PDA

View Full Version : COing and Clarifying

allnaturalboy
August 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
How many of you who CO HAVE to clarify?
I can understand clarifying if you use products or leave ins with cones and such,
but how many of you just CO with a cone-free conditioner and do nothing else(except maybe oil) have to clarify?

I'm wondering because CO makes my hair so wonderfully soft and shiny that I kind of never want to shampoo again. Think I could get away with that?
If not, are there any ways to dissolve build up without shampoo? (I'm also worrying about re-transitioning into CO if I ever do have to shampoo)

Qwerty Uiop
August 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
You don't have to go back to shampooing.

Even when I overdo a deep oiling with an oil that's way too heavy for my hair type, I can get it out with a baking soda rinse. I use 1 tbsp of baking soda mixed with a pint of water. There's no hoodoo involved: baking soda is a very mild alkali and you know what you get when you combine an alalkali with fat, like the excess oil from your failed experiment or the natural sebum from your scalp?

That's right, kiddies, it's called SOAP!!!

Luna12345
August 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM
You can clarify hair with apple cider vinegar. mix some in a bowl with water and pour it over your head in the shower and rinse....it also makes ur hair feel squeeky clean!...the smell will be gone once u use conditioner.

LILBERT
August 19th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Honestly i felt exactly the same. I was CO washing and my hair felt fantastic and i never wanted to use shampoo again! :D Then my hair didnt wash so clean after a while and felt a bit blah. So i did a CWC to clarify and my hair was happy again! then the next time i did another shampoo and my hair was not so happy, so i switched to CO washing again. Now ive settled into a CO washing routine and i look out for the signs that a clarify is needed.
I guess what im saying is, you just gotta listen to what your hairs trying to say. If you hairs happy without clarifying, dont worry about it! There are plenty of people here who dont need to. There are also plenty who do. When your hairs not seeming so wonderful and happy, try a little shampoo or whatever, you may be surprised that your hair suddenly feelt wonderful an happy again. Then you can go on CO washing.

.:Alma:.
August 19th, 2010, 01:37 AM
ACV rinse works great after CO washing for me!

RadiantNeedle
August 19th, 2010, 03:38 AM
What's CWC? Forgive my newness! I seem to have worked out most of the other abbreviations :D

chopandchange
August 19th, 2010, 03:52 AM
CWC = Condition Wash Condition

It means you put conditioner on your hair to protect it before shampooing, then you condition it again after shampooing as well.

RadiantNeedle
August 19th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Ooooh! Hmm.. I might give this a try... I have so much shampoo I feel guilty not using it >.< Might help with the horrible greasies. If I still get itch-attacks and flaking from the poo, I'll try some ACV or baking soda!
Thanks!

Barefoot5555
August 27th, 2010, 08:20 AM
So, I just want to make sure I understand how you all "clarify" your hair.

- some use an ACV rinse and others use regular shampoo?

and the purpose of clarifying is to remove buildup from conditioners and oils/waxes? do I understand this correctly?

And you do this every so often when your hair seems dull or heavy?

Please help me understand this - thanks
Thanks, BF