PDA

View Full Version : What has happened (hairgrowth)

CurlAhead
August 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if eating food that is rich on protein could help the hair grow?

My hair only grows about 0.5 cm/month (=0.2 inch/month), and I feel that is just too little. :(

I have a feeling my hair grew faster before, I got from just above the breasts to waist in 2(or maybe 2,5 years) and that is about 30 cm(=11.81 inch).

I have also recently received comments about my hair growth, that it is unusually slow. :shrug:

I can see now how much it grows by looking at my outgrowth(?) from coloring it about 5 months ago, and it has just grown about 1 inch since then.

What can I do?

tanya222
August 19th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Protein is great, also look into supplemental silica. I used to buy it but can't afford it right now as I only work parttime, but if you research it it is highly touted for healthy hair and nail growth, healthy skin, etc. It is also found in oats, cucumbers and some other foods I can't think of right now.

Are you under alot of stress? That could affect hair growth rate. :)

Drarra
August 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Protein is great, also look into supplemental silica.

Would food grade diatomaceous earth work for this?

tanya222
August 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Would food grade diatomaceous earth work for this?

Hm, I'm really not sure. I've heard of using DE for fleas on your dog or cat, to be honest I've never heard of food grade DE. You mean people can actually safely eat the stuff? I know you're not supposed to breathe it in....

Me, I just used to buy liquid silica gel at the health food store. But it's like $25 for a large bottle (I'm in Canada).

CherrySilver
August 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
It's really important that you eat a well-balanced diet and to try to get your nutrients from food sources. Hair definitely needs protein to grow, along with minerals from dark leafy vegetables, beta-carotene rich foods, etc. Even teas (like horsetail) can provide silica to help hair grow.

You can always supplement protein if you'd like if you feel you're not getting enough. I also take a daily protein shake (along with a bunch of other nutritious stuff in it) which adds an extra 28gram of protein.

Below is a link which identifies protein rich foods and their gram value per amount:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Happy growing!

Qwackie
August 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I eat peanut butter. A lot of peanut butter. It's pretty high in protein, but I eat a lot of meat on top of it, and a lot of soy.
My hair grows incredibly slow, too, so I'm gonna stalk this thread a little...

Centaur
August 19th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Hm, I'm really not sure. I've heard of using DE for fleas on your dog or cat, to be honest I've never heard of food grade DE. You mean people can actually safely eat the stuff? I know you're not supposed to breathe it in....

Me, I just used to buy liquid silica gel at the health food store. But it's like $25 for a large bottle (I'm in Canada).

There is a whole thread on diatomaceous earth and taking it for its silica and benefits:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1220731#post1220731

christine1989
August 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Increasing protein intake will help ony if you are not getting enough now. I also hear that some people grow more hair with biotin (I use it to maintain thickness but it does little for growth rate). The only two things that have really increased my growth rate are iron suppliments and castor oil.

CurlAhead
August 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Thank you everyone for the answers, gosh I love this place! :cheer:
However, it might be a good idea to start with silica, does the brand matter?

Right now I eat iron supplements, but not because of my hair. And maybe I should try some sort of protein supplements? Or maybe peanut butter.. :hmm:
And I often a lot of chicken(!) and some meat (I am not a very big fan of meat), sometimes eggs and pretty often milk or cheese.

CherrySilver, what does proteinshake taste like? It is very hard for me to take vitamins in liquid form(?) :puke:

CurlAhead
January 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I have to bring this thread up again, because nothing has changed :( I dyed my hair in August/September 2010, and since then, my hair has grown 0,8 inch (2cm). In 4-5 months! So it is still 0,5 cm per month.. If even that..

I try to eat healthy to get all the vitamins I need, and I have increased my intake of milk and fruit (very much C-vitamins). I thought I was eating right/getting all the vitamins I need but I might be wrong, should I look for a supplement which covers all the vitamins and minerals? Cause my skin has also lost its "luster", and my hair has no energy. It almost looks sad!! :p What am I doing wrong? :(

jaine
January 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Maybe it's a seasonal difference? 1 inch in the past 5 months sounds really similar to what I have gotten too even though my overall growth rate is normal (6 inches/year). My hair grows really slow in the fall and winter - much faster in spring and summer.

mira-chan
January 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Have you gone to the doctor and tested for vitamin deficiencies or hormonal imbalance? If not, I'd suggest it.

