PDA

View Full Version : Looping your braid through itself to make it shorter?

chopandchange
August 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Does anyone with VERY long hair do this?

I saw a VERY long-haired person wear her hair like this in a video (I think it was a video of Cindy Christian on Youtube.) It looks like a good way to double up your braid and get it out of the way for times when you want to stop it dangling down your back, but I'm just curious as to how exactly it's done. It's not something I've come across on LHC.

Does anyone know if there's a tutorial anywhere? I'm just curious. It's not like my hair is long enough yet to need to double up my braids!

I'm assuming you just braid your hair, then grab the tassle and bring it up to the top of the braid and, as a means of securing it, you poke it through one of the "gaps" in the braid. But how to deal with the resulting tuft of hair sticking out? Surely you would have to cover it with something?

fisher2
August 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
id guess you tuck it under a hairtye at the top

LeaM07
August 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I wore my hair like that quite a bit before I discovered LHC and updos (it's still a nice fall-back for airplane rides). I didn't poke mine through a braid gap, I just folded it in half and tucked in the ends at the nape (blog post about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=19534)). :)

I've seen others poke the hair up through one of the gaps and curl the ends, thus making a braid loop with a curly pouf on top (which was cute, but maybe not as hair-friendly ;)).

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Put a tie at the top, feed tassel thru tie. May for extra hold want to add a tie around the top and tail.

Capybara
August 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I do this when I wear a baseball cap :) I can't fit a bun under the hat, but the folded braid isn't nearly as far down my back as a regular ponytail. I just loop the tassel through the elastic, like you described, and leave the ends making a little tuft - they don't really bother me, but I'm sure you could make them neater by wrapping them around or bobby pinning them or something.

chopandchange
August 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Interesting to know some people do this!

I think the whole point of doing it in the way I saw on the video was that no hair ties were needed, though.

little_cherry
August 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
When my hair was long, my mother used to braid it. First off, she'd start the braid loosely at the top and resume normal tightness to the bottom of the hair. Then she'd grab the tassle and feed it through the very start of the braid (where it is loose), pull the braid through until the tassle and the fold are the same length and tuck the tassle in the loop and secure with a couple of pins...usually, she's tie a ribbon at the top.

chopandchange
August 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
When my hair was long, my mother used to braid it. First off, she'd start the braid loosely at the top and resume normal tightness to the bottom of the hair. Then she'd grab the tassle and feed it through the very start of the braid (where it is loose), pull the braid through until the tassle and the fold are the same length and tuck the tassle in the loop and secure with a couple of pins...usually, she's tie a ribbon at the top.

I understood your instructions right up until you said "in the loop." What loop do you mean? Would you mind explaining? Your mother's method sounds very interesting!

emmebean
August 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I tuck mine under at the nape of my neck and secure it with a Spin Pin. Works wonderfully.

Igor
August 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I have been experimenting with tucking the end of the braid up inside the beginning of the braid and looping it over a clip

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3895&pictureid=74564

LeaM07
August 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Wow. :bigeyes: Awesome braid, Igor.

/hijack

Stagecoach
August 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Igor, your hair is looking stunning as always!

Igor
August 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you LeaM07 and Stagecoach :flowers:

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I would think by doing this method, it would give your braid a "shorter" appearance. However, it depend on your hair texture. I'll loop or tuck mine if I don't want to deal with the tail hanging down, and getting in the way, but I still have to deal with securing my length.

Anytime Igor posts an example pic, it always hi-jacks the thread :p :D
We all stop for a minute in amazement! See, she can't hide her length or thickness! ;)

Igor
August 21st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Anytime Igor posts an example pic, it always hi-jacks the thread :p :D
We all stop for a minute in amazement! See, she can't hide her length or thickness! ;)

My sincere apologies for that :eyebrows:

christine1989
August 21st, 2010, 03:49 AM
I do the same thing with ponytails or when I bunch my hair into a claw clip- I can't wait to be able to do it with a braid.