PDA

View Full Version : Formal Styles for Men

Fingolphin
August 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Just looking for thoughts and opinions on this matter: what do you all think are good formal hairstyles for men with long hair? What looks nice and dressy for a formal or fancy occasion?

ldc441
August 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
a long braid is very nice

Gumball
August 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
That's all up to you really. That's where your imagination and skill set (or helper's skill set) comes in handy! So long as you're comfortable wearing a style, wear whatever you want. That tends to be what I do. I go all up most often.

Danaus plexippu
August 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
In Beauty and the Beast, the beast turned into the handsome prince and his soft, brown, flowing locks were pulled back into a low, loose pony at the nape of his neck while he looked dapper in his dress clothes...ah how I love the handome princes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms05La1pDIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjp5caC_BE&feature=related

sibiryachka
August 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
It would of course depend on what else the man was wearing, but a braid or ponytail is always a classic - maybe even a French braid? Loose can also look great with formal wear, like with a kilt... le rowr rowr!

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
DF has past APL locs. He'll wear a low ponytail, but mostly just loose. My vote is loose :D

Themyst
August 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've always thought of a low ponytail as formal for men.

david
August 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Well I had a formal event recently and wore my hair in a french braid, just to do something different than the usual ponytail or english braid. It seened to go down well at the event with people either giving compliments or asking how I done it.

I think that as long as you have confidence and feel comfortable you can do any style you wish.

LaurelSpring
August 19th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, I was thinking French braid as well. Somewhere around here awhile back someone posted a nice picture of a man in a suit with a french braid and it looked great.

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
If they have enough hair for it, I think that a hawser braid can look very classy and formal.

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hawser is double rope braid? How much hair is needed?

Roseate
August 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I always admire braids on men. Fishtail braids always seem like a more masculine style to me, though I have no idea why I think that! Possibly something put into my head by LOTR movies...

little_acorn
August 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
DH usually wears his loose or in a low pony. I prefer it loose :eyebrows:

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hawser is double rope braid? How much hair is needed?

I've never seen it on people with length like APL, so I am not sure. I have only seen on on people with waist length or longer.

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Well then, he just gets to wear his hair loose. Not like he'll get tangles. Tho a guy with well cared for hair doesn't have a lot of mistakes with hair.

kittensoupnrice
August 19th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I always admire braids on men. Fishtail braids always seem like a more masculine style to me, though I have no idea why I think that! Possibly something put into my head by LOTR movies...

You're not alone. I think fishtail braids are very masculine.

I also really like the four and five strand braids on men, since they tend to be wider and flatter.

Djinmonet
August 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
My fiance has hair about 3 inch from waist length. On formal occasions, he wears it in a low ponytail, with a more classy elastic arrangement.
I think the key to it looking good is tidy ends, and hair flowing neatly across the scalp into the tail.

I actually prefer a man's hair loose in formal wear, but so many see that as not appropriate, even for women.

Djinmonet
August 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I just looked up this Hawser braid... Mmmmm :eyebrows:

He is so doing that. Soon. Formal occasion or no..lol

misstwist
August 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I think a low ponytail and braids of any kind are great formal looks. I like them accented with a velvet ribbon. Tied in a small bow or a short ribbon with shaped ends tied in a square knot so the ends stick out. Think of it as a bow tie for your hair.

Fingolphin
August 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
There are some amazing hairstyles in the LOTR movies.

Atlantic
August 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I like the idea of a queue tied with a velvet or silk ribbon - like the officers' queue depicted on this page (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81832).

Capybara
August 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I like the bunny tail style on guys :) It's a little dressier than a ponytail, and looks really nice.

Fingolphin
August 19th, 2010, 09:09 PM
What is the bunny tail style?

DreadfulWoman
October 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
My boyfriend likes me to do his hair in a low braided ponytail for work. That might look nice as a formal 'do. But I think a regular braid with 4 strands or more can look very classy and masculine, as well.