My hair stopped growing and my skin stopped sweating or producing any of it's own oils due to a vitamin D deficiency.

rose.grace
January 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I think protein helps enormously. I've seen the difference in my own experience. Also, you might want to try Monistat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156). It's helped a lot of women's hair grow faster and thicker. It's a very long thread so be warned! Each of us is different so you never know what crazy seeming thing will help you.

Biotin, Vit B12 and daily scalp massages might help too.

Best of luck!

Kherome
January 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
2 things I can think of for you to try.

The first is increase your egg consumption. (If it is safe for you to do so, how's your Cholesterol level?) Eggs are a natural source of Biotin and won't cause the side effects you can get by taking it orally, plus any natural source is more effective than a suppliment source.

The second will depend on where you live. Dairy is a great thing, however I don't recommend homogenized pasturized cows milk from the store. I don't really want to go into the whole grossness of it all, but you can google to get the details on how bad homogenization is for you (heart damage), as well as pasturization. I worked on a dairy farm, and if you saw what goes into the bulk tank...
So what I recommend is raw goats milk. The taste is fabulous, it's very easily digested unlike cows milk, doesn't require homogenization at all, and the raw milk has been shown to help with a number of issues. I've got a good friend who has goats and drinks the raw milk because when she does she no longer has psoriasis. Hubby and I drink goats milk because he doesn't digest cows milk well, and we prefer the rich creamy taste. (Sort of like melted vanilla ice cream, just not as sweet mmmmmm) We also use goats milk soap.
I can't say enough about the goodness of goats milk. If you think about it, nature (who always knows best) makes this milk for the newest, most vulnerable creatures in the world. So it has to be really good, or they die. One of the first things you'll notice is baby goats raised on milk replacer (due to being orphaned or rejected etc) have a terrible hair coat. Baby goats on mama's milk get the softest, fluffiest hair! So we are total supporters of goats milk, especially in the raw. Your state may not allow you to purchase it though.

CurlAhead
January 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Maybe it's a seasonal difference? 1 inch in the past 5 months sounds really similar to what I have gotten too even though my overall growth rate is normal (6 inches/year). My hair grows really slow in the fall and winter - much faster in spring and summer.

I wish so was the case :( From Mars 2010 to August 2010 is had grown about 1 inch. And I didn't notice any difference during the summer. From August 2010 to January 2011 is has grown about 0.8 inch. :(
6 inches/year is a good growth, about 15 cm.. My growth in a year is about 2.6 inches. :p

dropinthebucket
January 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Could also be thyroid or digestive issues. I have recently begun to suspect that my own glacial growth is due to hypothyroidism, or a problem with properly absorbing food nutrients through the gut wall. Biotin, MSM, and silica have helped me a lot, I'm almost up to the normal .5/inch per month. But I have to take a ton of supplements to achieve it!

bunzfan
January 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I can say protein makes a lot of difference to the rate of growth of your hair since July last year i have gone from APL to just past BSL i credit this with my daily vitamin as well as eating Yoghurt daily (high in protein) and having peanut butter on toast every morning.

enfys
January 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM
If your growth has slowed that much, from average to less than a third that, I'd see a doctor. It doesn't matter if you eat a healthy diet if your body can't absorb what's in it, and if it's affecting your hair, think what damage could happen on your insides!

CurlAhead
January 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Have you gone to the doctor and tested for vitamin deficiencies or hormonal imbalance? If not, I'd suggest it.

My hair stopped growing and my skin stopped sweating or producing any of it's own oils due to a vitamin D deficiency.

No, I haven't, though I have been to the doctor for blood samples (september-10) and was told to come back one month later. Sadly, I forgot this so I called them about 2 weeks ago and took another blood sample (because the doctor said that my "level of thyroid" or something like that was higher than normal.. Or lower, don't remember). But, they haven't contacted me yet, so I am still waiting for a reply, but I might have to call them again since I have changed our health center to another.

