PDA

View Full Version : needed EASY ELEGANT hairstyle (>APL) ...

redneckprincess
August 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
that can be dont repeaditly for 11 days..

(This is for my job, I am a movie background extra)

I have to do something to my hair for the next 2 weeks that can be REDONE every (week)day, or even saved overnight, thats not to complicated.
my hair is ALMOST APL with layers, it needs to look elegant as I will be wearing a homecoming/prom type dress...I cant tell you much about it, and truthfully I dont know much yet. But I was begining to think what I should do to my hair, knowing the fact that I dont like to wear my hair the same for to many days in a row, but HAVING to for this occasion..

Last time I worked on THIS set, I wore it down and messy (was told to) this time, so far we havent been given any instructions.

also keep in mind that I have a strip through the mid section of my hair MP- RED, (hoping to find a red/pink dress) so any up-do will have nice red sections blasting through...(kind of punker look) which is ok

any ideas appricated (pics and instructions or youtube toutorials will help)

Heidi_234
August 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
French Twist?
Gibson Tuck?

Venefica
August 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
When I was a teenager I had this hair tool, I was a piece of fabric with a wire inside in and a hole in the middle. I would then pull my hair through the hole and roll the hair up into a bun, it was done in a few minutes, looked elegant and way very easy. Such a tool should be easy to make.

Heidi_234
August 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
When I was a teenager I had this hair tool, I was a piece of fabric with a wire inside in and a hole in the middle. I would then pull my hair through the hole and roll the hair up into a bun, it was done in a few minutes, looked elegant and way very easy. Such a tool should be easy to make.
Mmm... Topsy tail! That's a good one too :thumbsup:

Venefica
August 19th, 2010, 07:43 AM
A topsy tail is a good idea, but it was not really what I had in mind. The tool I had in mind looked like ribbon, but there where wire inside in, then one pull the hair into a hole in the center of the ribbon and then just roll the hair up and fasten the ribbon under the bun.

GlassEyes
August 19th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I'd go the french twist route. It's easy, and you can do it quickly with pins, AND your hair is the perfect length for it. There's videos on youtube, and probably an article in the article section.

What you do is Smooth out your hair, and twist it, laying it flat against your skull. If it doesn't reach up past the top of the back of your head, grab the right (or left side, if you prefer), and take a section from the bottom, and pull it up. Pin that. If it DOES reach past the top, fold it over and roll it into itself, pull the section from the bottom, and pin. Make sure to pin the top point firmly.

If you have layers, I'd hairspray before you make the twist to make sure it stays for the movie. Actually, even without it.

Phexlyn
August 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I second French twist or Gibson Tuck, also a topsy tail half-up could look nice. If you can manage a chignon without hair falling out after a while, this can look very elegant but only works if the neckline of your dress allows it. It might look strange or tug at your hair with some necklines or necklaces.

I'm not sure if you can do those pinned retro curls/retro twists, they are probably too much hassle.

lillylonghair
August 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I think a messy side bun would fit the bill. It's kind young but still dressy and would look cool with red going through it.

Marjolein
August 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM
A regular sock bun might also be an option?

Venefica
August 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I found basically what I was talking about on ebay, this one is plastic and not fabric but same concept.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SET-10-PCS-Hair-Twist-Make-Bun-Styling-Clip-Stick-/370420320354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

teela1978
August 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I vote for french twist as well. They're comfortable, and I always found them easy to reproduce.

Speckla
August 19th, 2010, 09:15 AM
A french twist secured with a flexi8 is very pretty and easy.

MissCoco
August 19th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Braided sock buns are also elegant. :)

Kome
August 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'd vote for a french twist or sock bun. Both are really easy. I think the sock bun is a bit more elegant looking, but it's also bulkier. The french twist needs more pins to hold up. I'd give them both a try and see what you think is easiest and stays best. :)

hmmm
August 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Nobody's suggested a folded dutch braid - it's my favourite style right now, and I'm around the same length as you. It's classy and easy and you get lots of compliments!

Peggy E.
August 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
If it's a "prom" and that red-in-the-hair look, the thing that came to mind and would be easy to have looking the same for that many days in a row, is the big bun like the one from the movie "Buffy, the Vampire Killer." (Not the television series, the movie, Kristy Swanson, Luke Perry)

She's got hers up with a bun-form, with hair the same length as yours, and it stays put, looks elegant and the red streak would really shine out, too.

tinti
August 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
you could get a lot of claw clips, the mini kind or pins and make a ballerina ish bun by putting your hair in a pony and twist section into balls and pin them down, that's what I did a lot when I was apl and needed a formal style. I usually did this with damp or wet hair because it held and kind of fastened in the swirls better :) Didn't take more than 3-5 mins. But what you also could do is make a braided bun if your hair is long enough to braid.

redneckprincess
August 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Nobody's suggested a folded dutch braid - it's my favourite style right now, and I'm around the same length as you. It's classy and easy and you get lots of compliments!
what is a folded dutch braid

I was thinking a flixi would be a great touch, but I also bought a big flower clip I might use insted...I'll try a few out tonight and post pics (of the outfit too...didnt go quite "prom" trendy, but still dressy)

so I'll be back and with pics later today or early tomorrow morning and you all can vote!!
sounds cool... Thanks ☺

you could get a lot of claw clips, the mini kind or pins and make a ballerina ish bun by putting your hair in a pony and twist section into balls and pin them down, that's what I did a lot when I was apl and needed a formal style. I usually did this with damp or wet hair because it held and kind of fastened in the swirls better :) Didn't take more than 3-5 mins. But what you also could do is make a braided bun if your hair is long enough to braid.

sounds cool, I will give it a try...actually Ive done this b4 with bobbi pins...or something like what its making me think about

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3270&pictureid=41648

triumphator!
August 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
What about this?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63

I know for a fact you can do it with shoulder length hair, too!

eezepeeze
August 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM
What about a lace braid into a side bun? That would be a trendy, but elegant style.

redneckprincess
August 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
What about a lace braid into a side bun? That would be a trendy, but elegant style.
what is a lace braid?

What about this?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63

I know for a fact you can do it with shoulder length hair, too!

ooo.. very cute and looks so simple, I'll give it a shot!! thanks

christine1989
August 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM
A french twist is always classy and easy. A high sock bun with a few accent curls would also look great if you can manage it.

hmmm
August 20th, 2010, 01:25 AM
what is a folded dutch braid

It's basically a dutch braid folded up underneath itself and pinned in place with u-pins, bobby pins or a flexi. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102&highlight=folded+dutch) is a picture of the same thing 'frenched' instead of dutched, but IMO dutch looks cooler. HTH.

redneckprincess
August 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
im obviously not getting around to posting those pictures but I am trying several of these suggested styles, and thinking i may go with a sockbun or french twist

missmagoo
August 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I was going to suggest a side sock bun- sounds like you've got a good plan.