my doctor said was the probable cause!)

If you are sensitive to this, there may not be a lot you can do about it, except trying to keep you shoulders relaxed and taking breaks every few minutes or so

That sounds like a plausible explanation. I suspect it might be anatomical and related to how flexible your shoulders are. Can you do this with your arms?

http://www.active.com/Assets/Mind+$%2126+Body/CowFaceBack.jpg (http://www.active.com/Assets/Mind+$%2126+Body/CowFaceBack.jpg)

If not, then you might be tipping your head forward in order to reach the back, and that might be causing the carotid compression Hotrox referred to. Maybe working on flexibility would help.

Aeltt
October 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I feel dizzy too when i braid, and i have low blood pressure... I've never thought it could be linked though.

Like Hotrox wrote, i take breaks when i braid.. If it doesn't help you should maybe see a doctor ?