I think protein helps enormously. I've seen the difference in my own experience. Also, you might want to try Monistat (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156). It's helped a lot of women's hair grow faster and thicker. It's a very long thread so be warned! Each of us is different so you never know what crazy seeming thing will help you.

Biotin, Vit B12 and daily scalp massages might help too.

Best of luck!

Thank you, I will see what I can do :stirpot:

Could also be thyroid or digestive issues. I have recently begun to suspect that my own glacial growth is due to hypothyroidism, or a problem with properly absorbing food nutrients through the gut wall. Biotin, MSM, and silica have helped me a lot, I'm almost up to the normal .5/inch per month. But I have to take a ton of supplements to achieve it!

Uhhm, yes! It sounds logical. As I replied to mira-chan, I took blood samples for my thyroid. But since the problems decreased just a little I thought the problem was solved. (Had major problems with feeling nauseas, lost weight, felt tired, was feeling dizzy all the time).. It has started coming back now, though not as bad as last year. Instead I have become really dark under my eyes, and as I said before, my skin has no longer any shine, and neither does my hair. Even my mom noticed it, but she thinks it is because I am doing the CO-method, but that's not why..
I have been lactose intolerant (I think, got cramps in my stomach when I drank milk) but I have been drinking milk without lactose for over a year now, so I don't react the same way "ordinary" milk, and I have read that longterm use of milk when being intolerant could make it harder for the gut wall to absorb nutrients.

I can say protein makes a lot of difference to the rate of growth of your hair since July last year i have gone from APL to just past BSL i credit this with my daily vitamin as well as eating Yoghurt daily (high in protein) and having peanut butter on toast every morning.

Where do you find Yoghurt high in protein? Or, how do you know? I am seriously thinking of trying peanut butter on my toast as well, might get some next week to start with..

bunzfan
January 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Where do you find Yoghurt high in protein? Or, how do you know? I am seriously thinking of trying peanut butter on my toast as well, might get some next week to start with..[/QUOTE]

I eat those ones http://www.danoneactivia.co.uk/ as they are good for your digestive health and i was told the pro active with contain more protein i used to eat 2 a day at one time:) try reading this http://www.quickcare.org/skin/foods-that-promote-hair-growth.html http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/naturalwayspro_spmd.htm

I started the peanut butter on toast as i read somewhere it was high in protein and just because i love it on hot toast yum yum.

dropinthebucket
January 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, I also have the racoon eyes, which can be a symptom of thyroid issues. The skin around the eyes has darkened considerably in the last year.

xoxophelia
January 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Perhaps you should go to see a doctor? If you skin is suddenly getting very dry and your hair growth has slown down a whole lot I wonder if there is something going on. Some people do have naturally slower hair growth rates though.

CurlAhead
January 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, I also have the racoon eyes, which can be a symptom of thyroid issues. The skin around the eyes has darkened considerably in the last year.
I got a letter from my doctor today, who said that the blood sample shows a slow increase.. of something which could make my thyorid a bit "tired", but that it should'nt cause me any troubles... And that I should get back to them im a year.. Hmmm.. Don't remember exactly, but I'll read it again tomorrow. Since I am exposed to some of its "symptomes" that effect me in a bad way, it might be a reason to contact him again
Have you seeked help for your thyorid? I thought my dark circles was something I imagined, but I recently got a comment about it.. :/

Perhaps you should go to see a doctor? If you skin is suddenly getting very dry and your hair growth has slown down a whole lot I wonder if there is something going on. Some people do have naturally slower hair growth rates though.

