PDA

View Full Version : Chronic dry ends

christine1989
August 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM
For the past few weeks my ends (which are usually in good health) have been REALLY dry. I have tried everything to moisturize them from coconut oil to castor oil and even jojoba and deep conditioning but nothing makes a difference. My initial response was that it needed a trim but after searching for split ends for over an hour and coming up empty I am having second thoughts about trimming.

Has anyone had their ends dry out so suddenly like this? What could be causing such a sudden dry out and can it be fixed? :confused:

09robiha
August 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
If I use a product with gylcerin my hair dries out like nothing else.
It could be the weather?
Maybe try leavin condish on them overnight in a bun to get a really good soaking??

Teazel
August 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Might be a protein disaster (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17)?

patience
August 20th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Have you tried to clarify? It could just be buildup.

Aleria
August 20th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Mine did this a month or so ago, after going nearly a year without a trim. I got an inch and a half off and it's softer than ever.
Try the other suggestions first though ;)

Gypsygirl
August 20th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I agree with Teazel and Patience- this sounds like a bad case of build-up. Maybe give clarifying shampoo with a little baking soda a shot...followed by SMT! :)

christine1989
August 20th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Thanks everyone! It never occured to me that piling on the oil might be aggrivating the dryness. I'm heading for the shower tommorow morning with clarifying shampoo in hand! :) Hopefully it will work and save me from having to trim.

LouLaLa
August 20th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I agree with Teazel and Patience- this sounds like a bad case of build-up. Maybe give clarifying shampoo with a little baking soda a shot...followed by SMT! :)

Seconded. SMT can save pretty much anything! You could also buy kids detangler spray, i find that helps me tame unruly ends.
I also dip mine in olive oil or honey now and leave to dry, then wash out- ive found it prevents dryness, might not suit everyone though.

Gypsygirl
August 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Good luck, Christine, keep us posted! :)

klcqtee
August 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Have you tried to clarify? It could just be buildup.

I'd say clarify. If that doesn't help, do an EVOO soak. It's my magic cure for crunchy, weird ends.

Fairlight63
August 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I tried to find the SMT receipe but couldn't find it. Could some one please post the link? Thanks!

missmagoo
August 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I've found that coconut oil can kind of build up on my ends if I'm not careful. Sometimes co-washing rather than shampoo is actually more helpful (I think something about the oil breaking down the oil)

Jenn of Pence
August 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I'm also having a bout of dry, Velcro ends, so I feel your pain! Before the enlightening of LHC I thought that was the end of the line for my ends and always got a trim. At least now I know there is a course of action before getting out the scissors. :D I did a clarify and one quick SMT earlier this week, and I plan to do another SMT this weekend; I hope I am able to keep it on longer this time.
Good luck with your end rehab! :)

HintOfMint
August 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Like everyone said, clarify.

As a general rule, the moisturizing treatments don't work when there is buildup, which is probably why all the treatments simply didn't take.

Coffeebug
August 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
If clarifying doesn't work the first time, try it again cos it can sometimes take a couple of goes to shift severe build up.

Yozhik
August 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I was having this problem too, and was seriously considering trimming until I clarified -- poof! and my ends were better again :magic:

wanderwoot
August 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hmm, I am having this problem too. My ends are super dry! How should I clarify -- do I just use my normal shampoo? I have never clarified before, but I also never shampoo my ends so its very likely to be build up.

deko
August 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
If the clarify routine doesn't work you could trim just a little bit (2 mm / 1/10 inch) and try again. A little dusting can work magic!

Leave the oilings for a while and clarify, use a SMT or similar deep treatment. Lose the protein conditioners for a while and focus to add moisture to your hair. I use coffee butter for now and my ends feel wonderfull :)

Teazel
August 22nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hmm, I am having this problem too. My ends are super dry! How should I clarify -- do I just use my normal shampoo? I have never clarified before, but I also never shampoo my ends so its very likely to be build up.

Look for a shampoo with "Clarifying" on the label. A clarifying shampoo is designed to strip your hair completely, so you might want to plan to do a moisturing treatment immediately afterwards.

Some people use baking soda, but I can't tell you the method for that as I've never done it.

AstrayStar
August 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I am having similar problem! The last couple weeks my ends just dried right up, I am guessing from so much swimming and the heat! Anyway, I tried clarifying and didn't help and tried smt and didn't really help, so I tried smt again added a bit of castor oil and then slept overnight in a baggie and toque and my hair in the morning was soooo much better!

the traditional smt I belive was 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe

Good luck!!!! Hth!

ETA- Just noticed Teazels comment about the baking soda. That is what I do to clarify, since I haven't shampooed in over 3 years. Works best if you use 1tbsp per cup of water.

christine1989
August 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I clairified twice and that really seemed to help a lot. They are still a little dry but getting better. I think an excess of jojoba oil may have had something to do with it- it seems to give my hair a very synthetic feel even if it does moisturize well.

wanderwoot
August 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
ETA- Just noticed Teazels comment about the baking soda. That is what I do to clarify, since I haven't shampooed in over 3 years. Works best if you use 1tbsp per cup of water.

Ok -- I will try this! So you put it all over -- your ends as well, not just your scalp? I assume so as its the ends I was to clarify. I don't want to buy a whole new shampoo just for this, as I'm trying to cut down on commercial products (I'm already about to break down and buy a conditioner). I suppose I will if it comes to it but it seems like a waste and it will probably take me about ten years to use up! :p

PiroskaCicu
August 23rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
I say SMT! Leave it in for a long time, wash out and then after if it's still dry... do a little trim on the ends.