Yes... I am thinking of calling my doctor to see if I maybe should try with vitamims supplements...

hazelnut
January 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I know that with curls it takes quite a while to actually see any new growth (I'm STILL waiting to see some type of proof that my hair is actually growing.) You say that you are eating right so maybe that isn't the problem. Maybe you need to get more exercise (this could also be my problem too.) Look at how you do your hair. Do you tend to tug on it a little too hard when you're combing it? Do you run your fingers through your hair often? Do you put your hair up and out of your face in a protective style to get it away from the elements? All of these things could be possible factors. Just keep working on it. Your hair is growing. As long as you are living and breathing, it's growing. So, don't give up hope!:)

McFearless
January 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
CurlAhead have you tried using monistat? It boosted my very slow growth. Unfortunately it got too expensive after many months so I've stopped.

You might also want to look into rosemary rinses, scalp massages with oil, exercise, castor oil, biotin and a multivitamin.

Malibu Barbie
January 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Exercise is a big one. My hair and nails grow like crazy. I used to workout everyday. I had an injury and since, my hair is slowing some. I notice if I do an hour a day of biking or walking my hair grows faster. I can't wait to get back to my regular routine. My hairdresser says circulation has everything to do with it.

dropinthebucket
January 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I got a letter from my doctor today, who said that the blood sample shows a slow increase.. of something which could make my thyorid a bit "tired", but that it should'nt cause me any troubles... And that I should get back to them im a year.. Hmmm..

I've been taking a naturopath recommended herbal formulation for sluggish thyroid - it has iodine, L-tyrosine, guggal, and ashwaganhda (last two, Indian herbs) - I also chew a small spoonful of myrrh each day, and that's helped, too.

CurlAhead
January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I know that with curls it takes quite a while to actually see any new growth (I'm STILL waiting to see some type of proof that my hair is actually growing.) You say that you are eating right so maybe that isn't the problem. Maybe you need to get more exercise (this could also be my problem too.) Look at how you do your hair. Do you tend to tug on it a little too hard when you're combing it? Do you run your fingers through your hair often? Do you put your hair up and out of your face in a protective style to get it away from the elements? All of these things could be possible factors. Just keep working on it. Your hair is growing. As long as you are living and breathing, it's growing. So, don't give up hope!:)

Yeah, of course. It looks shorter when it is "as curly as it can be", but I have dyed my hair so I look at my outgrowth(?). I can brush it very violent sometimes, when I get mad because it is so darn tangled, but not too often. But, I have done this all my life. :rolleyes: Yes, I do run my fingers through my hair, a lot. I detangle it carefully several times a day because it gets so tangled in such a sort time, and I try to keep my hair in protective updos, but I feel I fail on that part... Thinking of also getting a satin pillowcase, it might help a little....
Thank you, I am trying to keep it up! Just that sometimes I just feel like :justy:

CurlAhead have you tried using monistat? It boosted my very slow growth. Unfortunately it got too expensive after many months so I've stopped.

You might also want to look into rosemary rinses, scalp massages with oil, exercise, castor oil, biotin and a multivitamin.

We don't have Monistat where I live, but I tried Daktar for a while, only that it contained paraffin, and because of that it didn't work with the CO routine.

Exercise is a big one. My hair and nails grow like crazy. I used to workout everyday. I had an injury and since, my hair is slowing some. I notice if I do an hour a day of biking or walking my hair grows faster. I can't wait to get back to my regular routine. My hairdresser says circulation has everything to do with it.

Hm, yes... Might be a reason, I used to work out 5 times a week, + sport in school twice a week, and have gone from that to just sport in school. I try to go to the gym on regular basis but I have to admit, it is kind of hard.

I've been taking a naturopath recommended herbal formulation for sluggish thyroid - it has iodine, L-tyrosine, guggal, and ashwaganhda (last two, Indian herbs) - I also chew a small spoonful of myrrh each day, and that's helped, too.

How good that it has helped, I am glad for you! Maybe I should look for something that includes all the vitamins and minerals, silica etc. Just that I don't know how much I need... :p
My doctor wrote that the metabolic test(?) shows a slow increase of thyroid stimulating hormone, which can indicate that the thyroidea is a little "tired", but that thyroxine still shows good levels that should not give any deficiency symptoms.It is probably a physiological normal variant. To be honest, I have no idea what he means by that. :p

longhairvixen
May 18th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Drink more water and get more sleep